Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » first report totals, then select parameter and filter
first report totals, then select parameter and filter [message #1059789] Tue, 21 May 2013 15:33 Go to next message
José Litux is currently offline José LituxFriend
Hello everybody

I need a hint about how to create a report using 2 parameters (country , city), surely cascading, but I'm not sure if I'm approaching the right way to get the desired behaviour:

option A:

1.a- On first load you select country from a combo box, an a pie chart and some grids are populated with summarized totals for the selected country.

2.a- I need a button (or any other way) to ask for the second parameter (city) and after selection, same totals and charts are populated, but filtering the data based on the city selected.

option B:

1.b.- On first load you got two combo-box. Select country from first, and then...

2.b.- Select city from the second, or an option for "ALL CITIES".

If you select "all cities", result is the same as 1.a option.
If you select any city, result is the same as 2.a option.

On option A, I don't know how to ask for second parameter, or even if it's possible.

On option B, I've reached the point when the second combobox is showing the cities from the selected country (on the same window) but I don't know how to insert "ALL CITIES" option.
If I leave it blank a message says:"the parameter city cannot be blank", but if I force a value always end on an error:

+ An exception occurred during processing. Please see the following message for details:
Failed to prepare the query execution for the data set: avg_city
Cannot convert the parameter value * (or ?, or any value I've tried) to type class java.lang.Integer.
Can not convert the value of * to Integer type. 

(city is selected using the integer id value)

Any hint would be much appreciated, I'm really lost

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: first report totals, then select parameter and filter [message #1059874 is a reply to message #1059789] Wed, 22 May 2013 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

One option I could see would be to create two separate reports. The first would have just the country parameter. The user would select the country and the report would load with your country summary data. In that report, you could populate a list of available cities for the user to click if they wanted to limit the data further which would load a new report passing the country and city values. Another option would be a link that says, limit further by city, passing the country to the new report and popping up a new parameter page for the city to be selected. Let me know if either of these work.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: first report totals, then select parameter and filter [message #1059904 is a reply to message #1059874] Wed, 22 May 2013 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
José Litux is currently offline José LituxFriend
Hi Michael

That option came to mind, but I can have more than 100 cities for a given country, so a list of available cities would be overwhelming for the users.

So, the problem is how to present the cities list to he users.
What do you mean by "populate a list of available cities for the user to click"
a combo-box? a list box? a list of links? a parameter?

thanks for your response

[Updated on: Wed, 22 May 2013 07:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: first report totals, then select parameter and filter [message #1060082 is a reply to message #1059904] Thu, 23 May 2013 02:40 Go to previous message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

There are several ways you could do it. You could have a grid and several lists (one in each column) and filter them to have several columns of cities. You could populate a HTML drop down list in the report if only using HTML outputs. Also with HTML outputs only, you could do the first option with a choose city button that would show/hide the lists. I think I said this above, but you could simply have a link that says "Narrow by City" and that links to another report where the cities would be listed in the parameter page. There are probably a couple other options as well.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Previous Topic:Postscript Level and Tray selection Problem
Next Topic:Displaying large variance of values in bar chart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:27:09 GMT 2024