Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » how to transform .uml to .xmi in modisco
how to transform .uml to .xmi in modisco [message #1031304] Mon, 01 April 2013 14:29 Go to next message
Junfeng Zhao is currently offline Junfeng ZhaoFriend
I extracted .uml file from java project by using modisco, now I want to import the extracted model(.uml) to modelio via .xmi, how can I transform .uml to .xmi? thanks a lot!
Re: how to transform .uml to .xmi in modisco [message #1036678 is a reply to message #1031304] Mon, 08 April 2013 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
Hello,

".xmi" is just the default file extension for models serialized in XMI, but other extension names can also actually concern XMI files.
Notably, files with the ".uml" extension are also XMI files.
However, in the case of MoDisco (and of all the other Eclipse Modeling projects), the handled UML models conform to the UML metamodel as specified in Ecore by the Eclipse UML2 project.
If Modelio relies on another (proprietary or open) implementation of the UML metamodel, you will have to transform your models so that they conform to that specific implementation.
I hope this helps.

Hugo

--------------------------------------------------------
Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
Re: how to transform .uml to .xmi in modisco [message #1037244 is a reply to message #1036678] Tue, 09 April 2013 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot for your answer. I have realized that the exported files with the ".uml" extension are also XMI files.Why can not the XMI file corresponding the standard be imported to other modeling tools now that the XMI file is the interchange standard for UML between modeling tools? Does the interchange failure stir up by incompatibility of xmi version? is it a very heavy workload if i must develop a tool to transform model? thanks again.
Re: how to transform .uml to .xmi in modisco [message #1037303 is a reply to message #1037244] Tue, 09 April 2013 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
XMI is just a (standard) serialization format, what is important is actually the metamodel the models conform to.
If different tools are providing different implementations of the UML metamodel, then they logically cannot directly interoperate.
In that case, writing the transformation building the mapping between the two metamodel implementations/versions should be quite systematic (even it can be verbose).

Hugo

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
Re: how to transform .uml to .xmi in modisco [message #1043275 is a reply to message #1037303] Wed, 17 April 2013 13:52 Go to previous message
thank you again. Probably there is some problem with my understand to XMI.I decide to study XMI further now.
Previous Topic:EMF from java? (reverse engineer)
Next Topic:Incremental mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:42:39 GMT 2024