Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369"(Eclipse for RCP and RAP developers crashed intermittently, giving an error message. )
icon9.gif  Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369" [message #1008234] Mon, 11 February 2013 16:22 Go to next message
Stephen Wootten is currently offline Stephen WoottenFriend
Hi guys, I've just started to get this problem out of nowhere and can't seem to find a fix that works for it. Basically when I am developing in Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers; either making changes to java files or changing dependencies etc, Eclipse randomly hangs and then freezes. I have to force close eclipse and I get an error message.

I can't upload images or post links yet so I've attached the two images in a zip file. One image is the error message I get when eclipse crashes and the other is a screen shot of my eclipse log file after it crashes.

I have researched the error message for a while and I have found fixes but none of them have seemed to work.

Things I have tried so far:

-Restarted eclipse and PC
-Added the -clean command to the very beginning of the eclipse.ini file
-Created a brand new work space and attempted to develop in that

I'm running on the latest version of Java (1.7.0_01) and haven't got a clue what to do next.

The problem has happened 4 or 5 times in a number of different occasions:

-When I have tried to add a new package to the src folder
-When I have tried to add a class to a package in the src folder
-When I have tried to edit a class in a package in the src folder
-When using Ctrl+Space in a class in the src folder

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated! Need to get this problem sorted so I can get developing for my 3rd Year University Project Smile
Re: Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369" [message #1008295 is a reply to message #1008234] Mon, 11 February 2013 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
1.7.0_01 is actually a quite old version of Java. The current version is 1.7.0_13
Re: Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369" [message #1008303 is a reply to message #1008295] Mon, 11 February 2013 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your right, I forgot to update my SE Runtime Environment. I've updated it now but there is no change. This problem has happened to other people and the main reason why it happens seems to be that Eclipse and the JVM aren't on the same architecture, but my Eclipse and Java are both 64bit versions so I don't know what's going on.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Re: Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369" [message #1009568 is a reply to message #1008303] Fri, 15 February 2013 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
If eclipse freezes either in a busy loop or due to a deadlock, these hints should help providing necessary details:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock

BTW: reporting error messages should preferrably happen in ascii: easier to read, supports copy&paste etc.
Re: Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369" [message #1009787 is a reply to message #1009568] Fri, 15 February 2013 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply Stephen.

I filed an error report a few days ago and they asked me for the JVM stack dump/stack trace file but there wasn't one produced that I'm aware of. Do I have to run a command on the cmd prompt to get one to be produced when Java crashes?
Re: Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369" [message #1009796 is a reply to message #1009787] Fri, 15 February 2013 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Your original post said:
Quote:
... Eclipse randomly hangs and then freezes. I have to force close eclipse ...

For that scenario the wiki page I mentioned should provide all the help necessary.

If eclipse crashes otherwise, and if it's a JVM crash there should be some log file somewhere, but then details of what to search for a vendor specific.
Re: Eclipse RCP Crash "java was started but returned exit code = -805306369" [message #1010538 is a reply to message #1009796] Sun, 17 February 2013 16:21 Go to previous message
Hi guys,

I think I have finally fixed the problem but I still don't know what caused it.

Here is what I have done which seems to keep it working.

- Un-installed Eclipse for RCP and RAP
- Un-installed all Java on my PC and deleted and Java folders in my directories
- Deleted my PATH entry for Java in Environment Variables
- Fresh install of Eclipse and a fresh install of Java

Although I had done the above a few times I didn't search through and delete any old Java folders which may have caused some issues for some reason.

Fingers crossed it doesn't start spazzing out again Smile

Previous Topic:Background Set Problem
Next Topic:How to open a package in a Maven Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:17:27 GMT 2024