Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » MigLayout for SWT - no such Layout there :(
icon4.gif  MigLayout for SWT - no such Layout there :( [message #1018779] Thu, 14 March 2013 13:06 Go to next message
Patrick B is currently offline Patrick BFriend
Hey Smile

today I wanted to start my first SWT project with WB in Eclipse 4.2 - but I didn't find my lovely MigLayout. So I tried to add this as a component but it throws an exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.miginfocom.swt.MigLayout

It is imported and in the build path, so it may be a problem with the WindowBuilder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Smile
Re: MigLayout for SWT - no such Layout there :( [message #1018961 is a reply to message #1018779] Thu, 14 March 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
WindowBuilder does not support SWT MiGLayout at all. We do support it for Swing where it is moderately popular.

Layouts are not like normal JavaBean-based components. They require an extreme amount of custom design time code in order to support them. Given the extremely low level of interest in that layout for SWT, the WB team does not plan to work on it. If someone else wants to contribute code to support it, we would be happy to take a look and even make suggestions as needed. Starting with the MiGLayout supporting code for Swing would make this a reasonable project to undertake for anyone really interested in that layout.

Personally, I would recommend just using the standard SWT GridLayout. It can do just about everything useful that MiGLayout can do, and it is used by ~99% of the views you will encounter in Eclipse itself (and in most 3rd party plugins). WB also has excellent GridLayout support.
Re: MigLayout for SWT - no such Layout there :( [message #1232948 is a reply to message #1018961] Sat, 18 January 2014 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitrios Trechas is currently offline Dimitrios TrechasFriend
Dear Mr. Clayberg,

But the Miglayout is the lingua franca of the layouts in many GUI-kits. With the acquisition of Google and donation to the Eclipse foundation maybe there is no motivation to implement this feature.

But think about, more people investing in SWT, through RAP and a JavaFX version is coming emulating the SWT toolkit.

Please consider to raise the low priority of this (RFE?) implementing the Miglayout.

Personally I m expecting this feature for many years.

Thank you for your wonderful work that belongs to all the Java world.

Dimitrios Trechas
Re: MigLayout for SWT - no such Layout there :( [message #1233098 is a reply to message #1232948] Sat, 18 January 2014 16:26 Go to previous message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
There is very little motivation to add support for the SWT version of MigLayout for several reasons. Very few people have ever asked for it (and so far, none of them have stepped up to help add it), and, more importantly, it isn't needed that much in the SWT world because of the already existing GridLayout which is very, very good. Most Eclipse code and most Eclipse plugins use the SWT GridLayout for their UIs, so I would always recommend that over a 3rd party layout no matter how good it is.

Keep in mind that this is an open source project, and we welcome new contributors and committers. Adding support for SWT MigLayout would be relatively easy because we already have a high quality implementation for Swing that could serve as a starting point. This is definitely not something that the current team plans to do since we never use that layout under SWT, but we would be happy to help anyone who wanted to give it a try. we would love to have new committers on the project, and this would be a great starter project.
Previous Topic:Extremely slow
Next Topic:Support for Tablelayout / Contribute to project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:58:17 GMT 2024