Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Support for scheduled execution?(Is it possible to schedule execution of tests within Eclipse?)
Support for scheduled execution? [message #1030011] Sat, 30 March 2013 14:40 Go to next message
Tony Walker is currently offline Tony WalkerFriend
I would like to be able to have Eclipse run scheduled (overnight) tests on my projects.

This may sound like a wacky idea, but let me give some background:

Like many people, I have Eclipse running continually on my development system. Apart from reboots I am always logged in and just lock the screen when I'm not present, so Eclipse is running 24/7.

I would like to run system tests (JUnit and others) on a scheduled basis (overnight). I realize that I could build scripts to do this (Ant, etc) and run them externally to Eclipse, but Eclipse already has all the information necessary to run the tests and building parallel scripts is (or should be) an unnecessary duplication of effort. I could also set up a builder in addition to the Java Builder, but that's not appropriate as I don't want the tests to run every time I save a source file.

I do realize that this will give test errors on the unfinished changes that I'm currently working on, but I can live with that -- my main objective is to find where my changes break other projects ASAP.

Does anyone know if this is possible within Eclipse? Or alternatively, is there a project that will automatically process the Eclipse configuration files to generate an external script (Ant?) that I could run?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks, Tony
Re: Support for scheduled execution? [message #1030030 is a reply to message #1030011] Sat, 30 March 2013 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Torsten Stolpmann is currently offline Torsten StolpmannFriend
I think Infinitest or JUnit Max might be something worth investigating.

Never used one of them though, we use the continuous integration server Jenkins for this purpose.

Hope this helps,

Torsten
Re: Support for scheduled execution? [message #1030189 is a reply to message #1030030] Sat, 30 March 2013 20:36 Go to previous message
Tony Walker is currently offline Tony WalkerFriend
Hi Torsten,

Thanks for the two suggestions. Although neither one solves the overnight scheduling problem, JUnit Max look like it would do what I need to do. It looks like a well engineered and thought out product.

Unfortunately I investigated further and found that it has been released before and then withdrawn. The original deal was a subscription of $2 / month (it's now $100 / year). When it was withdrawn the developer decided that customers options were to continue paying the $2 / month or to stop paying and stop using the product. Now it's only $2 / month, but abandoning the product and expecting customers to keep paying or stop using it doesn't sit well with me. Nor does abandoning the product after only a few months. Pity, because it looks good, but I'm uncomfortable using a product with that history.

However, I do appreciate and thank you for your feed back.

Tony
Previous Topic:Unable to start standalone or integrated Controller Agent
Next Topic:Memory analizer for secondary thread
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:27:59 GMT 2024