Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Gemini » SpringBlueprintConverterService$BlueprintConverterException with generics
SpringBlueprintConverterService$BlueprintConverterException with generics [message #1014480] Mon, 25 February 2013 22:35 Go to next message
Matt Magoffin is currently offline Matt MagoffinFriend
Hello, I'm having an exception while trying to wire up some services using generics with Gemini Blueprint. I've created a simple sample bundle that demonstrates my problem. The Blueprint XML:

<bean id="subDatumDataSource" class="test.SimpleSubDatumDataSource"/>

<bean id="proxyDatumDataSource" class="test.ProxyDatumDataSource">
	<argument ref="subDatumDataSource"/>
</bean>

where ProxyDatumDataSource is defined as

public class ProxyDatumDataSource<T extends Datum> implements DatumDataSource<T>

and SimpleSubDatumDataSource is defined as

public class SimpleSubDatumDataSource implements DatumDataSource<SubDatum>

and SubDatum is defined as

public interface SubDatum extends Datum

The resulting exception is:

org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'proxyDatumDataSource' defined in OSGi resource[bundleentry://85.fwk368471295/OSGI-INF/blueprint/module.xml|bnd.id=85|bnd.sym=reified-test]: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor argument with index 0 of type [test.DatumDataSource]: Could not convert constructor argument value of type [test.SimpleSubDatumDataSource] to required type [test.DatumDataSource]: Failed to convert value of type 'test.SimpleSubDatumDataSource' to required type 'test.DatumDataSource'; nested exception is org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.blueprint.container.SpringBlueprintConverterService$BlueprintConverterException: No conversion found for generic argument(s) for reified type interface test.Datum source type test.SimpleSubDatumDataSource| targetType =interface test.DatumDataSource
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.createArgumentArray(ConstructorResolver.java:702)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:196)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireConstructor(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1035)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:939)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:485)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:456)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:294)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:225)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:291)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:193)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:605)
	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:925)
	at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.context.support.AbstractDelegatedExecutionApplicationContext.access$1600(AbstractDelegatedExecutionApplicationContext.java:60)
	at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.context.support.AbstractDelegatedExecutionApplicationContext$4.run(AbstractDelegatedExecutionApplicationContext.java:325)
	at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.util.internal.PrivilegedUtils.executeWithCustomTCCL(PrivilegedUtils.java:85)
	at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.context.support.AbstractDelegatedExecutionApplicationContext.completeRefresh(AbstractDelegatedExecutionApplicationContext.java:290)
	at org.eclipse.gemini.blueprint.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor$CompleteRefreshTask.run(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:137)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

It seems that since SimpleSubDatumDataSource implements DatumDataSource<SubDatum> instead of DatumDataSource<Datum> Gemini isn't able to perform the conversion? I tried using some different approaches, like a factory method, but I wasn't successful. Is this a bug, or can I work around this somehow?
Re: SpringBlueprintConverterService$BlueprintConverterException with generics [message #1014852 is a reply to message #1014480] Tue, 26 February 2013 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
I'm no expert on Java generics, but module.xml is trying to cause the creation of an instance of the type ProxyDatumDataSource<T extends Datum> in which the type parameter T is "flapping".
Re: SpringBlueprintConverterService$BlueprintConverterException with generics [message #1014915 is a reply to message #1014852] Tue, 26 February 2013 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Magoffin is currently offline Matt MagoffinFriend
So far the only way I've found to work around it is to use a factory method that accepts an Object, e.g.

@SuppressWarnings({ "rawtypes", "unchecked" })
public static ProxyDatumDataSource<? extends Datum> getInstance(Object delegate) {
	ProxyDatumDataSource<? extends Datum> ds = new ProxyDatumDataSource<Datum>(
			(DatumDataSource) delegate);
	return ds;
}

Is this just something Blueprint/Spring can't deal with (in terms of the generics)?
Re: SpringBlueprintConverterService$BlueprintConverterException with generics [message #1015046 is a reply to message #1014915] Wed, 27 February 2013 09:39 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Matt Magoffin wrote on Tue, 26 February 2013 18:36
Is this just something Blueprint/Spring can't deal with (in terms of the generics)?

Probably. Personally, I would steer clear of anything more than the most trivial use of generics with Blueprint.
Previous Topic:Any example for Gemini JPA Eclipse RCP ?
Next Topic:Multiple version of bundle OSGI / BluePrint
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:20:14 GMT 2024