Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Question to help straightening some things out(Xtext graphical view)
Question to help straightening some things out [message #1034493] Fri, 05 April 2013 13:47 Go to next message
Mårten Carlzon is currently offline Mårten CarlzonFriend

Hello folks

I was wondering if I could get your help to straightening some things out since I seem to be running in circles and the last time I did that I asked a question here and was set on the right path Smile.

The thing is I am working on my graduation work and it involves using XText. I have a working grammar but to make it easier for an everyday user to use it they also want me to make a graphical view for my grammar and its here I am wondering if you could help me stop running into a wall.

I have been looking at a couple of tutorials and it seems that GMF is a good tool to use since it seems in the tutorials you get both the text editor and graphical editor next to eachother. Although I first heard of XText two weeks ago and found out about GMF this week my experience isn't much and the tutorials I find seems to be a few years old and outdated.
Can be that I just don't understand them fully but have googled to many toturials and jumped back and forth so might need a finger to point to where I should focus.

So I am wondering, with the little experience I have, is it a good option to try and make an XText project and combined it into an GMF project or would you recomend me to look at something else?
I wasn't able to download the old XText tutorial for GMF but I guess that is to outdated to work but does anyone know a good tutorial that I can look at with maybe both code and some text that explains what it does?
If GMF is a good tool to use any specific tutorial that you would recommend to learn how it works?

I am using XText 2.3.1 and Eclipse Juno SR2.
Should I update to XText 2.4 that just came out?
And is parts of GMF missing for Eclipse Juno because the GMF tutorials I have glanced at seems to have more GMF projects options that what I seem to get.

Thanks for any help and sorry if its an odd question that maybe should go somewhere else but since XText is my main focus in the project I thought this was the place.

Have a nice day

Write you later / Mårten
Re: Question to help straightening some things out [message #1034713 is a reply to message #1034493] Fri, 05 April 2013 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Kallestad is currently offline Steve KallestadFriend
I started looking into this myself.

I don't have a complete answer... but have a look at Graphiti and Spray.

Etrice seems to have implemented the Graphiti/Xtext combination, so their source code could provide some hints.

GMF apparently died at one point, but they are back on track. That's likely why the tutorials are outdated.
Re: Question to help straightening some things out [message #1035204 is a reply to message #1034713] Sat, 06 April 2013 13:49 Go to previous message
Mårten Carlzon is currently offline Mårten CarlzonFriend

Ok, thanks for the suggestions.

Have seen Graphiti and Spray mentioned here and there but I get a bit one-tracked-mind so then I try to ask others who might now somewhere better to look Smile

Ahh, that explaines a lot about why GMF seems a bit out of date.

But thanks for the suggestions. Will take a look at Graphiti and Spray, the only graphic related programming I have done in Java before was by using paint component or simple Layouts for a small character creation for pen-and-paper role play. Will be interesting to do something a bit less... "programmer-graphic" like Smile
Previous Topic:Dynamic Template Proposal Hover Display
Next Topic:library approach and global scoping
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:43:48 GMT 2024