Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » What is your 2013 environment configuration for an RCP project development?(Best environment configuration for the development of an RCP product in an agile process context of a SME.)
icon7.gif  What is your 2013 environment configuration for an RCP project development? [message #1016291] Tue, 05 March 2013 21:05 Go to next message
Tanguy Mezzano is currently offline Tanguy MezzanoFriend
Dear Eclipse community,

I've been working since 4 years on a new RCP product dedicated to the industrial automation world. It is a global packaged software including PLC standard graphical and textual programming languages (in respect to the IEC-1131-6 norm), the configuration and diagnose of PLCs, HMI svg based editor, real-time and historical servers and much more. The company decided to follow the agile process one year ago.

In order to improve the old-fashioned release-management we had, I finally had the chance to install useful tools to improve the product's life cycle management. I'm interested in sharing the choices I've made with others in order to provide the best environment for the release of an RCP.

• Server: OpenSuse 12.2 xenified virtual machine, 12GB RAM, 100 GB of disk space.
  • Agile management software: Icescrum at the moment for the scrum follow-up but switching on Jira+GrassHooper
  • Versioning system: SVN but now migrating to Git (planning to follow this branching model)
  • Issue tracking system: Trac but integrating Jira+GreenHopper
  • Continuous Integration: Jenkins+Tycho
  • Project management and automated builds: Maven2
  • Repository server management: Sonatype Nexus
  • Testing: Jubula+JUnit
  • Java: 1.7
  • Eclipse version: Juno but still using e3

Once everything rolling, I will focus on migrating to e4 and then finally contact Eclipse Foundation to go open-source.

I know this post might not be exactly in the appropriated forum but I did not find another one that would correspond.

What environment are you using? This will depend of course of the project size and the number of developers. Our context is a SME with for the moment 4 developers active on the projects and hoping to have more.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2013 21:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is your 2013 environment configuration for an RCP project development? [message #1016493 is a reply to message #1016291] Wed, 06 March 2013 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I can not speak for specific companies on what they use but the e4 project itself uses Bugzilla, git, JUnit, tycho, hudson and a milestone release model. The e4 tools itself is in incubation so we don't have official releases but the Eclipse.platform project does.
Re: What is your 2013 environment configuration for an RCP project development? [message #1018228 is a reply to message #1016291] Wed, 13 March 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for answering Sopot.

Best regards.
Re: What is your 2013 environment configuration for an RCP project development? [message #1021047 is a reply to message #1018228] Tue, 19 March 2013 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jessica Pinto is currently offline Jessica PintoFriend
That is some great information. How has it been to go from release management to agile?

[Updated on: Wed, 20 March 2013 03:27] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is your 2013 environment configuration for an RCP project development? [message #1021055 is a reply to message #1016291] Tue, 19 March 2013 12:54 Go to previous message
Being part of a company that exists since already 90 years and that adapted itself from electronics with informatics. It is not easy to work with juniors that don't have all the history of the evolution of working of the company and seniors that have difficulties with change.

We really had to improve communication in the company and avoid an old-fashioned waterfall methodology for our new informatic projects. We are still seeking the right tools that will fit for our way of working and try to promote them correclty so that all employees use them. In order to avoid redeveloping the same thing in different projects, we recently reorganized the company and put into place new young team leaders with teams that regroup developers with the same skills. (Of course developers can be part of other teams, and team leaders are as well developers). Next month, we will start the KANBAN method and see how it goes.

Regards,
Previous Topic:running exported rcp app
Next Topic:Status of Forms in Eclipse 4?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:35:58 GMT 2024