Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » push readme.(How to create and push readme to Github.)
push readme. [message #1030278] Sun, 31 March 2013 00:02 Go to next message
Thorsten Willard is currently offline Thorsten WillardFriend
How can I create a readme.md and push it to Github so that Github can "see" it and not give me the nag message that I should to create a readme?
If create a java project in Eclipse with a readme then Github can't see it when I push because it's inside the project.
I know how to create it using Github at the time I create a repo but I want to create it myself locally then push it.
Actually even when creating it on Github I can't figure out how to include it in the repo so that when I do a fetch I can get it to my local machine for editing.

Thanks.
Re: push readme. [message #1033580 is a reply to message #1030278] Thu, 04 April 2013 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
You have to create the file outside eclipse, directly in the root folder of the repository. Once it is there, you can access it from the Git Repositories View, in the folder "Working Directory". You can commit changes with the standard egit features.

If you directly create it on github using the "adding a README" link, it is directly committed into the repo there.
Re: push readme. [message #1033861 is a reply to message #1033580] Thu, 04 April 2013 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thorsten Willard is currently offline Thorsten WillardFriend
My repo is called gitRepo1.
I tried creating a readMe.txt in C:/Users/Thorsten/git/gitRepo1/.git
But back in Eclipse under the working directory in the repositories view, the "Add to index" when I right click it is disabled for readMe.txt

I create a java project with a main method in order to create a local master branch then commit. The readMe.txt isn't show in the list of files I can commit. So it's not included when I push and doesn't show up on Github.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 April 2013 18:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: push readme. [message #1038841 is a reply to message #1033861] Thu, 11 April 2013 12:07 Go to previous message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
You should add the file in C:/Users/Thorsten/git/gitRepo1, not in C:/Users/Thorsten/git/gitRepo1/.git
Previous Topic:Shortcut folder problem
Next Topic:Re-indexing even though "Refresh when index changes" is off
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:13:45 GMT 2024