Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Read a file residing in other plugin
Read a file residing in other plugin [message #1051656] Mon, 29 April 2013 04:27 Go to next message
Ankit Agarwal is currently offline Ankit AgarwalFriend
I have two plugins say A and B.
In my plugin A i have a file readme.txt. it is inside a folder named docs. So i am reading it inside A plugin using a method as :
public void readFile(){
File file = new File("docs/readme.txt");
}
and everything is fine when i run the test case. but now when i call the same method from Plugin B. On executing it from a test case in B. I am not able to read it as the relative path is no more valid. Then how should read it from Plugin B.
Note : I donot have Activator classes in both of these plugins.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 April 2013 04:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Read a file residing in other plugin [message #1051758 is a reply to message #1051656] Mon, 29 April 2013 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erdal Karaca is currently offline Erdal KaracaFriend
If you have added org.eclipse.core.runtime to your dependencies, say to plugin B, then, this helps:

Platform.getBundle("A.plugin").getEntry("docs/readme.txt")

Though, this is eclipse/equinox specific and maybe does not work in other OSGi containers.

Ankit Agarwal wrote on Mon, 29 April 2013 06:27
I have two plugins say A and B.
In my plugin A i have a file readme.txt. it is inside a folder named docs. So i am reading it inside A plugin using a method as :
public void readFile(){
File file = new File("docs/readme.txt");
}
and everything is fine when i run the test case. but now when i call the same method from Plugin B. On executing it from a test case in B. I am not able to read it as the relative path is no more valid. Then how should read it from Plugin B.
Note : I donot have Activator classes in both of these plugins.

Re: Read a file residing in other plugin [message #1053296 is a reply to message #1051656] Fri, 03 May 2013 16:30 Go to previous message
Andy McCright is currently offline Andy McCrightFriend
If you use the getResource(String) API instead of new File(String), then you should be able to access the file from any bundle by using normal import/export semantics.

For example, if bundle A exports the "docs" package and bundle B imports it then you could access it using either Bundle.getResource("docs/readme.txt") or this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResource("docs/readme.txt"). Note that this will return a URL rather than a File object, but you should be able to process it nevertheless.

If you don't want to export the "docs" package/directory, then you could still use the getResource(String) API - but you would need to get a reference to bundle A's Bundle object or classloader.

Hope this helps,
Andy
Previous Topic:Multiple hosts for a single Fragment
Next Topic:Clean Equinox' cache after uninstallation of bundles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:45:01 GMT 2024