Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse cannot add Tomcat server in Ubuntu Linux(Eclipse Java EE cannot add Tomcat)
Eclipse cannot add Tomcat server in Ubuntu Linux [message #1008874] Thu, 14 February 2013 02:56 Go to next message
B Weng is currently offline B WengFriend
I was trying to add a Tomcat server in Eclipse Java EE IDE in Ubuntu. When I click "Add new server" in Eclipse and select "Tomcat v7.0 Server", the field "Server Name" is blank and I cannot type in anything in that textbox as shown below:

The textbox becomes completely frozen up and I can't type anything in that box. What I did before is I deleted a Tomcat server from Eclipse and I was trying to reinstall the Tomcat by clicking the "New Server Wizzard". But it doesn't allow me to type anything in that textbox and I cannot proceed to the "Next" button. My environment is Ubuntu Linux and Eclipse for JavaEE.

I even reinstalled the whole Eclipse Java EE but it didn't help. I did the same in Windows version of Eclipse Java EE and it is fine. So is there any bug reported on Linux version?

• Attachment: eclipse.png
    (Size: 49.63KB, Downloaded 701 times)
Re: Eclipse cannot add Tomcat server in Ubuntu Linux [message #1009173 is a reply to message #1008874] Thu, 14 February 2013 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi,

You need to first create a Tomcat 7 runtime before you can create a
server for it.

Go to Windows->Preferences->Servers->Installed Runtimes and add (point
to) an installed Tomcat 7 installation on your system.

Rich
Re: Eclipse cannot add Tomcat server in Ubuntu Linux [message #1009246 is a reply to message #1009173] Thu, 14 February 2013 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
B Weng is currently offline B WengFriend
Thanks for your info. I solved the problem finally by myself. I think there is a bug in the Eclipse Java EE Juno version for Linux version.

What I did is:

Something is hidden in org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core.prefs

So in order to solve the problem

close eclipse
go to {workspace-directory}/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings
remove the files org.eclipse.wst.server.core.prefs and org.eclipse.jst.server.tomcat.core.prefs

This will solve my problem.

I think Linux version of Eclipse JavaEE Juno has a bug for this. But Windows version is fine.
Re: Eclipse cannot add Tomcat server in Ubuntu Linux [message #1075102 is a reply to message #1009246] Sun, 28 July 2013 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elye Mittelman is currently offline Elye MittelmanFriend
B Weng wrote on Thu, 14 February 2013 13:48

I think Linux version of Eclipse JavaEE Juno has a bug for this. But Windows version is fine.

I just had the same problem on windows on my Eclipse Juno, and solved it when deleting the 2 files.
Thanks for the solution i guess the bug is for eclipse on windows as well...
Re: Eclipse cannot add Tomcat server in Ubuntu Linux [message #1088244 is a reply to message #1008874] Fri, 16 August 2013 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Terry Truta is currently offline Terry TrutaFriend
I just had the same problem on Mac OS X 10.8 with Eclipse Kepler I solved it by deleting the 2 files. Maybe it is a bug with the version of JST Server Adapters. I'm using version 3.2.201.v20130123_1813-20A87w31241234a2924

Thanks for posting the solution.
Re: Eclipse cannot add Tomcat server in Ubuntu Linux [message #1252297 is a reply to message #1008874] Fri, 21 February 2014 04:36 Go to previous message
dumidu handakumbura is currently offline dumidu handakumburaFriend
I too had the same problem. thanks for the fix B Weng. Very Happy
Previous Topic:Eclipse Juno update axis 1.4 to 1.6.2
Next Topic:Re: error 404 for downloading Graphical Editing Framework (GEF)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:22:21 GMT 2024