Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » ListRewrite removes whitespace(ListRewrite removes whitespace when removing a modifier but I don't want to do that)
ListRewrite removes whitespace [message #1011931] Wed, 20 February 2013 14:32 Go to next message
Tas Frangoullides is currently offline Tas FrangoullidesFriend
I'm implementing a shortcut for toggling the final modifier.

Where a final modifier is present I remove it by using a ListRewrite

ASTRewrite rewrite = ASTRewrite.create(ast);
    ListRewrite listRewrite = rewrite.getListRewrite(declaration, declaration.getModifiersProperty());
    listRewrite.remove(finalModifier);

However when there are modifiers or annotation on the previous line I get unwanted removal of the carriage return.

E.g.
	@Override
	final void myMethod() {

}

becomes

@Override void myMethod() {

}

Is there a way to preserve the white space or ensure that formatting rules are applied to the list of modifiers?

Thanks,
Tas
Re: ListRewrite removes whitespace [message #1012498 is a reply to message #1011931] Thu, 21 February 2013 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought I might have found the solution when I came across setTargetSourceRangeComputer(..) on ASTRewrite. I thought that maybe the whitespace was being considered part of the final modifier's AST node. However when I passed my own implementation I noticed that a correct length of 5 was already being used.

I've taken a look at the text edits return by the rewrite and I get the following
{MultiTextEdit} [53,8] [undefined]
{DeleteEdit} [53,3]
{DeleteEdit} [56,5]

It seems that ASTRewrite has distinctly determined that the whitespace also needs to be deleted ([56,5] is 'final').

I'll dig into ASTRewrite to see if I can understand why it does this. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions they'd be very welcome.

Thanks,
Tas
Re: ListRewrite removes whitespace [message #1016645 is a reply to message #1012498] Thu, 07 March 2013 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've not been able to find a suitable way around this and I'm thinking it's a bug in the ASTRewrite which means that formatting rules are not being applied properly for modifiers.

Are there any JDT developers on this group that can confirm this before I go opening a bug?

Thanks,
Tas
Re: ListRewrite removes whitespace [message #1016793 is a reply to message #1016645] Thu, 07 March 2013 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
which formatter rule do you see violated by this rewrite?
Specifically, what are your settings in the New Lines > Annotations setting of your formatter profile?
Re: ListRewrite removes whitespace [message #1017033 is a reply to message #1016793] Fri, 08 March 2013 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been using the built-in default for testing. Under annotations this has insert new life after everything except parameters.

If I have the following
	@Override
	protected void myMethod() {
	}

and use ASTRewrite to remove the visibility modifier I get this:
	@Override void myMethod() {
	}

If I then run Source->Format I get

@Override
	void myMethod() {
	}

[Updated on: Fri, 08 March 2013 17:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ListRewrite removes whitespace [message #1018788 is a reply to message #1017033] Thu, 14 March 2013 13:25 Go to previous message
Sounding like a bug? Anyone?
Previous Topic:Improvement proposal for debugger
Next Topic:How does "Open Declaration" work?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:34:07 GMT 2024