Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Understanding Eclipse Development(Understanding Eclipse Development)
icon5.gif  Understanding Eclipse Development [message #1022294] Thu, 21 March 2013 16:09
Simone Amorim is currently offline Simone AmorimFriend
Hello All

I am studying how the Eclipse give access to external developers create applications on the top of Eclipse platform. I read the documentation at website: http://help.eclipse.org/juno/index.jsp. However, I have some doubts that was not clear in the documentation. Please, if you have time, could you answer my questions?

1 - Does the platform Runtime offer extension points too? Can a developer build a plug-in for his application connecting directly the platform Runtime?

2 - I saw that the JDT offer extensions point, but does the PDE offer extension points too or it is only a tool to develop plug-ins?

3 - In the Eclipse environment I have a Workbench that is a plug-in and it offers extension points for other plug-in can build on top of it, then can I have a plug-in built on top of other plug-in without access the platform runtime?

4 - Is there some other mechanism that the eclipse offers to external developers to build applications on top of its platform?

5 - Can a external developer modify the platform runtime to work with a new plug-in developed by him? If yes, How do you manage the impact that a change in the platform can have in the other components and plug-ins?

6 - To avoid that extension code that may be malicious hazard the platform, the Eclipse embraces and extends the facilities built into the Java runtime in order to do two things:

Authenticate the source of executable code in bundles
Authorize the installation and runtime behavior of code
Besides, is there some other action to avoid that malicious code hazard the Eclipse platform?

7 - Is there some evaluation of the code (plug-ins) developed by third-party to be added for the platform?

Thank you
Previous Topic:Erro de Execução
Next Topic:Selecting files for refactoring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:27:32 GMT 2024