Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » DSML validation functionality
DSML validation functionality [message #1044284] Thu, 18 April 2013 18:07 Go to next message
Klaas Gadeyne is currently offline Klaas GadeyneFriend
Hi,

I was playing around a bit with the DSML validation feature. Since this feature is not yet present on the Kepler nightly build (is it??), I tried with juno SR2. And although I couldn't find any documentation about the feature (is there some documentation somewhere??), I managed to get reasonably far. What I did so far:

I created a profile as shown index.php/fa/14427/0/

I added to OCL constraints on the stereotypes (one of them is not visible due to a problem with the image generation, but the OCL constraint states "self.base_class.isActive = false". I applied the DSML validation profile on the model, and set the validation rule stereotype on both constraints, and filled in the necessary stereotype properties.

After that, I generated a validation plugin from the profile, and a "profile plugin" such that the profile becomes a registered one for eclipse. When I now create a run-time instance using the two generated plugins, I can
* apply my profile to a UML model
* check in the preferences of the runtime instance that the validation plugin seems to work fine and the new constraints are present, see index.php/fa/14426/0/

So far, so good. However, when I try to validate the model using the new constraints, I get the following error for _both_ constraints:

The constraint "IntegerConstraintOCL" is disabled. It will not be evaluated.

java.lang.RuntimeException: org.eclipse.ocl.SemanticException: Unrecognized variable: (Property1)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.ocl.AbstractOCLModelConstraint.getConstraintCondition(AbstractOCLModelConstraint.java:140)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.ocl.AbstractOCLModelConstraint$QueryManager.check(AbstractOCLModelConstraint.java:203)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.ocl.AbstractOCLModelConstraint.validate(AbstractOCLModelConstraint.java:155)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.service.AbstractConstraintProvider$ConstraintProxy.validate(AbstractConstraintProvider.java:119)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.internal.service.AbstractValidator.evaluateConstraints(AbstractValidator.java:241)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.internal.service.BatchValidator.validate(BatchValidator.java:264)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.internal.service.BatchValidator.validate(BatchValidator.java:211)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.internal.service.BatchValidator.doValidate(BatchValidator.java:149)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.internal.service.AbstractValidator.validate(AbstractValidator.java:147)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.internal.service.AbstractValidator.validate(AbstractValidator.java:126)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.internal.service.BatchValidator.validate(BatchValidator.java:117)
at org.eclipse.emf.facet.infra.facet.validation.EValidatorAdapter.validate(EValidatorAdapter.java:62)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:159)
at org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.services.validation.commands.AbstractValidateCommand$2.validate(AbstractValidateCommand.java:190)
at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:137)
at org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.services.validation.commands.AbstractValidateCommand.validate(AbstractValidateCommand.java:166)
at org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.services.validation.commands.AbstractValidateCommand$1.run(AbstractValidateCommand.java:113)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyDelegatingOperation.execute(WorkspaceModifyDelegatingOperation.java:69)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation$1.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:106)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2344)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.WorkspaceModifyOperation.run(WorkspaceModifyOperation.java:118)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
Caused by: org.eclipse.ocl.SemanticException: Unrecognized variable: (Property1)
at org.eclipse.ocl.util.OCLUtil.checkForErrors(OCLUtil.java:358)
at org.eclipse.ocl.util.OCLUtil.checkForErrors(OCLUtil.java:328)
at org.eclipse.ocl.internal.helper.HelperUtil.checkForErrors(HelperUtil.java:518)
at org.eclipse.ocl.internal.helper.HelperUtil.parseInvariant(HelperUtil.java:207)
at org.eclipse.ocl.internal.helper.OCLHelperImpl.createInvariant(OCLHelperImpl.java:216)
at org.eclipse.emf.validation.ocl.AbstractOCLModelConstraint.getConstraintCondition(AbstractOCLModelConstraint.java:137)
... 21 more

Can somebody tell me where I went wrong?

Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1044783 is a reply to message #1044284] Fri, 19 April 2013 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You are using the classic OCL evaluator rather than the new Pivot-based
one. Try setting Pivot in the OCL preference page. (Use an OCL build
after the 5th April; before that changing the preference had no effect.)

It should not matter for most OCL expressions, but you have a parsing
error from an unrecognised name, so perhaps there is a registration issue.

If the above doesn't fix it, please raise a Bugzilla with a simple test
project.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 18/04/2013 19:07, Klaas Gadeyne wrote:
> Caused by: org.eclipse.ocl.SemanticException: Unrecognized variable: (Property1)
> at org.eclipse.ocl.util.OCLUtil.checkForErrors(OCLUtil.java:358)
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1044875 is a reply to message #1044783] Fri, 19 April 2013 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink wrote on Fri, 19 April 2013 06:44
Hi

You are using the classic OCL evaluator rather than the new Pivot-based
one. Try setting Pivot in the OCL preference page. (Use an OCL build
after the 5th April; before that changing the preference had no effect.)

It should not matter for most OCL expressions, but you have a parsing
error from an unrecognised name, so perhaps there is a registration issue.

If the above doesn't fix it, please raise a Bugzilla with a simple test
project.

I upgraded OCL to the latest nightly build, I changed the evaluator to 'pivot', but I get exactly the same error (which bothers me, because I guess a different evaluator should be used and hence the stack trace should be different?).

Bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=406082 raised.

ps. I noticed that most of the repositories mentioned at http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/OCL/Dev/Releng/P2_Repositories_Organization are dead links.
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1044902 is a reply to message #1044875] Fri, 19 April 2013 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

They're URIs (for use in P2 Install New Software) not URLs. (It has been
suggested that additional spider-friendly content might be added at the
URL so that the installation content contributes to web searches - one day).

http://www.eclipse.org/emf/2002/Ecore is also a dead link.

Regards

On 19/04/2013 13:51, Klaas Gadeyne wrote:
> Bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=406082 raised.
>
> ps. I noticed that most of the repositories mentioned at
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/OCL/Dev/Releng/P2_Repositories_Organization are
> dead links.
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1044915 is a reply to message #1044902] Fri, 19 April 2013 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink wrote on Fri, 19 April 2013 09:34
Hi

They're URIs (for use in P2 Install New Software) not URLs. (It has been
suggested that additional spider-friendly content might be added at the
URL so that the installation content contributes to web searches - one day).

I should have expressed myself more correctly. The repositories pointed by the URI's containing '4.0.0', mentioned at http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/OCL/Dev/Releng/P2_Repositories_Organization are (at least temporarily) unavailable.

For instance: http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/ocl/updates/interim/4.0.0

Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1044955 is a reply to message #1044915] Fri, 19 April 2013 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI

They're deliberately unavailable. The adjacent comments all refer to Juno.

Now that we're working towards Kepler, all the preview repos should be
4.1.0 rather than 4.0.0.

I'll refresh the page.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 19/04/2013 14:56, Klaas Gadeyne wrote:
> Ed Willink wrote on Fri, 19 April 2013 09:34
>> Hi
>>
>> They're URIs (for use in P2 Install New Software) not URLs. (It has
>> been suggested that additional spider-friendly content might be added
>> at the URL so that the installation content contributes to web
>> searches - one day).
>
>
> I should have expressed myself more correctly. The repositories
> pointed by the URI's containing '4.0.0', mentioned at
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/OCL/Dev/Releng/P2_Repositories_Organization are
> (at least temporarily) unavailable.
>
> For instance:
> http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/ocl/updates/interim/4.0.0
>
>
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1044964 is a reply to message #1044955] Fri, 19 April 2013 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Klaas,

The support in Juno was incomplete and not usable. In Kepler, it is still work in progress (Basically, it works for most cases, but it is not fully integrated). You should wait for M7 before actually being able to use it, and it should be stable for the Kepler release.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1059455 is a reply to message #1044964] Sat, 18 May 2013 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier wrote on Fri, 19 April 2013 11:12
Klaas,

The support in Juno was incomplete and not usable. In Kepler, it is still work in progress (Basically, it works for most cases, but it is not fully integrated). You should wait for M7 before actually being able to use it, and it should be stable for the Kepler release.

Regards,
Camille

Hi Camille, I can't find this feature in papyrus M7 (not in main nor extra). Am I missing something (not looking in the right place?)?

Klaas

Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1060236 is a reply to message #1059455] Thu, 23 May 2013 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaas Gadeyne wrote on Sat, 18 May 2013 15:48
Camille Letavernier wrote on Fri, 19 April 2013 11:12
Klaas,

Regards,
Camille

Hi Camille, I can't find this feature in papyrus M7 (not in main nor extra). Am I missing something (not looking in the right place?)?

Replying to myself (how pathetic Smile.

Meanwhile, I managed to build the dsml-validation feature from papyrus-trunk. Given this feature, I can successfully validate the above model! Great!

Caveats/Questions/Remarks:
* For building the thing, there is still a dependency on "qompass designer validation". This seems weird to me (and brings in a whole bunch of other dependencies). Could somebody explain what is this qompass designer about, and why there is a dependency between the DSML validation stuff and the qompass designer stuff? [*]
* Contrary to what is described above this only works if the OCL evaluator delegate is set to LPG, otherwise one gets errors a la
Constraint "be.fmtc.Validation.MyFirstProfile.Stereotype1.IntegerConstraintOCL" could not find target EMF type "Class."

* There seems to be a problem with refreshing the error view. When changing the model, and revalidating, the old errors are not cleaned up.
* The error message could be a little more 'beautified' I guess, now it says
The 'ShouldBePassiveConstraint' invariant is violated on 'Stereotype1 7 -> <<Stereotype1>> <Class> Class1'

(in this case, 7 is the value of Property1 in the figure above)

But hey, it works Smile

[*] The only thing that google came up with was [http://www.maenad.eu/public_pw/MAENAD_Deliverable_D6.1.3_V2.0.pdf], which links qompass to analysis on MARTE models. However, I can't see how profile validation would have a dependency on MARTE stuff, right??

Regards,

Klaas
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1060270 is a reply to message #1060236] Thu, 23 May 2013 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Klaas,

There are now two ways to define OCL constraints. The first one is through "DSML Validation", which AFAIK is not properly built on Hudson yet (I plan to fix that somewhere around RC2; or maybe between RC4 and the Kepler release, as it is not part of the release train). The second one is the default UML2 one, and is automatically used when you define a profile from Papyrus (In the UML2 editor, this is an option which is disabled by default).

So currently:

- When you define a profile, the OCL constraints are automatically embedded. Just apply this profile, and validate. That's it.
- If you choose to create a validation plug-in from your profile, and if you're lucky enough to make it work, the constraints will actually be validated twice (Because the auto-generated constraints are still here)

The dynamic/automatic approach works correctly in M7, but has several drawbacks:

- It is not possible to choose the severity of the error (Always "Error", there is no "Warning" status)
- It is not possible to associate a message to the error (Always "invariant is violated")

So you should use the dynamic approach for now. Much simpler, less bugs, and lightweight. There's nothing to install or configure. Just create OCL constraints, and define your profile.

Hopefully, the static approach will be fully operational for Kepler, and will allow to define more precisely the nature of your constraints. But currently, it is still experimental and I don't recommend using it.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1060280 is a reply to message #1060270] Thu, 23 May 2013 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Camille

If you use OCLinEcore or Complete OCL you can define messages and
severity for invariants, and if you use an appropriate EObjectValidator
you can see them too. Unfortunately
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=337792 remains unresolved.

Within Ecore the message is signalled by an additional EAnnotation.
Promoting this to UML makes it look nasty.

I think the solution must lie within OCL. I have been toying with
allowing an invariant to return a Tuple in place of the normal Boolean.

e.g.

invariant MyInv: Tuple{severity='error', code=911, message='bad ' +
self.name, constraint=self.name=self.name.toUpper(),
quickFixHandler='java:org.eclipse.mine.SimpleQuickFix'}

which would be legal OCL in UML.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 23/05/2013 19:42, Camille Letavernier wrote:
> Hi Klaas,
>
>
> There are now two ways to define OCL constraints. The first one is
> through "DSML Validation", which AFAIK is not properly built on Hudson
> yet (I plan to fix that somewhere around RC2; or maybe between RC4 and
> the Kepler release, as it is not part of the release train). The
> second one is the default UML2 one, and is automatically used when you
> define a profile from Papyrus (In the UML2 editor, this is an option
> which is disabled by default).
>
> So currently:
>
> - When you define a profile, the OCL constraints are automatically
> embedded. Just apply this profile, and validate. That's it.
> - If you choose to create a validation plug-in from your profile, and
> if you're lucky enough to make it work, the constraints will actually
> be validated twice (Because the auto-generated constraints are still
> here)
>
> The dynamic/automatic approach works correctly in M7, but has several
> drawbacks:
>
> - It is not possible to choose the severity of the error (Always
> "Error", there is no "Warning" status)
> - It is not possible to associate a message to the error (Always
> "invariant is violated")
>
> So you should use the dynamic approach for now. Much simpler, less
> bugs, and lightweight. There's nothing to install or configure. Just
> create OCL constraints, and define your profile.
>
> Hopefully, the static approach will be fully operational for Kepler,
> and will allow to define more precisely the nature of your
> constraints. But currently, it is still experimental and I don't
> recommend using it.
>
>
> Regards,
> Camille
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1060394 is a reply to message #1060270] Fri, 24 May 2013 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Camille,

Camille Letavernier wrote on Thu, 23 May 2013 14:42
Hi Klaas,

There are now two ways to define OCL constraints. The first one is through "DSML Validation", which AFAIK is not properly built on Hudson yet (I plan to fix that somewhere around RC2; or maybe between RC4 and the Kepler release, as it is not part of the release train).

Is there a bugzilla entry for that? (I couldn't find one at first sight?)

Quote:

The second one is the default UML2 one, and is automatically used when you define a profile from Papyrus (In the UML2 editor, this is an option which is disabled by default).

Are you referring here to Ed's bug report here [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=403787]? My guess would be that Papyrus still doesn't have an option for this right now, but the papyrus default is now "Process"?

Quote:

So currently:

- When you define a profile, the OCL constraints are automatically embedded. Just apply this profile, and validate. That's it.
- If you choose to create a validation plug-in from your profile, and if you're lucky enough to make it work, the constraints will actually be validated twice (Because the auto-generated constraints are still here)

The dynamic/automatic approach works correctly in M7, but has several drawbacks:

- It is not possible to choose the severity of the error (Always "Error", there is no "Warning" status)
- It is not possible to associate a message to the error (Always "invariant is violated")

So you should use the dynamic approach for now. Much simpler, less bugs, and lightweight. There's nothing to install or configure. Just create OCL constraints, and define your profile.

If only I would have known this earlier Smile
It works indeed! However, next to the problems you describe above, the following things which I experienced with the static approach also apply:

* The OCL evaluator needs to be set to LPG. In case of setting it to pivot, the error log show
Severity	Description	Element	Parent	Type
Error	An exception occurred while delegating evaluation of the 'ShouldBePassiveConstraint' invariant on 'Stereotype1 5 -> <<Stereotype1>> <Class> Class1': null	Stereotype1 5 -> <<Stereotype1>> <Class> Class1	null	EMF Problem

(without any further content in the log file)
* There seems to be a problem with refreshing the error view. When changing the model, saving it, and revalidating, the old errors are not cleaned up! This is very confusing!
* The error message could be a little more 'beautified' I guess, now it says
The 'ShouldBePassiveConstraint' invariant is violated on 'Stereotype1 7 -> <<Stereotype1>> <Class> Class1'
(in this case, 7 is the value of Property1 in the figure above)

Quote:

Hopefully, the static approach will be fully operational for Kepler, and will allow to define more precisely the nature of your constraints. But currently, it is still experimental and I don't recommend using it.

As a last request. I was following [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=382975] and [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=382733], but they both seem related to the static approach. Could you point me to the right (meta-)bug for the dynamic approach?

Thx,

Klaas
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1060399 is a reply to message #1060394] Fri, 24 May 2013 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

Can your a Bugzilla with an attached project please. Not yet too late
for Kepler.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 24/05/2013 14:02, Klaas Gadeyne wrote:
>
> * The OCL evaluator needs to be set to LPG. In case of setting it to
> pivot, the error log show
>
> Severity Description Element Parent Type
> Error An exception occurred while delegating evaluation of the
> 'ShouldBePassiveConstraint' invariant on 'Stereotype1 5 ->
> <<Stereotype1>> <Class> Class1': null Stereotype1 5 -> <<Stereotype1>>
> <Class> Class1 null EMF Problem
>
> (without any further content in the log file)
> * There seems to be a problem with refreshing the error view. When
> changing the model, saving it, and revalidating, the old errors are
> not cleaned up! This is very confusing!
> * The error message could be a little more 'beautified' I guess, now
> it says
> The 'ShouldBePassiveConstraint' invariant is violated on 'Stereotype1
> 7 -> <<Stereotype1>> <Class> Class1'
> (in this case, 7 is the value of Property1 in the figure above)
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1060404 is a reply to message #1060399] Fri, 24 May 2013 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink wrote on Fri, 24 May 2013 09:25
Hi

Can your a Bugzilla with an attached project please. Not yet too late
for Kepler.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=408990 raised.
Re: DSML validation functionality [message #1816630 is a reply to message #1060270] Fri, 01 November 2019 19:50 Go to previous message
jo ber is currently offline jo berFriend
Hi Camille

Camille Letavernier wrote on Thu, 23 May 2013 18:42

Are there solutions to these 2 problems? I'm trying to use the example from the documentation, but without success.

Tuple{
  status=base_Class.isActive,
  message='\'' + base_Class.name + '\' is not active',
  severity=-5
}.status

thank you
Previous Topic:Context menu in diagrams broken in 4.5.0?
Next Topic:on the Navigation context menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:18:51 GMT 2024