Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » renaming/deleting services in scout view(old service remains in plugin.xml preventing new creation with same name and gets errors on startup)
renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1018230] Wed, 13 March 2013 13:01 Go to next message
Andreas Engler is currently offline Andreas EnglerFriend
Hello,

the following is more for info, perhaps a feature request.

in my steps of learning scout i come accros a little confusing behavior regarding deleting or renaming a LookupService in server-plugin. Perhaps this is also true for other places.

Scenario 1:
I created a lookup service via LookupService->new. Then i realized, this is the wrong way to use it in a form. The right wy ist to generate it via the shared-plugin Lookup.

So i decided to delete the false created LookupService from server-plugin an recreate it via the default way. But then i get the error, that the Service allready exists and the new creation ist prevented.

On startup there is an error message, not able to load the deleted service.

Scenario 2:
I decided to rename a service. Using right click on service and choosing rename all seems to be fine. But on startup i get the error message, that loading the service with the old name fails. And when it comes to the point, where the application wants to use the renamed service there comes a nul pointer exception.

What i figured out is, that neither deleting the service nor renaming it will doing the needed changes to the plugin.xml in server-plugin.

Is there a way to get all needed changes done automatically? By now i edited the plugin.xml manually and it seems to work. Don't know about side effects. Am i missing some needed changes not done automatically?

Kind regards

Andreas
Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1018271 is a reply to message #1018230] Wed, 13 March 2013 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Hi, thanks for your feedback.

We will have a look at your two scenarios in detail and try to reproduce them. It is possible that you have found some corner cases that are not so well supported by the SDK. We are looking forward to make the SDK more and more robust.

I like to add a point to your scenario 1:
It is possible to create the lookup service first as you have described:

index.php/fa/13829/0/

When you create the lookup call (from shared part) you just indicate that you want to re-use and existing lookup service (second radio button)

index.php/fa/13830/0/

I hope it helps.
icon7.gif  Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1018364 is a reply to message #1018271] Wed, 13 March 2013 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you showing an alternative way, solving the problem of defining lookupservice to early and showing how to reuse a lookup service.

Renaming issue is not covered this way.

I have some general questions on using the forum.

I have trouble similar to http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/449568/ and bugs
Bug 387625.
Question ist where to post my watching (following next). Create a new topic, answer in the thread or in the bug section?

In my case the search form disapears on every second page. (Usind SWT, swing is ok for that but does not give the possibility to hide the search form, thats why i get back to SWT)
That means i have a hierarchie of tablepages with search forms. Navigating through the pages in series gets following behavior (SF for search form)

Page1 SF shown
Page2 SF not shown
Page3 SF shown
Page4 SF not shown
Page5 SF shown
Page1 SF not shown
Page2 SF shown
and so on

I had the same Problem with the Tables on the pages, but this was in a state where i only had 2 Pages so i can't see "the every second page" behavior. I did go on with swing and come back now to SWT. It seems to me, that the problem of disapearing Table is now replaced by disapearing Search Form. At the moment i can't figure out if the above is true for tablepages without search form.

I use eclipse juno with scout package, i think 4.2 eclipse and 3.8.1 scout.
Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1018383 is a reply to message #1018364] Wed, 13 March 2013 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Andreas Engler wrote on Wed, 13 March 2013 18:30

Renaming issue is not covered this way.

That is correct; we need to have a look at both your scenario. Someone needs to take time in order to reproduce it.

You are allowed to open bugs. If you do so, please cross reference the URL of the forum post and of the bug. It is easier to find it.

Question ist where to post my watching (following next). Create a new topic, answer in the thread or in the bug section?

My personal opinion (I am not sure there is a guideline for that) is to put the content that belongs together together. I do not mind an old forum thread being brought back by someone sharing it experience on the topic.

If you open a new topic you somehow need to cross reference all the stuff together (N forum threads and the bug). If you discuss this problem in an other forum thread (this thread or a new one) that is not referenced in the bug, the person that will fix the bug 387625 will not see it and will miss your feedback.

I create a new topic when I want to discuss something new. For example you could have created a new topic "general questions on using the forum."

As for the question Bugzilla vs Forum:
Since the Bug and the Forum are cross referenced, I think It does not matter if you choose to post in Bugzilla Bug 387625 or in the forum post. Use the tool you want.

In my case the search form disapears on every second page. (Usind SWT, swing is ok for that but does not give the possibility to hide the search form, thats why i get back to SWT)
That means i have a hierarchie of tablepages with search forms. Navigating through the pages in series gets following behavior (SF for search form)

I have seen the problem you have described myself. It is a very big problem of Scout Runtime with an Eclipse Runtime > 4.x. (If you want SWT I recommend you to use a 3.x runtime for the moment).

[Updated on: Thu, 14 March 2013 07:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1018598 is a reply to message #1018364] Thu, 14 March 2013 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend

Page1 SF shown
Page2 SF not shown
Page3 SF shown
Page4 SF not shown
Page5 SF shown
Page1 SF not shown
Page2 SF shown
and so on

I had the same Problem with the Tables on the pages, but this was in a state where i only had 2 Pages so i can't see "the every second page" behavior. I did go on with swing and come back now to SWT. It seems to me, that the problem of disapearing Table is now replaced by disapearing Search Form. At the moment i can't figure out if the above is true for tablepages without search form.

I've had the same problem. Setting the upcoming Kepler release of scout as target solved this issue for me.

Create a new project in your workspace and add a "target definition file" to it. Open it in the text or xml editor and paste the following code in there:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?pde version="3.8"?><target name="minicrm" sequenceNumber="29">
<locations>
<location includeAllPlatforms="false" includeConfigurePhase="false" includeMode="slicer" includeSource="true" type="InstallableUnit">
<unit id="org.eclipse.scout.rt.source.feature.group" version="3.9.0.20130206-1155"/>
<unit id="org.eclipse.scout.rt.testing.source.feature.group" version="3.9.0.20130206-1155"/>
<repository location="http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler/"/>
</location>
<location includeAllPlatforms="false" includeConfigurePhase="false" includeMode="slicer" includeSource="true" type="InstallableUnit">
<unit id="org.eclipse.platform.ide" version="3.8.1.M20120914-1540"/>
<unit id="org.eclipse.rcp.feature.group" version="3.8.1.v20120814-105048-92BmGJlFw3Ez0WZ9TxCqgcSVAE"/>
<unit id="org.eclipse.equinox.sdk.feature.group" version="3.8.0.v20120522-1841-7M7fA78g5_y-eQjtHxcd47Zm7mDQ"/>
<repository location="http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.8"/>
</location>
<unit id="com.bsiag.scout.rt.ui.swing.laf.rayo.feature.feature.group" version="3.8.1.201209051219"/>
<repository location="http://tools.bsiag.com/marketplace/rayo"/>
</location>
<unit id="org.eclipse.rap.runtime.requirements.feature.group" version="1.5.1.20120917-1130"/>
<unit id="org.eclipse.rap.runtime.feature.group" version="1.5.1.20120917-1130"/>
<unit id="org.eclipse.scout.rt.rap.feature.feature.group" version="3.8.1.201209171521"/>
<repository location="http://download.eclipse.org/releases/juno/"/>
</location>
<unit id="org.eclipse.rap.incubator.supplemental.fileupload.feature.feature.group" version="1.5.0.20120220-1720"/>
<repository location="http://download.eclipse.org/rt/rap/1.5/incubator"/>
</location>
<unit id="org.eclipse.scout.rt.ui.rap.incubator.filechooser.feature.feature.group" version="3.8.1.201209171521"/>
<repository location="http://download.eclipse.org/scout/releases/3.8"/>
</location>
<unit id="org.w3c.dom.svg" version="1.1.0.v201011041433"/>
<unit id="org.w3c.css.sac" version="1.3.1.v200903091627"/>
<unit id="org.w3c.dom.events" version="3.0.0.draft20060413_v201105210656"/>
<unit id="org.w3c.dom.smil" version="1.0.1.v200903091627"/>
<unit id="javax.servlet" version="2.5.0.v201103041518"/>
<unit id="org.apache.batik.css" version="1.6.0.v201011041432"/>
<unit id="org.apache.batik.util.gui" version="1.6.0.v201011041432"/>
<unit id="org.apache.batik.util" version="1.6.0.v201011041432"/>
<repository location="http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/R20120526062928/repository"/>
</location>
</locations>
</target>

Then save and close it and re-open it in the "target editor", wait until all packages are resolved, then click on the "Set as target platform" link in the upper right corner.

This will use Scout 3.9.0 M5 (Milestone 5 of the Kepler release) which fixed all of the problems described above (but which in turn broke menu support, see Bug 396981 which also describes a workaround; upgrading to M6 on march 22nd should fix this issue as well).
Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1018819 is a reply to message #1018230] Thu, 14 March 2013 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi again,

@Jeremie
Quote:
That is correct; we need to have a look at both your scenario. Someone needs to take time in order to reproduce it.

Yes of course, it is not critical.

@Urs
sorry i'm totally new to the eclipse, RCP and PDE stuff. As i searched correctly, you mean File>New>Other>PDE>Target Definition.

Untill now i thought the RAP Target is RAP related and does not effect the hole project.
Am i correct, that your target definition is P2 update side based?
Do i have to put it in every plugin, so in client, share, server, swt, swing and rap?

Just had a try. It seems one position in one project is enough to affect all projects in workspace. But i get errors that *filechooser.feature* and *filechooser.feature.source* were not found, so the hole process stopped and no target seems to be set anymore.

How do i get my existing project using the new target? Just copy it over and do the set as target for every plugin?

As above stated one location in workspace works for all projects in workspace. Right?

Can i share my project via SVN this way? Even if the eclipse install location ist different on the team machines? I read something about team setup with new 3.9 kepler version and local RAP target. But the P2-update side variant should work for older version and team setup to, right?

As if the RAP target location is not the hole story for team setup, then could you point me to how to set up a Team develop environment? I would expect, that using SVN for the Project files do the job, but not without .metadata and some path fixing in there at the moment. Perhaps all that is gone away with target over p2 update side?

Is there somewhere a how to for setting up all needed update sides for a scout project?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but i am...
Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1020437 is a reply to message #1018819] Mon, 18 March 2013 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
Andreas

I'm not much further ahead of you (about 4 months) and still consider myself a newbie in these matters Smile

"File->New->Other->Plug-in Development->Target Definition" is exactly what I meant. This target definition is indeed P2 update site based. As far as I understood things, having one target definition in your workspace is enough for all projects, in fact, I don't even know if it would be possible to use different targets for different projects (at least not when building in eclipse; doing so using maven/tycho is possible by defining the individual target files). To make your existing projects use the target definition, it is enough to click on the "Set as Target Platform" link.

We are sharing our target definition using SVN, your co-workers can just check out the file, open it, wait for all entries to be resolved and then click "Set as Target Platform".

I can't help you with the error about the "filechooser" errors, the XML I pasted in my post above works exactly like this (and still does, I just checks that it still resolves on my machine).

I'm not aware of a how to for setting up the update sites. We've had someone here to help us with that who's had previous experience. It seems like a fiddly process that involves a lot of trial and error and prone to break when you add a new component...

I don't know if this helps you, but unfortunately it's about as much as I can tell you about all this.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 March 2013 07:04]

Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1023720 is a reply to message #1020437] Mon, 25 March 2013 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Urs,

i tried it with setting up a new rap target and choosing the download option. It seems to be a p2 updatesite target. But unfortunatly this way the pgsql and mysql Drivers are not regognised any more. I posted that in thread "SVN and Eclipse Scout [message #1021128]" too.

But this target is loading the 3.8 Version... I'll try to point some portions to the sites in your xml.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 March 2013 02:11]

Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1025199 is a reply to message #1018364] Tue, 26 March 2013 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Villiger is currently offline Matthias VilligerFriend
Hi Andreas,

I filed bug 404347 which covers the service rename issue.
According to my tests, the issue is because on a service rename the correspondig client proxy in the plugin.xml is not renamed. Can you confirm this?

I try to fix this for 3.9.0 M7

regards,
m
Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1027476 is a reply to message #1025199] Wed, 27 March 2013 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Matthias,

sorry i can't remember which file i edited to overcome that issue. Propably i can look for that after 4.4., but i guess it was the plugin.xml file. But i just searched for the name of the service and i did not look around for the new name, so i can't say if there was some lines changed and others not. But we speak about the plugin.xml of the server plugin, right?

kind regards

Andreas
Re: renaming/deleting services in scout view [message #1062688 is a reply to message #1018364] Mon, 10 June 2013 11:46 Go to previous message
Ken Lee is currently offline Ken LeeFriend
Andreas Engler wrote on Wed, 13 March 2013 13:30

Page1 SF shown
Page2 SF not shown
Page3 SF shown
Page4 SF not shown
Page5 SF shown
Page1 SF not shown
Page2 SF shown
and so on

Hi Andreas,

I've already given a detailed analysis and explanation to this problem in this forum post.

In summary, this is an E4 bug that does not appear when using Eclipse 3.x
A bugfix is planned for Kepler SR1 4.3.1. Until then I suggest that you use Eclipse 3.8 Juno Classic and install Scout 3.9 into it if you the SWT frontend and are affected by this bug.

Cheers,

Ken

Previous Topic:How to create a page that contains a form instead of a table?
Next Topic:Update the Client view any time later after the first time?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:47:31 GMT 2024