Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Is there any new development planned on infocenter?
Is there any new development planned on infocenter? [message #1015686] Fri, 01 March 2013 17:29 Go to next message
Tim Raff is currently offline Tim RaffFriend
Chris,
We use DITA for our product documentation source and eclipse infocenter as our publishing platform. Although it has been an effective interface for presenting documentation, infocenter has a number of issues in today's environment because of its frames-based layout. Tablets and smart phones do not work well with frames, and integrating documentation in an old-fashioned looking infocenter into an otherwise modern website even on the desktop is not easy.

The Eclipse UA project overview shows no activity since Eclipse 3.7 in 2010, and the developers mailing list has no new post since 2011. So my question is, are there any plans for further development of the infocenter, or should we looking elsewhere for publication solutions?
regards
Tim

[Updated on: Fri, 01 March 2013 18:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is there any new development planned on infocenter? [message #1015701 is a reply to message #1015686] Fri, 01 March 2013 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leona Campbell is currently offline Leona CampbellFriend
I am also very interested in the answer to this question. We are currently looking into an html 5 plugin (by suite solutions) to ditch the frames, but I like a lot about eclipse and it would be a shame to lose that.
Re: Is there any new development planned on infocenter? [message #1017035 is a reply to message #1015686] Fri, 08 March 2013 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Raff is currently offline Tim RaffFriend
It's been a week. I'm assuming the inactivity on this means further infocenter development is unlikely.
Re: Is there any new development planned on infocenter? [message #1018751 is a reply to message #1017035] Thu, 14 March 2013 12:15 Go to previous message
Henkka Mising name is currently offline Henkka Mising nameFriend
Infocenter is not a separate project anymore but as a part of Eclipse Core development.

Infocenter as a solution seems to have a trend of standard and stable solution and alternative add in solution on top of it (in use by IBM for example). Also solutions like PDF search are something everyone seems to need to do by themselves (adding open source Lucene compatible indexer plugin into the installation).

I think the main issue is that Chris is not anymore in the lead and there is nobody else named into that role. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Previous Topic:InfoCenter search not indexing large html files
Next Topic:Deploying infocenter in OSGI web container (Virgo)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:00:55 GMT 2024