Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Stored procedure data retrieval used in multiple charts(Can one stored procedure be the source of data for multiple charts?)
Stored procedure data retrieval used in multiple charts [message #1023568] Sun, 24 March 2013 15:50 Go to next message
Dave Oatway is currently offline Dave OatwayFriend
This is a strategic question so we get on the right path early in the process --

We have an application that asks several questions with all answers going into an Answers table with relational information about the question and answer.

we need to report the results in several charts that have to aggregate the data in different ways.

I created a stored procedure that returns a superset of the data needed for all reports.

What is the best approach to supply the data for the individual reports?

Multiple chart specific stored procedures with selection and aggregation for each chart;
One "master" procedure used by multiple datasets, one for each chart;
Other?

We will be running several charts for each instance of the reports.

Thanks,

Dave
Re: Stored procedure data retrieval used in multiple charts [message #1029545 is a reply to message #1023568] Fri, 29 March 2013 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Creating a large result set that has to be filtered many times within a chart would probably be slower than creating separate dataSets for each chart.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis

[Updated on: Fri, 29 March 2013 21:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stored procedure data retrieval used in multiple charts [message #1029652 is a reply to message #1023568] Sat, 30 March 2013 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael,

Thank you for the insight.

Dave
Re: Stored procedure data retrieval used in multiple charts [message #1030065 is a reply to message #1029652] Sat, 30 March 2013 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

No problem. I might have misread your question above. My answer was based on bringing all of the data into BIRT and filtering it down for each chart. You definitely wouldn't want that with lots of data, if you have the opportunity to limit the size of the data earlier. The earlier you can limit the data, the better. If you can get all of your charts' data with a single stored procedure and passing it different parameters, you could create separate dataSets with a single stored procedure. Depending on your report, you could possibly create a single dataSet and just change the parameter values that are passed to it, eliminating the need to create separate dataSets. Let me know if you run into issues.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Stored procedure data retrieval used in multiple charts [message #1030234 is a reply to message #1023568] Sat, 30 March 2013 22:24 Go to previous message
Thanks for the additional input. What you are describing (stored procedures to pass parameters) to select the data of interest and then data manipulation in BIRT is where I'm thinking now.

Some of the reporting in charts I need to do are time series (by month or quarter.) It looks to me that doing the data manipulation in BIRT will be less complicated than in the stored procedure.

Thanks for your help.
Previous Topic:XML report
Next Topic:export report to image (i.e. png)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:27:24 GMT 2024