Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » p2 repository contains binaries which is not included.
p2 repository contains binaries which is not included. [message #1044954] Fri, 19 April 2013 14:59 Go to next message
Tobias Bertelsen is currently offline Tobias BertelsenFriend
Hi there

Short Resume
When I build a p2 repository based on a feature, it includes binaries and metadata for all products in my workspace. This creates problems, since the metadata and configuration of the products is erroneous.

To me it seems to be a bug. Is there a fix or a workaround?

The (simlified) situation
I am creating two p2 repositories: product.p2 and extra.p2

product.p2 contains my core product, i.e. the rcp and a feature with my product bundles, including the one where my .product files are located (see below). This repository is only used during build.
product.p2 (feature)
 - org.eclipse.rcp (feature)
 - my.product.feature (feature)
   - my.product.bundle (bundle)
     - my.definition.product (.product file)

extra.p2 contains some extra features, which might be updated later on. This site is published after the build.
extra.p2 (feature)
 - my.functionality.feature (feature)

The Build
I set up a workspace including everything i need for the build, and the use Buckminster headless to build the two p2 repositories. The extra p2 repository only contains the features and bundle specified, but additionally it contains binary files and some meta-data for my product. The meta-data incomplete. It e.g. lacks configuration for the SimpleConfigurator.

I then use the p2-director to install my product and the extra features. The p2-director scan the p2 repositories in random order. If it scans my extra repository first, the resulting product will have an invalid configuration, e.g., SimpleConfigurator is not set to autostart. This makes my build nondeterministic Sad

It is therefore a serious problem for me, that the extra p2-site contains binaries and meta-data for all products in my workspace, even though they are not included in the p2-repository.

Is there a way to turn this off or correct this.

Re: p2 repository contains binaries which is not included. [message #1044989 is a reply to message #1044954] Fri, 19 April 2013 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking a little more into this, I think I have found (some of) the cause.
The p2-site gets the product configurations from product.configurations.export group in its generated cspec. This is group of any configurations in the feature it self, and all product.configurations.export attributes of its include features and plugin. This all seems perfectly fine (in relation to my problem).

The problem is in the the plugins. Their product.configurations.export attribute is a group of product files in this plugin (good) as well as all product.configurations.export is the plugins it depends on (bad). So the plugin is saying it is exporting products which it doesn't have.

A workaround for this problem is therefore to put the .product files in some top level feature, which is not included in the extra p2.repository. I have tried this and it seems to work. I will still consider this to be a bug though.

Just to improve findability of the thread:
When running the product, you get the following error:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle is resolved and started (see config.ini).
Some other keywords are: org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator bundle.info config.ini osgi.bundles org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.configUrl
Re: p2 repository contains binaries which is not included. [message #1046907 is a reply to message #1044989] Mon, 22 April 2013 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have created a bugzilla bug on this, and attached a patch which fixes the problem.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=406220
Re: p2 repository contains binaries which is not included. [message #1046946 is a reply to message #1046907] Mon, 22 April 2013 15:26 Go to previous message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
On 2013-04-22 16:22, Tobias Bertelsen wrote:
> I have created a bugzilla bug on this, and attached a patch which fixes
> the problem.
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=406220

Great. I'll have a look later this week.

- thomas
Previous Topic:gerrit for buckminster
Next Topic: ERROR: Could not read metadata
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:03:05 GMT 2024