Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Learning to use Eclipse with Java: book recommendations?
Learning to use Eclipse with Java: book recommendations? [message #1012707] Fri, 22 February 2013 04:26 Go to next message
Jonathan Sachs is currently offline Jonathan SachsFriend
I'm going to work for a company that develops most of its software in Java and uses Eclipse as its IDE.

I did a lot of Java development from 1998 to 2002, and I don't foresee any difficulty refreshing the skills I had, or learning the features that have been added. I've never used Eclipse beyond a very elementary level, though, and I think it's time for me to learn it properly.

I'm looking for a book that I can use for self-instruction. If you're familiar with a variety of books on Eclipse, please tell me: what would you recommend?

Note, I'm looking for a book about Eclipse for use with Java, not "learning Java with Eclipse." A "learning Java with" book is OK if it's organized so that I can flip past the Java parts and concentrate on Eclipse, but I'd really rather have a book that's mainly about Eclipse itself, not one that's "diluted" with a lot of information I won't read.
Re: Learning to use Eclipse with Java: book recommendations? [message #1012970 is a reply to message #1012707] Fri, 22 February 2013 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Eclipse includes an online help section that has a Java development user guide. The user guide shows how to use Eclipse to develop Java applications.

There are also a number of excellent online tutorials written by Lars Vogel at http://www.vogella.com/eclipseide.html
Re: Learning to use Eclipse with Java: book recommendations? [message #1013456 is a reply to message #1012970] Sat, 23 February 2013 17:49 Go to previous message
Jonathan Sachs is currently offline Jonathan SachsFriend
I appreciate your effort to help, but I asked for a book -- not a resource -- for a reason. Actually, several reasons:

* I find it tiring to read large amounts of text on-screen.

* Online resources tie me to my computer, which ties me to a noisy, distracting environment at work.

* Using a computer requires me to sit in an office chair in front of a desk, which is also tiring.

* Online resources are difficult to bookmark and annotate.

* When I move between work and home I move between different computers, which compounds the bookmarking/annotating difficulty.

For those reasons (and others) online resources are much less effective for me than paper ones. I would strongly prefer a book.
Previous Topic:How to make ejb project in eclipse
Next Topic:Class parameter in newWizard of Plugin.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:54:29 GMT 2024