Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Why model in Epsilon?
Why model in Epsilon? [message #1008598] Wed, 13 February 2013 09:06 Go to next message
Philippe de Rochambeau is currently offline Philippe de RochambeauFriend
Hello,

I am new to Epsilon and wonder what the advantages of modeling in that language are over creating prototype classes in Java or Groovy or Scala.

Many thanks.

Philippe

Re: Why model in Epsilon? [message #1008644 is a reply to message #1008598] Wed, 13 February 2013 11:55 Go to previous message
Antonio Garcia-Dominguez is currently offline Antonio Garcia-DominguezFriend

Well, that's a pretty deep question! Perhaps you should be more specific in what you want out of Epsilon Smile. Also, I think you should read this article first:

http://blog.jot.fm/2013/01/25/lies-damned-lies-and-uml2java/

My first answer would be that modelling != coding. Modelling operates at a higher level of abstraction, and your models should reflect your problem domain (what should be done) rather than your solution domain (how it should be done). The higher level of abstraction allows you to do interesting things, such as validation, automated transformation, code generation, simulation and so on.

My second answer would be that not all models need to be done with EMF or with graphical tools. Some models can be entirely textual (according to a Domain-Specific Language), and in fact many of the Unix minilanguages could be treated as domain-specific languages which serve as little models (of execution). In this regard, you could write a DSL with Java (not pretty), Groovy (better) or Scala (also better) just fine, or you may prefer having all the features Xtext (not part of Epsilon) would bring you. But if you need graphical models, Eugenia (part of Epsilon) is very nice for that!

[Updated on: Wed, 13 February 2013 11:58]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Epsilon Development Tools on Eclipse 4.3
Next Topic:[EuGENia][EOL]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:42:36 GMT 2024