Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » WANTED: Drill Down Tutorial
WANTED: Drill Down Tutorial [message #1053823] Tue, 07 May 2013 18:09 Go to next message
Marc Horvath is currently offline Marc HorvathFriend
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to create a report that contains a table of summary information where when I click on any line in the table it expands to show me the details that went into that line. I believe this is a drill down. I've found example reports but I'm looking for a guide on how to create one not just an example. The example I've already found works but I don't know how pick it apart and learn from it. I hope there's a step by step tutorial somewhere on how to do something like this.

Thanks in advance,
Marc
marc@andrewsandwatson.com
Re: WANTED: Drill Down Tutorial [message #1053857 is a reply to message #1053823] Tue, 07 May 2013 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kristopher Clark is currently offline Kristopher ClarkFriend
Check out this link it's a flash tutorial showing how to create a drill through report that might be useful. Smile
Re: WANTED: Drill Down Tutorial [message #1057725 is a reply to message #1053857] Wed, 08 May 2013 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Horvath is currently offline Marc HorvathFriend
Hi Krisopher,

Thanks for your reply and the link. The only problem is the example shows how to link one report, a master list, to a second report, a detail list. I want to create one report where in the master list I can expand any line item and display the details that support it. I know it can be done because I've seen an example of it. However, I have no idea how to create it. I'm looking for a 'how to' guide on how that can be done.
Re: WANTED: Drill Down Tutorial [message #1057920 is a reply to message #1057725] Thu, 09 May 2013 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kristopher Clark is currently offline Kristopher ClarkFriend
I've attached an example on how you can do this using drill-through links.

First I created a table and grouped on the customer name. I then removed the customer name from the group detail row leaving it only in the group header and added a hidden parameter called "customer".

Next I put payment date and amount in the detail row bellow the group header and made that entire row invisible from properties > visibility. The key to making these expand and collapse is the expression I used for the visibility of that row.

if(row["CUSTOMERNAME"]==params["customer"].value) {
  false;
}else{
  true;
}

Then I created the hyperlink by selecting "customer name" from the header row > hyperlink. I selected itself as the target report. To pass the value of the customer name back to itself as a parameter you'll need to click "Add", choose "customer" as the parameter and row["CUSTOMERNAME"] as the value.

This will pass the value of whatever you click on back to itself through that hidden parameter. Finally you'll need to select "same frame" in step 4 of the hyperlink UI.

Now if you run the report you should be able to click on any customer name and it will expand the payments they have made. When you click on another customer the old one should close and you should be left with the new information.

Let me know if this helps!
Re: WANTED: Drill Down Tutorial [message #1774885 is a reply to message #1057920] Fri, 20 October 2017 19:37 Go to previous message
Bill Yee is currently offline Bill YeeFriend
This thread was very useful for what I'm trying to do.

But... what would I need to change if I want expanded customers to stay expanded if I click another customer and re-clicked customers to close?

I'd really appreciate any assistance.
Previous Topic:BIRT - Merging Data from 2 Rows
Next Topic:Chart from a crosstab
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:39:53 GMT 2024