Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Having a "frozen" column in a table
Having a "frozen" column in a table [message #1022096] Thu, 21 March 2013 09:15 Go to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
Yesterday I showed our users a first prototype of what their new scout based application could look like. Among other things, we'll have table with a large number of columns, making scrolling in the table inevitable.

One of the things the current solution offers in such cases is that the first column (showing an identifying value (not the technical id)) does not scroll and remains fixed to make it easier to read the remaining columns that scroll. They have requested that the new application do this as well.

Does Scout already support this (none of the properties I looked at seem to suggest so)? If not, would it be possible to extend/modify the table implementation to support this easily? Where would I need to start?

The following screenshot from the current application illustrates this:
The red part does not scroll, while the green part can be scrolled.
index.php/fa/13961/0/

[As an other description for what I want: in Excel you can split the display and then freeze this, so that row and column headers stay fixed while the rest of the worksheet can be scrolled. This is the behaviour I'm looking for (though only for the columns, as the header already does this).]
  • Attachment: FixColumn.png
    (Size: 12.61KB, Downloaded 1116 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 21 March 2013 09:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Having a "frozen" column in a table [message #1022156 is a reply to message #1022096] Thu, 21 March 2013 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Good idea.
Due to limitations of the SWT table frozen columns are not so easy.
There is a good approach under: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/99484/. To adapt this idea to Eclipse Scout there is an own implementation of the SwtScoutTable needed which handles the two TableViewers.
If you go there I would be interested in the result/contribution.

Re: Having a "frozen" column in a table [message #1771125 is a reply to message #1022156] Tue, 22 August 2017 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Bärtschi is currently offline Adrian BärtschiFriend
Hi everyone,

Just found this thread while searching for a solution to fix or "freeze" some table columns in our application (Scout 6.1).
Is there any news on this topic?

Many thanks,
Adrian
Re: Having a "frozen" column in a table [message #1771293 is a reply to message #1771125] Wed, 23 August 2017 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
in the past we have discussed how to add functionality to scout tables that allow to mimic some behavior of excel tables such as frozen columns and simpler data entry. these changes will most likely be pretty complex. because of a lack of funding in this situation the idea was abandoned ...

[Updated on: Wed, 23 August 2017 18:04]

Re: Having a "frozen" column in a table [message #1821532 is a reply to message #1771293] Fri, 14 February 2020 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krzysztof Leja is currently offline Krzysztof LejaFriend
Hi,
I am also looking for a solution to freeze the first columns in a table when scrolling horizontally. This feature is especially missing for tables with a large number of columns.
Has anything changed in this topic since the last post from 2017 year?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 February 2020 10:01]

Re: Having a "frozen" column in a table [message #1821651 is a reply to message #1821532] Tue, 18 February 2020 08:13 Go to previous message
Andre Wegmueller is currently offline Andre WegmuellerFriend
Hi,

Quote:
Has anything changed in this topic since the last post from 2017 year?

Short answer: No, it's not planned to implement the "frozen column" feature.

André

Eclipse Scout Homepage | Documentation | GitHub
Previous Topic:displaying images not from the default directory
Next Topic:Implement a dashboard by subclassing IOutline
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:24:37 GMT 2024