Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » [Zest] Different Connections(Various types of connections in one graph)
[Zest] Different Connections [message #1016434] Wed, 06 March 2013 12:58 Go to next message
Alan Sergeant is currently offline Alan SergeantFriend
Hi,
I'm trying to use zest to display 5 different types of connections on one graph.
index.php/fa/13710/0/

Out of the box Zest allows all but (ii - linked) or perhaps I have overlooked it.

My question is what would be the best approach to achieve this connection? In theory it is one connection with 2 start points, 1 end point?

I guess I need to implement IConnectionStyleProvider and modify the getRouter() method but this doesn't seem right, as there would already be 2 connections at this point instead of one?

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Re: [Zest] Different Connections [message #1016703 is a reply to message #1016434] Thu, 07 March 2013 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vitaly Savickas is currently offline Vitaly SavickasFriend
Hi Alan,

Type 2 is exactly what I would like to achieve for my diagram editor. As far as I have researched on the forums this is not supported by the GMF infrastructure. So there are two solutions.

You've mentioned the first one, i.e. to create two connections and reroute them as if they are forked. The disadvantage is that you still have two different connections semantically.

The second is to create an intermediate node at the splitting point, which would represent the single connection on the domain level. This is what I'm doing at the moment. But it makes the user experience less fluid, having to draw a node and two connection to it instead of a single connection. Thankfully there's some hint on how to draw an intermediate node automatically in GMF Tips.

Cheers,
Vitaly
Re: [Zest] Different Connections [message #1017006 is a reply to message #1016703] Fri, 08 March 2013 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alan Sergeant is currently offline Alan SergeantFriend
I think I prefer the first option because as you quite rightly say, the user experience would be better.

I'm thinking though that the only issue to creating the overlapping connections is writing the logic in the background to handle selection of connection.

If the user selects one connection, two should actually be selected.

Re: [Zest] Different Connections [message #1017113 is a reply to message #1017006] Sat, 09 March 2013 13:17 Go to previous message
Vitaly Savickas is currently offline Vitaly SavickasFriend
Fair enough:) However, I believe you don't want to select both connections all the time, only when you select the segment that is common. This adds additional complexity, but can be done, as Andreas Muelder suggested me in a different topic, by fiddling with selection requests.

I believe other developers including myself would very much appreciate if you could post a solution as you implement this feature;)

Cheers,
Vitaly
Previous Topic:Dynamically extending the palette
Next Topic:[GMF tooling] Figure with affixed children and internal children
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:35:58 GMT 2024