Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML
Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1016020] Mon, 04 March 2013 15:46 Go to next message
Marco Tirelli is currently offline Marco TirelliFriend
Hi,
I have recently installed Modisco & Papyrus for create a UML diagram of my Java/Android project.

Now i right-clicked on Project & selected Discovery -> Discoveries - > Discover Java Project. This was successful & it gave me a .xmi file.
But when i right-clicked on the xmi file & selected Discovery -> Discoveries -> Generate UML model from KDM model, this don't gave me the .uml file.

Do you know what is the reason?
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1016039 is a reply to message #1016020] Mon, 04 March 2013 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
Hello,

From what I understood, you managed to get a Java model out of your Java project using the first action you are mentioning.
Thus you first have to obtain a KDM model before being able to transform it into UML (thanks to the so-called "UML to KDM" action).
You must make a call, from your Java model, to the "Java to KDM" action.

Note that the "KDM to UML" feature may currently not work on some Java projects and corresponding models.
We are working on solving this bug and a fix will be integrated within the next MoDisco releases.

Best regards,

Hugo

--------------------------------------------------------
Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1016135 is a reply to message #1016039] Tue, 05 March 2013 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes,
I have generated the KDM file (my_program_kdm.xmi) and i've used the call "Discover UML model from KDM model..." but it don't create the corresponding UML in my project (the SERIALIZE_TARGET parameter is true).

Thank's for the answer

Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1016137 is a reply to message #1016039] Tue, 05 March 2013 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 05 March 2013 08:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1016196 is a reply to message #1016137] Tue, 05 March 2013 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

So it seems that, in your case, the bug I've mentioned is occurring.
We are working on in integrating the fix as soon as possible to the MoDisco releases.
In the meantime, you can get the source of the corresponding plugin and apply the provided patch manually (cf. Bug #376144).

Best regards,

Hugo

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1016213 is a reply to message #1016196] Tue, 05 March 2013 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be complete, the very recently released MoDisco Juno SR2 version already integrates the fix that should solve the problem in many cases.

Hugo

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1016457 is a reply to message #1016213] Wed, 06 March 2013 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done the upload and now it works perfectly; thank you very much.

Marco
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1064347 is a reply to message #1016457] Tue, 18 June 2013 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poul poulsen is currently offline poul poulsenFriend
hello,
i read that after update modisco you were able to create an uml diagram from java classes.
how did you view them?
with papyrus? if yes, how did you managed it?

poul
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1064438 is a reply to message #1064347] Wed, 19 June 2013 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

MoDisco is generating the actual UML model (i.e. the ".uml" file when serialized).
The diagramming (displaying) part has to be produced afterwards from this model using the appropriate UML graphical tooling (manually or automatically).

If I remember well, Papyrus as a feature allowing to directly initiate such a diagram from the UML model. Then, you can use an automated layout feature to obtain something readable (and modify it if needed).

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1064543 is a reply to message #1064438] Wed, 19 June 2013 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poul poulsen is currently offline poul poulsenFriend
hello,

thanks for the answer.

"Then, you can use an automated layout feature to obtain something readable"
i tested it, but in my opinion automation is far from reality. i have to DnD every class i want to view inside the view. not very user friendly.
sometimes the autoarrange overlaps, too.
so results are not very good.
do you have any other experience? any hints and tricks to create better diagrams?

poul
Re: Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML [message #1064612 is a reply to message #1064543] Thu, 20 June 2013 08:54 Go to previous message
Hello,

At some point there was a feature in Papyrus allowing to automatically populate a diagram from a model, but maybe this feature has evolved.
Anyway, the process I was mentioning was just a simple way to initiate automatically an UML diagram.
The automated layout of diagrams is a very general problem (not only concerning Model Driven Reverse Engineering) and is not something that we currently intent to address in MoDisco.
I encourage you to post related questions onto the Papyrus forum for instance.

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Previous Topic:step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml
Next Topic:Parameter Initialization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:20:02 GMT 2024