Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Customized Perspective Toolbars (what happened?)
Eclipse Customized Perspective Toolbars (what happened?) [message #1015711] Fri, 01 March 2013 21:08 Go to next message
Nicholas Keene is currently offline Nicholas KeeneFriend
Hi, I've been using Eclipse on and off for about a decade and it's always been my favorite IDE, especially the flexibility and robustness of the UI. Whereupon recently starting a new project, however, I have had inexplicable problems which I'm sure I never had as long as a decade ago.

I want to change the items in my toolbar on a per-perspective basis. I want certain items for the Java perspective, others for the Debug perspective, and still others for the Synchronize perspective. I'm sure this worked at one point but now it doesn't. Did something happen? Did the community of Eclipse developers do something to the toolbars?

I go to Window -> Customize Perspective... -> and make new selections for what I want displayed. I click OK. Nothing changes; the toolbar does not change. When I go back to Customize Perspective, the original selections are again selected. Repeat the process, same thing.

This is inconsistent: every now and then the items do in fact change as desired. That's nice, but they eventually regress after some time has passed. I haven't detected a pattern yet.

Again, I'm stumped by this because surely this worked a decade ago. I assume this is a bug, but if so why wouldn't the developers simply roll back to old code which worked better than new code? Something doesn't make sense. What could explain such an egregious regression?

As long as I'm asking that question I'll mention my real problem: what I want is for the 'Debug' toolbar item, the one which launches a Debug Configuration, to *always* show the dropdown menu and *never* launch the most-recently-launched Configuration. That is because I have a trio of Configurations to start my software and that damned dropdown triangle is so impossibly small that I miss it and click the Bug maybe one-third of the time. I want to change that behavior but I fear I cannot. The second best alternative is to remove everything except for Bug from the toolbar, since Bug is the only item I ever use.
Re: Eclipse Customized Perspective Toolbars (what happened?) [message #1033105 is a reply to message #1015711] Wed, 03 April 2013 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No answers for this? My problem has actually gotten worse. Today I foolishly decided to try again to modify my toolbar. (Why would I do that when I know that the toolbar features are broken and buggy?) I unselected several of the button groups and hit OK. My 'bug' item went away, two button groups moved to the far-right of the toolbar, a few others disappeared, and one remained on the left. That of course isn't at all what I told it to do so I went back and tried to undo that, but the Customize Perspective window showed that all the normal button groups were still selected (whereas plainly they were not), and fooling around with the checkboxes resulted in no changes to my toolbar. Nothing I do gets the 'bug' item back, even though that item is selected in the CP window.

The CP feature really is completely broken, isn't it? Does it work for any of you? Maybe I should try re-installing Eclipse or something, if I'm the only one.
Re: Eclipse Customized Perspective Toolbars (what happened?) [message #1074413 is a reply to message #1033105] Fri, 26 July 2013 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Noneman is currently offline Charles NonemanFriend
I'm having the exact same issue. I just installed Kepler for Java EE on linux 64 bit and the toolbar customization is totally broken. Whenever I load Customize Perspective a bunch of toolbars are selected that are clearly not in my toolbar. Changing which ones are selected has no effect on what is in my toolbar. If I switch perceptive and then switch back I end up with different toolbars than I started with.
icon8.gif  Re: Eclipse Customized Perspective Toolbars (what happened?) [message #1148930 is a reply to message #1074413] Mon, 21 October 2013 21:00 Go to previous message
I'm back to having this problem again except it's worse. When once again trying to fix a toolbar problem (this time the problem was that no Debug icons were shown and that is a problem when I'm trying to use the debugger) I made the mistake of removing all the items from the toolbar, in the Customize dialog box. Much to my surprise, all the icons actually disappeared -- which is a miracle because the toolbar never ever does what I tell it to. Moments later it was back to its old tricks, however, when I reopened that Customize dialog box and it showed most or all of the normal buttons selected, whereas none of them should have been selected. Now, nothing I do can bring any buttons back. The toolbar is totally empty and can't be changed.

I'm serious when i ask this question: how the heck did this happen? How could Eclipse possibly have a programmer rewrite a subsystem, have that programmer turn in work which is horribly broken and doesn't even begin to do what it is supposed to do, and then (this is the part that gets me) replace the old working code with the new horribly broken code. That's the part I don't get. Eclipse had functioning toolbars for years and years and years, so why not use the code which always worked? Why not wait until the replacement code works before using it?
Previous Topic:Eclipse Tutorial
Next Topic:Eclipse Video Lessons by Mark Dexter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:13:30 GMT 2024