Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » [Flock] Large model migration: performance issue
[Flock] Large model migration: performance issue [message #1039454] Fri, 12 April 2013 07:28 Go to next message
ben ben is currently offline ben benFriend
Hi everyone,

Migrating my model takes a very long time :
- 15min for 1MB model
- 8h (!!!) for 100MB model

My Computer's specs:
Intel Xeon 3.10GHz Quad Core
8GB RAM

Eclipse.ini:
-Xms256m
-Xmx4096m
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
512M

Migration is launched using a Flock launch configuration.

That's model loading phase that takes 99% of time.

Is there a way to improve execution time ?

Thanks !
Re: [Flock] Large model migration: performance issue [message #1040303 is a reply to message #1039454] Sat, 13 April 2013 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi,

Is there any chance you could email us a copy of your setup (metamodels, models, transformations) at epsilon.devs@gmail.com so that we can investigate?

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: [Flock] Large model migration: performance issue [message #1041499 is a reply to message #1040303] Mon, 15 April 2013 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately, I can't provide metamodels because I'm working on a commercial project ...

I have now a bigger problem, Java heap space when migrating.

I let migration work entire week end, I don't know how many hours it has taken (at least 10 ...), but this morning it got that :

http://pyts01.free.fr/flock.png

Has somebody succeded I migrating large models using Flock ?

Re: [Flock] Large model migration: performance issue [message #1041518 is a reply to message #1041499] Mon, 15 April 2013 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Ben,

We have used Epsilon languages with rather large models and although it is slower than Java, 15 mins for a 1MB model is nowhere near what I'd expect. Could you perhaps uninstall Concordance (About->Installation Details->Model Monitoring->Uninstall) and give it another go in case it somehow interferes with the model loading process? If you keep observing the same behaviour could you perhaps try to reproduce the problem with an artificial metamodel and models you can share? Another - clearly more heavyweight - option might be to consider sharing your metamodels/models over an NDA (we've done plenty of these in the past).

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: [Flock] Large model migration: performance issue [message #1041811 is a reply to message #1041518] Mon, 15 April 2013 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Louis Rose is currently offline Louis RoseFriend
Hi Ben,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I'm going to be working on Flock over the next few weeks, and I'd be really keen to address the performance issues that you're experiencing. If it's possible for you to share some artificial large models with us for which Flock's performance is poor, that'd be really helpful. Alternatively, we could go down the NDA route, as Dimitris suggests.

Our email address is epsilon.devs@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Louis.
Re: [Flock] Large model migration: performance issue [message #1041822 is a reply to message #1039454] Mon, 15 April 2013 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Louis,

I'm trying to find someone in our dev team that can past some hours "obfuscating" our metamodels.

I probably will be able to give you that before the end of this week.
Re: [Flock] Large model migration: performance issue [message #1042380 is a reply to message #1041822] Tue, 16 April 2013 11:00 Go to previous message
Louis Rose is currently offline Louis RoseFriend
Hi Ben,

Perfect -- I look forward to working on this with your team.

Cheers,
Louis.
Previous Topic:[ETL] using generated EMF code instead of dynamicEObjects
Next Topic:Make the diagram generate nice code in XText editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:37:09 GMT 2024