Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Dataset truncate string columns(Why my dataset does not return more 2000 character??? )
Dataset truncate string columns [message #1022951] Fri, 22 March 2013 21:58 Go to next message
Alexander Dias is currently offline Alexander DiasFriend
My dataset is not returning text columns with complete results. Anyone know about??

The maximum that is returning is 2000 characters
Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1029496 is a reply to message #1022951] Fri, 29 March 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Where are you seeing this? In the dataSet editor only? Or are you seeing it if you drag your dataSet to your layout and run in the web viewer?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1101617 is a reply to message #1029496] Wed, 04 September 2013 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any situations..

My string results break with 2000 characters..

Please help...

Thanks.
Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1102244 is a reply to message #1101617] Thu, 05 September 2013 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

What is your BIRT version? I'll take a look.

Michael

Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1102398 is a reply to message #1102244] Thu, 05 September 2013 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Birt version is 3.7.2..

Thanks.
Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1102783 is a reply to message #1102398] Fri, 06 September 2013 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I don't see the same. Can you recreate the issue in a way I can run it and post the report? Thanks!

Michael

Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1103428 is a reply to message #1102783] Fri, 06 September 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unfortunately, for reasons of information security company but you could run a report with a long text oracle and verify the result?

The driver of the database could be a problem?

I am using ojdbc14.jar.

Thanks for helping ...
Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1103429 is a reply to message #1102783] Fri, 06 September 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unfortunately, for reasons of information security company but you could run a report with a long text oracle and verify the result?

I am using ojdbc14.jar.

Thanks for helping ...
Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1103430 is a reply to message #1102783] Fri, 06 September 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I am using ojdbc14.jar.

Thanks for helping ...
Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1103472 is a reply to message #1103429] Fri, 06 September 2013 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael,

I generate sample to you verify error.

You can test in sample report and post results for me?

My report print only marked text...

Thanks for helping..

The original text is:

From the Business you may hear that "we have no confidence in IT's ability to deliver useful solutions", or "we
have limited visibility of progress, risks and problems", and "we don't know how we should measure the value
of our investments in IT." From IT you may hear that "they (the Business) don't fund the projects adequately",
or "they don't know what they need", or "they don't know what is possible to develop". Each side feels the
other is responsible for the problem. And, you know, both are right.
Over the years many things have been tried to close the gap, from the one extreme to another. Some have
viewed the gap as a soft problem: if only Business and IT could collaborate better and learn from one another
the problem would be solved. Improvements in communicatio
n and sensitivity training were tried, but still
the gap grew.
At the other extreme people have tried to apply engineering approaches to the problem, assuming that rigor
would succeed where informal communication has failed. The result was usually a formal business process
model, understandable only by its creators who were typically IT people. This usually made the business
people feel ignorant and annoyed, and the gap grew wider.
So we know what doesn't work - let's try something different! Our view is that the solution lies somewhere infile://
the middle. Starting with the end in mind, what everyone wants is an executable solution that supports and
improves the ability of the business to succeed. That end is oft-forgotten, but no one wins if it is not achieved.
All of the document sign-offs and hand-offs and other techniques to ensure accountability and transfer responsibility
mean nothing if business results do not improve.

The dominant model in IT to date has been to think of IT as an internal "supplier" to the business, with the business
as the "customer" of IT. This model is at the heart of the problem.
The reality is that IT is not a supplier. If it were a supplier, it would be free to pursue other business if it did not
find the terms the business offered attractive - and in most cases, the terms the business offers are unattractive:
the business typically dictates cost and schedule and features. Or rather it tries to - it usually dictates the cost
and the schedule but lets the features pile on so that the initial cost, usually unachievable, becomes burdened
with extra features ("usually irrelevant") so that the original cost and schedule are guaranteed to be unachievable.
If IT is not a supplier, then neither is the business "the customer". If it were a customer it would be free to source
services from any supplier, and it often tries to do so. The reality is that most suppliers would not accept the
terms that the business imposes on its own IT organization: fixed cost and schedule and thoroughly variable
scope. The Business wants, and has been allowed to believe it is reasonable to demand, the ability to endlessly
change its mind, or at least to be imprecise about what it really needs without bearing the cost.
It should be obvious to anyone familiar with the situation that the current model does not work, and has never
worked. We need to approach the problem in a different way!

Re: Dataset truncate string columns [message #1106052 is a reply to message #1103472] Tue, 10 September 2013 16:13 Go to previous message

I don't have an oracle db to try this in, but I tried it in mysql and had no problem whatsoever. Can you maybe try in a newer version of BIRT? If that doesn't work, it may just be your db.

Michael

Previous Topic:unable to display image in Excel output in BIRT 4.3.0
Next Topic:Aligning the axis of distinct charts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:45:29 GMT 2024