Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Problems building a product(-vm argument and JRE directory)
Problems building a product [message #1011414] Tue, 19 February 2013 14:38 Go to next message
Markus Jo is currently offline Markus JoFriend
Hi,
we have a RCP application and have several problems.

1. When we build the project an $ourproductname$.ini is created. I do not talk about the config.ini in the configuration directory. I talk about the ini-file in the parent directory.

It looks like this:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502

-vm
features/epa.pflegeclient.runtime_1.0.0/jre/bin

-vmargs
-Xms512m
-Xmx1216m

The problem is, that there is no JRE at "features/epa.pflegeclient.runtime_1.0.0/jre/bin" and I dont know how to prevent that. The main problem is, that we use an update mechanism and everytime a user does an update he is not able to start the application because the update seems to replace the refactored ini-file and inserts the bad line. He always has to delete this line first.

2. The JRE-Directory.....everytime we export the project it is created and a whole JRE is copied to it. AND everytime a user does an update the update mechanism seems to search for JRE on the users hard disk an copies it to the products folder. We do not have checked the "Bundle JRE environment..." checkbox checked.
The main problem here is that, the JRE is created and if we do not delete it before giving it to a user he gets an error when he triggers an update because the update mechanism want to write/update the jre directory, but he cant because the our application in which he is running uses it. How can that be ??!?!?!

Help plz.
Re: Problems building a product [message #1012293 is a reply to message #1011414] Thu, 21 February 2013 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No ideas ?
Re: Problems building a product [message #1012369 is a reply to message #1012293] Thu, 21 February 2013 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Krügler is currently offline Daniel KrüglerFriend
On 2013-02-21 10:33, Markus Jo wrote:> No ideas ?

I have read your original issue, but it was confusing to me. The title
indicated that you have a problem with an Eclipse Product Build, but
your second parts indicates that you have a problem with the update
machinery. I still don't understand the actual problem. If you are
asking "The build produces a funny entry in the .ini file

-vm
features/epa.pflegeclient.runtime_1.0.0/jre/bin

and I don't know why, is easier to answer. But I'm not sure whether this
is your problem or not.

HTH & Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Re: Problems building a product [message #1012442 is a reply to message #1012369] Thu, 21 February 2013 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Daniel,
yes, thats the first problem.....the build produces this fu(xxx)nny entry in the .ini.

AND even when I delete this entry, after every update this entry is in the ini-file again (second problem). I never told anyone on this world that there is a jre in "features/epa.pflegeclient.runtime_1.0.0/jre/bin".

The third problem is the jre folder that is created by the build and failed to be upated by the update mechanism (I dont want this folder, and I dont want to have an update on this folder. I want it only an my plugins)
Re: Problems building a product [message #1012511 is a reply to message #1012442] Thu, 21 February 2013 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Krügler is currently offline Daniel KrüglerFriend
On 2013-02-21 16:02, Markus Jo wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> yes, thats the first problem.....the build produces this fu(xxx)nny
> entry in the .ini.

This shouldn't happen in the first place. How do you perform your
product build? Is this entry something that you have in your launch
configuration and you have done an Eclipse-IDE-triggered build that
synchronizes the product file with your launch configuration?

Better define your .product file where you ensure that the entries in
the "Launching" tab of the PDE editor does not have such a VM argument
as you describe.

HTH & Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Re: Problems building a product [message #1012787 is a reply to message #1012511] Fri, 22 February 2013 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I have the cause for problem 1 and 2....yeah.

We are using the p2 plugins and one of our developers has added a p2.ini to our plugins root directory right beside our .product file. And the product build reads this file and inserts the lines in there to our .ini......and in this p2.ini was this wrong "-vm ....". I deleted this p2.ini and the bad line is not there anymore and everything seems to run.

BUT the other problem is still there.....the JRE directory. If you look at the screensshot of my .product file (which I use to build/export the client) u see that I disabled the option to bundle the JRE. Nevertheless the build always creates a JRE directory. That woulkd be something with that I could live, but when we use the update mechanism he tries to update this JRE directory and aborts the whole update because he has no write access to it (surely not, because its used by the client itself).
If we delete the directory after the export the update works for one time. Only for one time, because the update creates the deleted JRE directory again and the next update has the access right problem again.

How can I prevent that this JRE directory is created ?
Re: Problems building a product [message #1012791 is a reply to message #1012787] Fri, 22 February 2013 08:32 Go to previous message
Hmm, I dont see a possibility to upload an image.....just believe me. I do not checked the "bundle JRE for this environment with the product" in the .product file and the selection in the drop down box above is empty.

The help (using f1) says "The JRE will be placed in the jre directory at the root of your product."...this sounds like it it always placed there, no matter what I click. But whats going wrong with the update ? Why he wants to replace the JRE folder that he is currently using ?

Previous Topic:Refresh TreeViewer after open file action
Next Topic:Why I export the product , but the exe can not run?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:10:38 GMT 2024