Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Chart support for arabic (BiDi- bidirectional text(Chart support for arabic (BiDi- bidirectional text)
Chart support for arabic (BiDi- bidirectional text [message #1057871] Thu, 09 May 2013 13:14 Go to next message
Anthony Farrell is currently offline Anthony FarrellFriend
I would like to get some clarification on what bidirectional support (BiDi) means for the chart enginge.

for example for a bar chart:

1) does the chart engine automatically dectect arabic characters and render the chart title, series labels, axis labels differently?
2) For a bar chart does the origin point change to the right hand side? E.g. in a tradional standard bar chart the origin point would be in the bottom left corner, for Arabic languages does this change to the bottom right corner ?

3) Are there any know issues I need to be aware of before support our application charts with Arabic for example ?
Re: Chart support for arabic (BiDi- bidirectional text [message #1057916 is a reply to message #1057871] Thu, 09 May 2013 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Bidi text support was added back in BIRT 2.3:

http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/notable2.3.php#jump_7

Report orientation is now a setting that you can set in the property editor. When setting this to right to left, the orientation of the chart does not appear to change. This can be done manually though by selecting to reverse the categories for the x-axis and moving the y-axis to the max position rather than the min. I would assume that Arabic text would be treated properly. Have you tried this, yet? Are you using just the chart engine?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Chart support for arabic (BiDi- bidirectional text [message #1062213 is a reply to message #1057916] Thu, 06 June 2013 14:22 Go to previous message
Anthony Farrell is currently offline Anthony FarrellFriend
I have not tried this yet, I was hoping that BIRT would be a bit like Flash, in that it would detect that the character symbol was e.g. Arabic, or defect that the locale was from a coutry that has "right to left characters" and re-orient the chart as required.

I was hoping that we would not need to apply code changes to our charts, as our charts must work with the 9 tier languages.
Previous Topic:Change DataSource and Render a PDF
Next Topic:Treemap based vizualisation ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:22:29 GMT 2024