Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5(gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 on indigo)
gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1015505] Thu, 28 February 2013 22:39 Go to next message
alex zak is currently offline alex zakFriend
Brand-new install of everything and I still can't view any class in designer - getting the infamous 'ClassNotFoundException' when trying to open a file in designer.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.wb.internal.core.editor.multi.DesignerEditor
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:513)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:429)

Specifically I installed (from scratch) the following:
- Eclipse Indigo SR2 on Windows 7 64-bit
- Then installed latest gwt and gpe from here dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/3.7
- Then installed gwt designer from here dl.google.com/eclipse/inst/d2gwt/latest/3.7

At some point during designer install I got a warning that windows builder core was skipped because a later version has allready been installed.

Is GWT designer compatible with gwt 2.5 or do I need earlier gwt version?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1017937 is a reply to message #1015505] Tue, 12 March 2013 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Prentice is currently offline Michael PrenticeFriend
It is compatible.

I had GWT/Designer version 2.4.x installed into Juno (4.2) and I used the update site to update them both to 2.5.0. The GWT Designer seems to be working fine. I am on Windows 7 x64 but have the 32 bit Eclipse installed.

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast
Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1017939 is a reply to message #1015505] Tue, 12 March 2013 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Delete this. Forums were failing to display new posts.

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast

[Updated on: Tue, 12 March 2013 20:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1017941 is a reply to message #1015505] Tue, 12 March 2013 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast

Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1017942 is a reply to message #1015505] Tue, 12 March 2013 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1017950 is a reply to message #1017942] Tue, 12 March 2013 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. Yes eventually I went with Juno and latest gwt + designer and got it all to work.

That said I was rather disappointed to find out that neither latest Sencha GXT nor Smart GWT work with designer anymore. Earlier versions work, but not latest. Overall it seems that community was thrown into a bit of a disarray after gwt got open-sourced. Third party widgets have integraton issues and I dont see any updated roadmap for gwt itself. Doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1018038 is a reply to message #1017950] Wed, 13 March 2013 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
The code to support GXT and Smart GWT was also open sourced and has been offerred to those respective vendors to carry forward. Supporting that 3rd party code was never a job for Google to begin with, but we would be happy to support those vendors if they wished to do so.
Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1018351 is a reply to message #1018038] Wed, 13 March 2013 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Understood. I recognize that with open sourcing there are some upsides and downsides, and less structured loosely-defined support responsibilities is part of the latter. It is what it is.

Eric, in your opinion, going forward for new projects would you even recommend using GWT Designer? I am getting a feeling that one is better of biting the bullet and coding GWT GUI layouts without wysiwig. Of course I am sure that for brand-new projects you could make the argument that one should use Dart...

[Updated on: Wed, 13 March 2013 17:09]

Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1018457 is a reply to message #1018351] Wed, 13 March 2013 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Once the GPE team comes out with their next GWT Designer update (very soon), I would recommend using it for any UI that will use the standard GWT components provided with GWT. The support for Smart GWT and GXT is out of date, so it would not be useful for UIs built with either of those (easily fixable by those vendors if they choose to do so).

I could definitely argue in favor of Dart since it is small, fast (execution speed and dev speed) and thoroughly modern (no legacy browser support cruft). It also has a huge engineering effort behind it.

I will always love GWT though, and have been very impressed with the new open source model adopted by the GWT team and the new GWT steering committee.

I think you would be well served by either at this point. Ask me again in six months Wink
Re: gwt designer doesn't work with gwt 2.5 [message #1019001 is a reply to message #1018457] Thu, 14 March 2013 21:55 Go to previous message
Dart is tempting but we have an existing large java-spring-hibernate backend codebase which we would like to leverage.

Either way, thanks for your thoughts, Eric. We'll touch base in 6 months Smile
Previous Topic:WindowBuilder Install Fails Eclipse Juno 4.2
Next Topic:New WindowBuilder install doesn't work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:59:29 GMT 2024