Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Editing files opened through remote system explorer(Editing files opened through remote system explorer)
icon5.gif  Editing files opened through remote system explorer [message #1019881] Sat, 16 March 2013 23:47
Martin Williams is currently offline Martin WilliamsFriend
Hi,

I am using Eclipse to connect to an Amazon Ubuntu LAMP instance, open a file and save it. I am getting a security violation error and my files become out of sync between the remote server and my laptop.

These are the steps I have followed:

1. I opened a remote system perspective and connected to the EC2 instance.
2. I located index.php in the sftp files tree
3. I opened the file by double clicking it, changed it in the editor and saved it.

The save operation fails with a security violation - permission denied.

Also, if I close and re-open the file, the changes are still shown in the editor even though I know the file on the remote system has not changed. Somehow, the file I am opening is local and not in sync with the remote server.

It would be really helpful if someone can answer these couple of questions:

1. When I open a ssh shell, I can copy and delete files if I use the SUDO command. How can I get the Eclipse editor to save files using the sudo command or something similar? If this is not possible, any suggestions?

2. When I double click a file in the sftp files tree of the remote system perspective, how can I ensure it is opening the file on the server, not some local copy it failed to save. The only way I have managed to do this so far, has been to delete and recreate the connection - not something I would like to do on a regular basis.

This is my first time using the Eclipse IDE and it looks really powerful - I just need to understand these basics so your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Martin
Previous Topic:A potential eclipse juno bug?
Next Topic:eclipse error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:11:23 GMT 2024