Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » sequenceNumber in target platform file
sequenceNumber in target platform file [message #1008389] Tue, 12 February 2013 09:50 Go to next message
Erdal Karaca is currently offline Erdal KaracaFriend
Hi all,
What is the sequenceNumber value in the target element of the target platform file (*.target) good for?
Can I suppress PDE to write the version number and/or the <?pde ?> XML PI?

Thanks!
Re: sequenceNumber in target platform file [message #1008482 is a reply to message #1008389] Tue, 12 February 2013 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
The sequence number is used to keep a target definition that uses p2 repositories in sync with a p2 profile. If something is changed to the target, the sequence number is incremented which indicates to the profile that it needs to catch up. The profile is used to cache the target content vastly improving performance.

No, you cannot surpress writing out of that information. That information is important because the structure of the file has changed between releases and we support older target files.
Re: sequenceNumber in target platform file [message #1008514 is a reply to message #1008482] Tue, 12 February 2013 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erdal Karaca is currently offline Erdal KaracaFriend
If I use 3.8 to write the target file, it does not work in 3.7 anymore... the Target Definition file editor is empty. If I change the version manually to 3.7 it works again, I cant see any structural differences in both versions...
Is that a known problem?

Curtis Windatt wrote on Tue, 12 February 2013 18:05

No, you cannot surpress writing out of that information. That information is important because the structure of the file has changed between releases and we support older target files.

Re: sequenceNumber in target platform file [message #1008713 is a reply to message #1008514] Wed, 13 February 2013 16:48 Go to previous message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
The file structure did change in 3.8, though perhaps in no way that affected your file. We do not support future versions, so 3.7 is not expected to read a target file from 3.8 (we do support the reverse, reading 3.7 in 3.Cool.

That being said, we should log something if the version doesn't match something we support. We could also just try using the last known file structure and hope that it doesn't break or cause a confusing error. I will open a bug for this:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=400712
Previous Topic:Export Eclipse plugins with external jars
Next Topic:Enhancing plugin dependencies classpath container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:25:09 GMT 2024