Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » Maintaining multiple eclipses and plugins
Maintaining multiple eclipses and plugins [message #1041815] Mon, 15 April 2013 16:05 Go to next message
Rusi Mody is currently offline Rusi ModyFriend
There are a number of different plugins that I wish to try and they work best in different eclipses.

All the different eclipses sit as /opt/eclipseX.Y [I am on debian]

Is there a best practice for the plugins?

• Where to store them?
  • How to minimize breakage (eg if plugin p breaks eclipse4.2 but not 3.7)
  • How to have separated 3.7 and 4.2 sandboxes?
  • Turn on/off bunches of plugins (especially those that are breaking eclipse but also those that are just slowing it down)
  • etc etc?

Note: If I just had to reinstall from plugins that are downloaded every time its not great but its ok. But having to redownload every time is quite a drag...

Re: Maintaining multiple eclipses and plugins [message #1042268 is a reply to message #1041815] Tue, 16 April 2013 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xavier Raynaud is currently offline Xavier RaynaudFriend
Hi,

You're probably posting to the wrong forum.
The Linux Tools project aims to bring a full-featured C and C++ IDE to Linux developers. We focus on developing tools for linux inside Eclise, not on how to manage Eclipse on linux.

However, you may have a look on "-configuration" option of Eclipse. I use it to maintain multiple configurations on top of the same version of Eclipse.

Re: Maintaining multiple eclipses and plugins [message #1042302 is a reply to message #1041815] Tue, 16 April 2013 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krzysztof Daniel is currently offline Krzysztof DanielFriend
Hey Rusi,

The task that you are trying to accomplish is an extreme example of DevOps task, and it was never considered as an installation scenario.

This Eclipse Help page may help you, especially the last section about link files.

Generally you should download your Eclipses, download plugins you want to install, each plugin in a separate location, and then make links from dropins folder (which you can find in your installation) to the directories where are your plugins.

By creating and deleting links you get quick, dirty and unmanaged installation of plugins. You're responsible for providing all the dependencies and it will be a lot of pain to you, especially if you are new to that kind of task.

But it is also the most flexible and powerful installation mechanism.
Re: Maintaining multiple eclipses and plugins [message #1045019 is a reply to message #1042268] Fri, 19 April 2013 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusi Mody is currently offline Rusi ModyFriend
Xavier Raynaud wrote on Tue, 16 April 2013 03:44
Hi,

You're probably posting to the wrong forum.
The Linux Tools project aims to bring a full-featured C and C++ IDE to Linux developers. We focus on developing tools for linux inside Eclise, not on how to manage Eclipse on linux.

However, you may have a look on "-configuration" option of Eclipse. I use it to maintain multiple configurations on top of the same version of Eclipse.

Thanks Xavier for answering. I asked on the beginners forum and got no answer. Yeah I know this is not the appropriate forum but your answer has been much more helpful Very Happy

Thanks also Krzysztof for answering. I had earlier stumbled upon that help page and asked in the beginners forum and was told not to use it.

"Dropins should be avoided it possible" was what I was told.
[Sorry I cant post the link as I am too 'junior' a member]

[Updated on: Fri, 19 April 2013 17:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Maintaining multiple eclipses and plugins [message #1058130 is a reply to message #1042268] Sun, 12 May 2013 08:08 Go to previous message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 04/16/2013 09:44 AM, Xavier Raynaud wrote:
> However, you may have a look on "-configuration" option of Eclipse. I
> use it to maintain multiple configurations on top of the same version of
> Eclipse.

I wrote a blog post about this

http://www.lorenzobettini.it/2012/12/one-eclipse-installation-and-multiple-configurations/

hope this helps
Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DI, Univ. Torino
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it

Previous Topic:Using the additional Kerneltrace Views
Next Topic:Eclipse Cygwin Codesourcery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:44:21 GMT 2024