Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » VIATRA » [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported(Problems with importing uml files from models created in other UML tool (Innovator) to Model Space)
[Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1052270] Mon, 29 April 2013 22:05 Go to next message
Alexander Fülleborn is currently offline Alexander FüllebornFriend
Hi there,

I create my graphical models with the modeling platform "MID Innovator" and export them to XMI. Then I import them to the eclipse project which works pretty fine as all model elements are created there. If I then try to import them to the VIATRA model space, only 2 model elements are taken over: The model itself and a package or in other cases one specific class.

I attached the bundle of files that are created by Innovator. The relevant file to import is "Fowler's GUI classes example.uml".

I would very much appreciate your support Wink).

Thanks and kind regards, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1053056 is a reply to message #1052270] Thu, 02 May 2013 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abel Hegedus is currently offline Abel HegedusFriend
Hello Alex,

thanks for providing an example for your question. We will take a look at it soon and get back to you!
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1053085 is a reply to message #1053056] Thu, 02 May 2013 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Abel,

thanks a lot! Your support is very much appreciated.

KR, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1053106 is a reply to message #1053085] Thu, 02 May 2013 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have tried the example and could import the relevant file without problems, the resulting model element included the model for that file and the used profiles as well.

That means that there is some kind of configuration difference between our environments.
- Can you describe the versions you use: Eclipse, VIATRA2, UML, VIATRA2 UML importer?
- Do you run the importer in a host or runtime Eclipse?
- Can you either run Eclipse with console log or a runtime Eclipse to see if there are any error messages when you try to import the model? If you can find the log, please attach the appropriate parts.
- Did you try to create a clean VPM model space?
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1053386 is a reply to message #1053106] Sat, 04 May 2013 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Abel,

here is my version data:
Eclipse-Version:
(Juno-Release)
1.5.1.20120917-1257

VIATRA2
(VIATRA2 R3 Model Transformation Framework Core Components) Version 3.3.0.201205150016

UML
(UML2 Extender SDK) Version 4.02.v20130114-0902

VIATRA2 UML Importer:
(VIATRA2 EMF Importer) Version 0.4.0.201203110015

I run Eclipse in a runtime mode.

I will in parallel try to find a log of the import process.

I tried also to run the import in a clean VIATRA model space. However, it still does not work ;-(.

Thanks and kind regards, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1053415 is a reply to message #1053386] Sun, 05 May 2013 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

I believe that the VIATRA UML importer only works with UML 3.1 or less.
Also, the EMF importer and the UML importer are different things. You _can_ import UML models as EMF models, but you will have to first import the uml.ecore metamodels with the EMF metamodel importer.

Follow-up questions:
- do you have a "UML 2.2 importer" menu item in your model space -> native importers list?
- do you have a "uml" entity in your model space, or is there only "nemf"?

I will ask our team members if anyone ported the UML importer to the 4.0 version (it requires the regeneration of a lot of code from the metamodel, and some manual changes to support profiles).
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1057852 is a reply to message #1053415] Thu, 09 May 2013 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Abel,

I believe that the VIATRA UML importer only works with UML 3.1 or less.
> In the Juno release of Eclipse, this is not offered in the "Install Software" area.

Also, the EMF importer and the UML importer are different things. You _can_ import UML models as EMF models, but you will have to first import the uml.ecore metamodels with the EMF metamodel importer.

Follow-up questions:
- do you have a "UML 2.2 importer" menu item in your model space -> native importers list?
> Yes, I have this menu item.

- do you have a "uml" entity in your model space, or is there only "nemf"?
> Yes, I have a "uml" entity in my model space.

I will ask our team members if anyone ported the UML importer to the 4.0 version (it requires the regeneration of a lot of code from the metamodel, and some manual changes to support profiles).
> Thanks. This would be great, of course. Do you already have an answer to this? What are your plans?

Kind regards, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1057882 is a reply to message #1057852] Thu, 09 May 2013 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

we have not ported the importer to UML 4.0 and I'm sorry to say that we have no timeframe for doing it.
Unfortunately, we don't have any free development resources in May, but we are planning a release in the summer and we might be able to include this as well.

As for installing UML2 Tools, I know that the Juno update site includes only the newer version. Older versions can be found at the downloads section of http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=uml2 or from the Helios Update Site.
Since I managed to import your models in an environment with Eclipse UML 3.1, you should be able to do that as well.

Finally, the importer plugin erroneously only gives a minimum version (3.0.0) for UML and no maximum version (3.1), which is why you could install it but it did not work correctly.
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1057905 is a reply to message #1057882] Thu, 09 May 2013 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

This is not correct. UML2 Tools is dead; the project is not listed as an
Eclipse project.

You can find downloads at
http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/downloads/index.php?project=uml2tools,
but the Indigo pre-release is the last version.

Since MDT/UML2 made a major version change for Juno to support UML
2.4.1, all UML projects that have not been built since then are only
useable in legacy pre-Juno configurations.

Use Papyrus if you want UML diagrams.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 09/05/2013 15:49, Abel Hegedus wrote:
>
> As for installing UML2 Tools, I know that the Juno update site
> includes only the newer version. Older versions can be found at the
> downloads section of http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/?project=uml2
> or from the Helios Update Site.
> Since I managed to import your models in an environment with Eclipse
> UML 3.1, you should be able to do that as well.
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1057906 is a reply to message #1057905] Thu, 09 May 2013 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks Ed for the clarification!
I meant to say MDT/UML2 (or UML2 Extender SDK as the feature is called), since we only need the metamodels, not UML2 Tools for diagrams.
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1057921 is a reply to message #1057906] Thu, 09 May 2013 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Abel, hi Ed,

thanks a lot for this quick and valuable information!

According to your proposals, I will now deinstall the 4.0 UML SDK from Eclipse and install the 3.0.X version. Of course, I can imagine your development time restrictions, and it is great to learn that you plan a release this summer for the importer for 4.0.

I will try out your proposal and let you know the results.

Kind regards, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1058043 is a reply to message #1057921] Fri, 10 May 2013 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello again,

I ended up installing the Galileo release. Everything went fine (all dependencies were fulfilled), but when trying to install VIATRA2, I got an error message "Problems downloading artifact: osgi.bundle, org.eclipse.m2m.qvt.oml.runtime, 2.0.0.v20090608-830. File has invalid content:C:\DOKUME~1\ADMINI~1\Temp\signatureFile6033411915178465886.jar Invalid content: lib/antTasks.jar". I tried to install from http://static.info.mit.bme.hu/viatra/update/R3.1.

Do you have any idea how to solve this?

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1058109 is a reply to message #1058043] Sat, 11 May 2013 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I don't know where you found that link, but please use the update site found here http://viatra.inf.mit.bme.hu/update/viatra-ci/
Unfortunately the UML Importer feature is also called EMF Importer, so it's a bit confusing, we will correct that. If you only want the UML Importer, select the one which has the version ending with "46" (see the list of included features here http://incquery.net/update/viatra-ci/features/).

As for the error message, I don't think VIATRA2 uses QVT in any way, which would mean the problem may not be strictly related to VIATRA2.

Hope this helps!
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1058122 is a reply to message #1058043] Sun, 12 May 2013 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

The Internet is not 100% reliable. It looks like you just got a bad
download.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 10/05/2013 16:20, Alexander Fülleborn wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I ended up installing the Galileo release. Everything went fine (all
> dependencies were fulfilled), but when trying to install VIATRA2, I
> got an error message "Problems downloading artifact: osgi.bundle,
> org.eclipse.m2m.qvt.oml.runtime, 2.0.0.v20090608-830. File has invalid
> content:C:\DOKUME~1\ADMINI~1\Temp\signatureFile6033411915178465886.jar
> Invalid content: lib/antTasks.jar". I tried to install from
> http://static.info.mit.bme.hu/viatra/update/R3.1.
>
> Do you have any idea how to solve this?
>
> Thanks a lot and kind regards, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1058394 is a reply to message #1058122] Mon, 13 May 2013 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks a lot. I found that link from a description of the installation of VIATRA2, see http://www.theoinf.tu-ilmenau.de/~qurat/B2UProject/subsite/Uploads/InstallationGuide.pdf.

I will try your proposal...

KR, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1061083 is a reply to message #1058394] Wed, 29 May 2013 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello again,

I have still not been able to import the model successfully. Can you provide me your versions according to your earlier answer, see:

"I have tried the example and could import the relevant file without problems, the resulting model element included the model for that file and the used profiles as well.

That means that there is some kind of configuration difference between our environments.
- Can you describe the versions you use: Eclipse, VIATRA2, UML, VIATRA2 UML importer?
- Do you run the importer in a host or runtime Eclipse?
- Can you either run Eclipse with console log or a runtime Eclipse to see if there are any error messages when you try to import the model? If you can find the log, please attach the appropriate parts.
- Did you try to create a clean VPM model space?"

Thanks in advance and kind regards, Alex
Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1061845 is a reply to message #1061083] Tue, 04 June 2013 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alex,

below is the main features that I have installed in my Eclipse (edit: this is an archive Eclipse of course, but it is where I tested your file):
- Eclipse SDK 3.6.2.M20110210-1200
- EMF - Eclipse Modeling Framework SDK 2.6.1.v20100914-1218
- UML2 Extender SDK 3.1.2.v201010261927

I have VIATRA checked out from SVN, but it is the same as what you get by installing:
- VIATRA2 R3 Model Transformation Framework Core Components (Incubation) 3.3.0.201302241742
- VIATRA2 UML Importer 0.4.0.201305111426

You can try starting your Eclipse with -console or find the log in the .metadata folder and send me the errors that you get during import.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 June 2013 10:51] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Import of uml file to model space] Not all Model elements imported [message #1062815 is a reply to message #1061845] Mon, 10 June 2013 20:58 Go to previous message
Hi Ábel,

thanks a lot for providing the information it helped as the import issue I had is solved know!

I will now start to write transformations according to my research requirements. Up-to-date specifications or other new helpful examples are always appreciated...

Thanks again a lot for your support and best regards, Alex
Previous Topic:Algorithm implementation
Next Topic:Help needed for implementing entity match pattern
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:00:07 GMT 2024