Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » table-style graph(does zest have tabular representation?)
table-style graph [message #1007779] Thu, 07 February 2013 13:38 Go to next message
Mokhtar Alshubei is currently offline Mokhtar AlshubeiFriend
Hello all,

I am a bit newbie zest and want to visualize a model in an eclipse viewpart. my intended style needs to be a tabular representation. see attached please.http://s14.directupload.net/images/130207/nnv5wlxa.jpg

Is there a way to manage that layout and treat it as columns and rows?

all you see in the image are nodes situated in (cells). Also there could be special rows like the bottom and special column like the empy as in the image.

Thanks a lot!
Mok
Re: table-style graph [message #1007781 is a reply to message #1007779] Thu, 07 February 2013 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zoltan Ujhelyi is currently offline Zoltan UjhelyiFriend
Hi,

what you want is seemingly achievable using the GridLayout algorithm, if you are content with filling all the cells.

However, if you need something more specific, I suggest creating a new layout algorithm similar to the GridLayout that can handle your constraints. E.g. we did this for our paper Visualization of Traceability Models with Domain-specific Layouting.

Cheers,
Zoltán
Re: table-style graph [message #1007788 is a reply to message #1007781] Thu, 07 February 2013 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks so much Zoltán. I am happy to find a paper close to what am looking for. Just to benefet from your experience in GEF, I don't know myself why I want to use zest or for example yworks! Could you help me with what is better? my domain you can just get it from the image i gave.

cheers,
mok
Re: table-style graph [message #1007790 is a reply to message #1007788] Thu, 07 February 2013 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it depends on what you want to achieve. Zest is open source, and provides really nice integration to Eclipse UI (as it is based on SWT). On the other hand, the built-in layout algoritms of yWorks are better (but for your specific layout this should not be much of an issue), and it's free version does not allow programmatic integration.

Of course, I am biased towards Zest, especially as I experimented only a little with yWorks, so your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Zoltán
Re: table-style graph [message #1007801 is a reply to message #1007790] Thu, 07 February 2013 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile Smile Smile
That's great! I feel also that zest is more friendly with eclipse. My model consists of:
1- domain elements, just java objects (every one to be a node and has sub-nodes and attributes like color)
2- versions, every one is a set of domain elements with a unique time stamp. (Every set of uniquely timestamped elements is to be a column in the Grid)
3- every edge connects the same element (i.e. node) across the versions
4- the special first row is to reflect what was the action that produce the above column of elements (e.g. run of an analysis, annotate others with green or red, ..etc)
5- the graph should not be editable or moveable, but only scalable and zoomable within the eclipse viewpart
6- I will need of course click and doubleclick listeners to navigate to the source behind these node symbols

So, briefly 1 is the columns and 2 is the rows. The nodes need to be attached to their version not simply positionedwhere they fit
best thanks,
Mok
Re: table-style graph [message #1007829 is a reply to message #1007790] Thu, 07 February 2013 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Zoltán,

So, I landed in GridLayout for my visualization task. You said maybe the GridLayoutAlgorithm is sufficient. How can I then position a certain Node in a certain column or cell?

In case I need to subclass and do as you have done for your Model-Transformation Traceability research, I would strongly appreciate some guidelines from you as from where I should start. Should I subclass the GridLayoutAlgorithm class or its super AbstractLayoutAlgorithm or maybe implement the LayoutAlgorithm Confused Shocked

To be specific: I want to create number of rows for given time stamps, create the nodes, then position every node in its correct column (based on the node's time stamp)

Thank you so much,
Mok
Re: table-style graph [message #1008001 is a reply to message #1007829] Fri, 08 February 2013 14:58 Go to previous message
Hi,

well, it really depends. If the grid layout works almost perfectly, then it would make sense to either inherit from it, or just simply copy and modify it (at least if its EPL licence works for you well).

In our case, we started with simply adding a comparator to those nodes, as the grid layout simply adds the elements right next to each other as long as a column is filled. However, if you need to leave some places out, then you have to change the implementation as well. But the GridLayout implementation is really straightforward, so I suggest looking at it and adapting as needed.

However, if you have a better (but really different) implementation in mind, then it seems better to start with implementing LayoutAlgorithm directly.

Cheers,
Zoltán
Previous Topic:How initially scroll when editor opens?
Next Topic:[Zest] Maintaining order of leaves in SpaceTreeLayout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:28:33 GMT 2024