Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Hover window recursion(hover window inside hover window)
Hover window recursion [message #1043349] Wed, 17 April 2013 15:36 Go to next message
Janis Heil is currently offline Janis HeilFriend
Hello everybody,

I work at huge embedded-C projects with nested typedefs and functions that I regularly lose track of.
I usually do quick checkups with the hover-window, but that doesn't work well for nested typedefs. So backtracking types then requires allot of jumping through the code, which is confusing and takes allot of time.
There it would come in handy, to be able to use the "usual hover-functionality" inside hover-windows.

I edited an example screenshot to look like what I would wish Eclipse to do:

index.php/fa/14401/0/

So is there any way to get a similar kind of recursion into hover-windows?
Or is there any workaround / plugin to achieve easy backtracking of nested typedefs / nested functions?

Thanks allot,
Janis
Re: Hover window recursion [message #1044697 is a reply to message #1043349] Fri, 19 April 2013 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey Eremchenko is currently offline Andrey EremchenkoFriend
Don't think there is AST specifically for code shown in popups (that can be macro expansion for example), that is just pure text with keywords highlighted. So even navigation is not possible from this code inside popups, not to mention your feature with recursive popups.

I would also like to this "recursive popups" for debugger so that it is like inside MSVC, that is very convenient way to explore nested structures.
Re: Hover window recursion [message #1044707 is a reply to message #1044697] Fri, 19 April 2013 08:29 Go to previous message
Janis Heil is currently offline Janis HeilFriend
Thanks for your answer, I'm happy that I am not the only one who wants this feature.

Thanks also for the information on the popup-window, I figured as much but was hoping there was some kind of plugin existant to get that functionality... or to see it in future releases as I thought this was of common interest and there would be lots of people asking for the same thing Wink

If there was common interest in this, I might even have worked myself into plugin-programming to create something myself.
Previous Topic:CDT on fedora won't run code
Next Topic:Trouble with CDT GCC Build Output Parser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:46:06 GMT 2024