Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example(Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example)
Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1007183] Mon, 04 February 2013 19:58 Go to next message
Steve Mayer is currently offline Steve MayerFriend
Hello,

I have programmed part of the Graph Product Line (GPL) in Object-Teams. I have a question regarding my code, so I post here a simplified version of my example.

Background: The Graph Product Line (GPL) is a Software Product Line (SPL) about Graphs and features regarding different type of Graphs (weighted or unweighted edges, directed or undirected edges, colored or uncolored edges, etc.) and various graph algorithms.

Currently I am interested in the dynamic capabilities of Object Teams. Especially in adding roles to existing objects at runtime and managing the state of instance variables in that situation.

In my small example I have implemented a plain 'Graph' and also a 'WeightedGraph' (both team classes). It is setting, an edge is part of a graph and connects two nodes. This is implemented via the Role 'Graph.Edge' that consists of two instance variables 'from' and 'to', which are both of type 'Graph.Node'.

Here is a link to the full code example, a simplified version of the graph product line (GPL):
[h]ttps://gist.github.com/8cb1cd50bd5b832532c9
[h]ttp://wikisend.com/download/348874/simplified-gpl-example.zip

(Probably I am using object teams in a slightly different manner compared to the online code examples. If you know improvements to my code, please tell me.)

Information about the version of OT:
Eclipse SDK 4.3M4
Object Teams Development Tooling - 2.2.0.201212161846
Runtime - objectteams.runtime_2.1.0.201212161846.jar

Short information regarding the code example:
For a weighted edge a new instance variable 'weight' is needed, which is of type 'int'. The Role 'Weighted.Edge' that is part of 'WeightedGraph' and includes the instance variable 'weight'.

The goal for the example is:
How can I create an 'Edge' with the Role 'Graph.Edge' and how can I later lift this edge to also include the Role 'WeightedGraph.Edge'. After the lifting, I would like to access/print the instance variables defined in 'Graph.Edge', as well those defined in 'WeightedGraph.Edge'.

I have implemented the functionality using lifting, but unfortunately if I print the 'Edge' object, this result is a NullPointerException. (The call 'super.print()' within the method 'WeightedGraph.Edge.print()' of Role 'WeightedGraph.Edge' results in the exception.)

I am interested in:
a) Why does this exception happen?
b) Is there an alternative approach in object teams to solve the problem?

Best regards from Vienna,
Stephan

(aka Steve Mayer)

====== here is a copy of the source code (see also the linked zipfile above) ======

public class Edge { }

public class Node { }

public team class Graph {

// ArrayList<REdges> edges = new ArrayList<GEdge>();
// public void addEdge(Edge as REdge e) { edges.add(e); }
// (simplified example, this is commented out)

// new method
protected REdge newEdge(String name) {
return new REdge(name);
}

public class REdge playedBy Edge {
protected RNode from, to;

public REdge(Edge e) { System.out.println("Graph.REdge() -- custom lifting constructor"); }

public REdge(String name) {
base();
System.out.println("Graph.REdge() -- normal constructor");
from = new RNode("node-from -- name: "+name);
to = new RNode("node-to -- name: "+name);
}
public void print() {
System.out.println("Plain Edge with two nodes:");
from.print();
to.print();
}
}

public class RNode playedBy Node {
protected String name;

public RNode(String s) { base(); name = s;}

public void print() { System.out.println(name); }
}

}

public team class WeightedGraph extends Graph {

// lifting method
protected REdge liftDecorate(Edge as REdge e) { return e;}

public class REdge playedBy Edge {
int weight = -1;

public REdge(Edge e) { System.out.println("WeightedGraph.REdge() -- custom lifting constructor"); }

public void print() {
System.out.println("WeightedEdge with nodes:");
tsuper.print();
}
public int getWeight() { return weight; }
}

}

public class Main {

public static void main(String[] args) {

// note: simplified example, we don't do anything with the objects
// usually we would do 'g1.add( g1.newEdge() )' and so on

Graph g1 = new Graph();
g1.newEdge(" plain Edge A").print();

WeightedGraph g2 = new WeightedGraph();

System.out.println("======\n\n");

// we can lift the plain edge (i.e., it becomes a weighted edge) and get its weight:
int testWeight = g2.liftDecorate(g1.newEdge(" plain Edge B")).getWeight();

System.out.println("======\n\n");

// again lifting, but printing the edge results in a NullPointerException
// (i.e., the instance variables 'from' and 'to' are NullPointers!)
g2.liftDecorate(g1.newEdge(" plain Edge B")).print();

}

}

/**
* OUTPUT:
Graph.REdge() constructor

Plain Edge with nodes:
node-from -- name: plain Edge A
node-to -- name: plain Edge A
======

WeightedGraph.REdge() -- custom lifting constructor
======

WeightedGraph.REdge() -- custom lifting constructor
WeightedEdge with nodes:
Plain Edge with nodes:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at WeightedGraph$__OT__REdge.print(WeightedGraph.java:35)
at WeightedGraph$__OT__REdge.print(WeightedGraph.java:22)
at Main.main(Main.java:25)
*/
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1007882 is a reply to message #1007183] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Hi Stephan,

sorry for the delay, here are some answers:

Quote:
a) Why does this exception happen?

The core to understanding your program is in this method call:
g2.liftDecorate(g1.newEdge(" plain Edge B"))

the inner call (newEdge) causes two objects to be created:
(a) a role instance of Graph.REdge
(b) a base instanceof Edge (via the base() constructor call inside REdge's ctor)

Of these, the role instance (a) is the passed into the call to liftDecorate, but here double magic happens:
- This method requires an Edge instance. When seeing a Graph.REdge instead the compiler has to insert a lowering conversion, so actually the base instance (b) is passed into liftDecorate
- upon entering this method the base instance (b) is then lifted to a fresh role of type WeightedGraph.REdge, let's call this role (c).

As a result we have two independent roles (a) and (c) both connected to the same base (b):
(a)  (c)
   \ /
   (b)

When it comes to executing Graph.REdge.print() (via the tsuper call in WeightedGraph.REdge.print()), we find that role (c) has no 'to' and 'from' nodes associated. Both fields are null, hence the NPE.

Looking about I can see that these fields are properly initialized in role (a). I.e., we have one role that has the 'to'/'from' information and another role holding the 'weight' information. However, neither role can "see" the other role, they only share the common base (b).

The mismatch in your code is in the tsuper call: you are trying to delegate to the part that owns the 'to'/'from' information, but your calling this code on the role (c) which doesn't have that information.

Quote:
b) Is there an alternative approach in object teams to solve the problem?

Let's focus on the capability to dynamically add 'weight' information to edges in an existing graph.

Your design actually does this already. To avoid the confusion underlying the NPE I'd suggest to remove the inheritance relation between Graph and WeightedGraph (once that is done, you'll no longer be tempted to make that bogus tsuper call).

At this point we'll see that the connection is solely defined by the runtime graph of roles and bases.

The only thing we have to fix now: how can a method invocation of role (c) trigger any behaviour sitting in role (a)?
I see two general schemes how this could be solved:

(A) change the structure so that WeightedGraph.REdge is not a role of Edge but of Graph.REdge. Then role (c) can invoke methods of role (a) via callout method binding.

(B) leave the structure as it is but work with a chain of callout-then-callin, which matches the lower-than-lift scheme explained above.

Approach (A) re-arranges the formerly independent roles into a chain. To make this possible you may refer to the Layering section in the OTJLD: http://www.objectteams.org/def/1.3/s2.html#s2.7.c

When expanding approach (B) as a general design, you may run into infinite recursion, if all roles intercept (via callin, which requires team activation) calls to the base object and also invoke the same base method as to let other roles jump in. If needed, temporarily deactivating a team will cut this infinite recursion.

Finally, an approach (C) might be to explicitly invoke slices of the behaviour by calling explicitly which team you want to be involved. This approach would apply the Team Component pattern (http://wiki.eclipse.org/OTPattern/TeamComponent). Instead of calling print() on a role you would call "print(Edge as REdge e)" on a particular team instance (or several of them).

OK, the design space is starting to get large Smile

I'll let you choose which general direction you want to follow. Fell free to ask detailed questions on that way.

cheers,
Stephan

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1007883 is a reply to message #1007882] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS: Reconsidering your inheritance between WeightedGraph and Graph you seem to be expressing a dependence between these two features.
This is an indication that the team layering approach (A) is closest to your intentions.
Either way, it should help to think of callout and callin bindings for wiring the interactions between the different slices of behaviour.
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1008122 is a reply to message #1007883] Sun, 10 February 2013 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Stephan,

thank you for you reply, it helped me a lot.

I am perusing approach (A), the team layering approach.

Yesterday I tried to code the example "(c) Layering" in section §2.7 Advanced structures and I got the code working.

However, I think I would need more advanced structures.
So today, I tried to implement the two advanced examples in section "(d) Implicit playedBy specialization" in §2.7 Advanced structures.

I am interested in the second example:
Consider the case where a nested T1 as a role of TOuter is stacked on a base team TB1. Also, T1 is a layered team over TB1 because its role R adapts role TB1.B. In this situation the playedBy relation of role TOuter.T1.R is given by a base-anchored type B<@T1.base>. If furthermore TOuter.T1 is subclassed to TOuter.T2 which covariantly refines the inherited playedBy declaration to TB2, then TOuter.T2.R will automatically refine the inherited playedBy relation to TB2.B to follow the new interpretation of the base anchor. 

Could you please write me the code for this example?

It's because as soon as I extend a team in a more complicate setting, I get various error messages, some perhaps refer to the generated code.

Like:
No enclosing instance of the type ... is accessible in scope

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError: Duplicate method name&signature in class file Outer$__OT__SecondarySub$__OT__Role1

I would really need the second advance example, so I can fix the graph product line code (GPL) on Monday.

Also, I can give you the GPL code and perhaps a second SPL example, as soon as I am finished with the SPL examples.

All the best,
Stephan

Stephan Herrmann wrote on Thu, 07 February 2013 17:29
PS: Reconsidering your inheritance between WeightedGraph and Graph you seem to be expressing a dependence between these two features.
This is an indication that the team layering approach (A) is closest to your intentions.
Either way, it should help to think of callout and callin bindings for wiring the interactions between the different slices of behaviour.

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1008131 is a reply to message #1008122] Sun, 10 February 2013 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Mayer wrote on Sun, 10 February 2013 04:15

I am interested in the second example:
Consider the case where a nested T1 as a role of TOuter is stacked on a base team TB1. Also, T1 is a layered team over TB1 because its role R adapts role TB1.B. In this situation the playedBy relation of role TOuter.T1.R is given by a base-anchored type B<@T1.base>. If furthermore TOuter.T1 is subclassed to TOuter.T2 which covariantly refines the inherited playedBy declaration to TB2, then TOuter.T2.R will automatically refine the inherited playedBy relation to TB2.B to follow the new interpretation of the base anchor. 

Could you please write me the code for this example?

That's quite straight-forward using the diagram:

package tb;
public team class TB1 {
	public class B { }	
}

package tb;
public team class TB2 extends TB1 {
	@Override
	public class B { }
}

package to;

import base tb.TB1;
import base tb.TB2;

public team class TOuter {
	public team class T1 playedBy TB1 {
		protected class R playedBy B<@base> { }
	}
	public team class T2 extends T1  playedBy TB2 {
	}
}

Compiles fine for me.
Well, I should admit that the <@base> thingy is advanced stuff indeed. Maybe, in the end we can find a simpler solution for your task, but for your experiments, yes it should work and seems to work for me.

Quote:

I did see this once while constructing the example. I'll investigate what's going wrong here.

HTH,
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1008139 is a reply to message #1008122] Sun, 10 February 2013 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Mayer wrote on Sun, 10 February 2013 04:15

While this doesn't happen in the actual code for OTJLD 2.7.d I could reproduce and fix, see https://bugs.eclipse.org/400404

I you want to update the tool to get this fix, please use use Eclipse SDK 4.3 M5 and OTDT from this update site:

http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo

Quote:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError: Duplicate method name&signature in class file Outer$__OT__SecondarySub$__OT__Role1

I didn't see this. If you see it again please file a bug (with your example, if possible), thanks.

Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1008146 is a reply to message #1008131] Mon, 11 February 2013 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thank you very much for your quick reply.

I slightly modified the example in order to use the Roles (ie., R in T1 and T2).
For T1.R I can create a role object, but this doesn't work for T2.R.

package to;

import base tb.TB1;
import base tb.TB2;

/* added method */
		public void test() {
			new R(new B<@base>()); // works!
		}
	}
		/* added method */
		public void test() {
			new R(new B<@base>());  // error!
		}
	}
}

The error message is:
The constructor TOuter.T2.R(B<tthis[TB2]> is undefined.

(I am running 'Eclipse SDK 4.3M5' with the '/objectteams/updates/ot2.2milestones' OT repository.)

What is my error? How can I create an object of the role 'TOuter.T2.R'?

I am trying to extend the example with 'test()' and 'print()' methods, similar to the code example that is listed in this bug report:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=330002

thanks again for your help.
Stephan

PS: I am posting here a longer except of my code:

package to;

import base tb.TB1;
import base tb.TB2;

public T1() {
			base();
		}

protected class R playedBy B<@base> {
			public void print() {
				System.out.println("TOuter.T1.R.print()");
			}

}
		public void test() {
			R r = new R(new B<@base>());
			r.print();
		}

}

public void test() {
		new T1().test();
	}

public T2() {
			base();
		}

protected class R playedBy B<@base> { 

}
		public void test() {
			// fails with error:
			//     'The constructor TOuter.T2.R(B<tthis[TB2]> is undefined.'
			R r = new R(new B<@base>());
		}

}

System.out.println("start...");
		new TOuter().test();
	}
}

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1008838 is a reply to message #1008139] Thu, 14 February 2013 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann wrote on Sun, 10 February 2013 16:04
Steve
[quote title=Quote:

I didn't see this. If you see it again please file a bug (with your example, if possible), thanks.

Unfortunately, I did not read your last post on Sunday (from 16:00 ) when I wrote my last posting. I probably looked at a cached version of the forum page, without reloading the site, when I wrote the answer. So, please mind that! It must have appeared quite strange to you.

I am not sure if the error ('Duplicate method name&signature in class file...') is a bug in OT. It could be related to bug 400404 or another problem.
Because I don't yet fully understand, in OT, the concept of final instances and how 'base anchors' work in complex examples, so I maybe I am using OT in a semantically incorrect way. And I did not care about error messages in my code because of the bug 400404.

I tried to install OT from the staging repository as you said, but I got a download error:

My input in "Work with ('type or select a site')":
[h]ttp://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo

This is the message of the pop-up:
An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=SDKProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Multiple problems occurred while downloading.
Artifact not found: http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar.pack.gz.
http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar.pack.gz
Artifact not found: http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar.
http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar

Here is a link to the full error message:
[h]ttps://gist.github.com/stgit/36b9d28811e7ab758725

As soon as I manage to install the stageing version or the git version, I can file a bug report, if the error message still comes up.

I also looked at the git-repository. My attempts to build the compiler failed, but this is probably due the fact that I don't know anything about build tools for java. (personally I often use haskell; I understand and quite like the build tools as well as the package management functionality). I briefly looked on the website for information regarding the git repo.

I clone this git repo, hope that's the right one:
[h]ttp://git.eclipse.org/c/objectteams/org.eclipse.objectteams.git

Are there any instructions (including detailed prerequisites) on how to build OT from the git repository, or how to run the test suite? For me, building only the command line compiler would be enough.

A side note: Perhaps it would make sense to also mention the java version you are using to you develop object teams or a reference version for object teams. Maybe also, whether you use Win/Mac/Linux. This could rule out problems related to different java versions. I am using linux with "oracle java 6u37", but some windows users might use "oracle java 7u9", so this could theoretically lead to problems (that I would like to rule out). For instance, eclipse milestone m5 (kepler) does crash in certain situations.
Just in case you are interested about the error message (I could file a bug report too):
[h]ttps://gist.github.com/anonymous/34b22f70836d42c05163

In the meantime, I further tried to get my small example, from my last posting, working. But, no matter what, I still get:

Thanks for any pointers.

I did already link to object teams in a posting on 'stackoverflow.com', simply because I think more people should know and be interested in object teams.

cheers,
Stephan

ps: I can't post links because of 'You can only use links to eclipse.org sites while you have fewer than 5 messages.'
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1009221 is a reply to message #1008838] Thu, 14 February 2013 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I almost got the git version of OT to compile. First I did not notice that the sub folder in eclipse contain project files.
Currently I have imported the root folder in eclipse and selected all sub projects.

I started with a fresh version of eclipse M5 (kepler).

Some dependencies are probably still missing:
Require-Bundle: org.apache.bcel;bundle-version="[5.2.0,5.3.0)"
org.eclipse.test.performance;bundle-version="[3.1.0,4.0.0)",
org.eclipse.m2e.core;bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)",
 org.eclipse.m2e.jdt;bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)",
 org.eclipse.m2e.lifecyclemapping.defaults;bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)",
 org.eclipse.m2e.maven.runtime;bundle-version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)",
 org.eclipse.jdt.debug.tests,
 org.eclipse.jdt.core.tests.builder,

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1009229 is a reply to message #1008146] Thu, 14 February 2013 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On answering one item at a time:

Steve Mayer wrote on Mon, 11 February 2013 01:41
I slightly modified the example in order to use the Roles (ie., R in T1 and T2).

package to;

import base tb.TB1;
import base tb.TB2;

/* added method */
		public void test() {
		}
	}
		/* added method */
		public void test() {
		}
	}
}

The error message is:

If filed a bug for this which also contains a good workaround:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=400833

best,
Stephan

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1009233 is a reply to message #1008838] Thu, 14 February 2013 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Mayer wrote on Thu, 14 February 2013 01:07

I tried to install OT from the staging repository as you said, but I got a download error:

My input in "Work with ('type or select a site')":
[h]ttp://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo

This is the message of the pop-up:
An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=SDKProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Artifact not found: http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar.pack.gz.
http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar.pack.gz
Artifact not found: http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar.
http://build.eclipse.org/tools/objectteams/stagingRepo/plugins/org.apache.bcel_5.2.0.v201005080400.jar

This might happen if you install *only* from that site, perhaps without a prior install of OTDT. This problem *should* disappear if you additionally enable the milestone repository http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/ot2.2milestones

For this to take effect enable
[x] Contact all update sites during install to find required software

Background: bcel is a dependency of OTDT, which is missing in the staging repo, but can be found in the milestone repo.

HTH,
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1009249 is a reply to message #1009233] Thu, 14 February 2013 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding building from git I scribbled a few hints into http://wiki.eclipse.org/OTDevelopmentSetup

Please let me know any problems with those steps.
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1012310 is a reply to message #1009229] Thu, 21 February 2013 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bug mentioned below has been fixed and a snapshot build is available
at http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/unstable

cheers,
Stephan

Stephan Herrmann wrote on Thu, 14 February 2013 19:00
On answering one item at a time:

Steve Mayer wrote on Mon, 11 February 2013 01:41

package to;

import base tb.TB1;
import base tb.TB2;

/* added method */
		public void test() {
		}
	}
		/* added method */
		public void test() {
		}
	}
}

The error message is:

If filed a bug for this which also contains a good workaround:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=400833

best,
Stephan

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1019798 is a reply to message #1012310] Sat, 16 March 2013 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Stephan,

thank you for you last answers, they helped me to work further. I had to take a brief break from my work with Object Teams, but I just started the last 1-2 weeks to look again at the product line examples.

From now on I am using the unstable version of Object Teams ('eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/unstable' - I hope this is still the current unstable version).

I will split my text in three postings.

First, I am interested in the dynamic lifting capabilities, as I think the dynamic capabilites of object teams are one of the main advantages of using OT.

For the graph example (graph product line), I would like to use BasicGraphs and WeightedGraphs. But I subsequently would like to 'lift' existing BasicGraph instances to WeightedGraph instances.

public team class Features {

public team class BasicGraph playedBy BGraph { }

public team class WeightedGraph extends BasicGraph { }

protected BasicGraph liftBasicGraph (BGraph as BasicGraph g) { return g;}

protected WeightedGraph liftWeightedGraph (BGraph as WeightedGraph g) {return g;}

Here are my methods to create a new Graphs:
protected BasicGraph newBasicGraph() {
    BasicGraph g = new BasicGraph (new BGraph());
    return g;
}         
// the above version would work, however leads to a warning and an exception at run time,
// when I lift a BasicGraph instance to a WeightedGraph instance.
// i.e., warning :  Dangerous instantitation. To avoid a WrongRoleException at runtime ...

// alternative version:
protected BasicGraph newBasicGraphWorking() {
           BasicGraph g = new WeightedGraph(new BGraph());
           return g;
   }
// this is the suggested version of the tool tip, however here an BasicGraph is esentially a WeightedGraph and lifiting is besides the point.

Note that I cannot define a constructor for BGraph (possible bug?).

public team class BasicGraph playedBy BGraph {

/* ERROR:  I cannot define a constructor for BGraph
        * this leads to 'The constructor Outer.BGraph() is undefined', which is wrong,
        * as I have defined just that constructor.
       public BasicGraph() {
           base();
       }
       */

The full code is posted at the end of this posting.

Would you have any tips on how I can implement 'liftable' graphs?

(I post the full code at the end of this posting.)

Stephan

Full code:
package features;

public team class Outer {

// empty classes that get refined
	public class BGraph { 
		public BGraph() {

}
	}
	public class BNode { }
	public class BEdge { }

public void test() {

final Features f = new Features();

/*  VERSION 1 */

BasicGraph<@f> g = f.newBasicGraphWorking(); 

WeightedGraph<@f> g2 = f.liftWeightedGraph(g);

g.print();
		g2.print();

/* However, 'Wrong' result printed: */
		 // I am a weighted graph ...

/* VERSION 2 (EXCEPTION) */

BasicGraph<@f> g3 = f.newBasicGraphException(); 
        g3.print();
		WeightedGraph<@f> g4 = f.liftWeightedGraph(g3);

/*
		 * The compiler has warned you about ambiguous role bindings.
           Now lifting to class features.Outer$__OT__Features$__OT__WeightedGraph fails with the following objects
           (see OT/J language definition para. 2.3.4(d)) */
	}

/*  new methods  */

protected BasicGraph newBasicGraphException() { 
			/* warning :
			 Dangerous instantitation. To avoid a WrongRoleException at runtime role 
			 WeightedGraph should be used instead (OTJLD 2.4.3). 
			 */
			return g;
		}

return g;
		}

/* lifting methods */

protected WeightedGraph liftWeightedGraph (BGraph as WeightedGraph g) {return g;} 

/* ERROR:  I cannot define a constructor for BGraph
		 * as I have define just that constructor.
		public BasicGraph() {
			base();
		}
		*/

public void print() {
			System.out.println("I am a basic graph ...");
		}

public Node newNode(String s) { 
			Node n = new Node(new BNode());
			return n; 
	    }

public class Node playedBy BNode {  }		
	}

public team class WeightedGraph extends BasicGraph {

@Override
		public void print() {
			System.out.println("I am a weighted graph ...");
		}

}
	}

new Outer().test();
	}

}
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1019909 is a reply to message #1019798] Sun, 17 March 2013 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(okay, so only 2 parts or postings)

I adapted the code of Bug 400833.

As the graphic section 2.3.3 (d) suggest, roles can inherit a 'playedBy' relation of their respective super role.

So in the below example, T2 should simply inherit the 'playedBy' relation with TB1.

But this leads to a NullPointerException:

public team class TOuter2 {

}

/* this version works: 
	 * public team class T2 extends T1  playedBy TB2 {
	 */

// NullPointerException:
	public team class T2 extends T1 {  /* inherited: playedBy TB1 */
		@Override
		protected class R {  

}  

}
}

As I think this is perhaps a bug, I filed a bug report.

I am interested if this is a bug and looking forward to hear from you.

Have a nice weekend
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1027948 is a reply to message #1019909] Wed, 27 March 2013 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Stephan,

just a short question:

is it possible to look at the generated java code in Object Teams?

I.e., I can access the generated class files, such as "Features$__OT__WeightedGraph.class", but I would like to look at the java code, which is compiled to those "OT class files".
In case another problem turns up, I can look at the java code. If there is an easy way in eclipse to to do that I must have missed it, as I look in almost all the menus.

In case someone is interested, there is an update in the bug report from my last message that states that the problem is now fixed.

regards from Vienna,
Stephan

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1030004 is a reply to message #1027948] Sat, 30 March 2013 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fix for bug 403396 has been released with 2.2 M6, available from http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/ot2.2milestones.

Let me know if any problems remain regarding your original example.

As to looking at generated code: the byte code is all that ever gets generated.
OT/J is not translated into pure Java.
The funny class names (like "Features$__OT__WeightedGraph.class") are needed to work around the absence of multiple inheritance in Java.
To emulate role inheritance (implicit & explicit) we have to split each role into an interface (using the original class name) and an implementation class (prefixed with "__OT__").

Besides: all approaches that first generate pure Java before creating byte code tend to struggle fiercely with hiding the generated Java files in the IDE. With compilation directly to byte code this problem doesn't occur, which is a good thing for a consistent user experience in the IDE, I think Smile

Should you face further problems with translation (the examples you are experimenting with are quite complex from a compiler p.o.v) please don't hesitate to file further bugs, I'll try to address them in a timely manner.

cheers,
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1057730 is a reply to message #1030004] Wed, 08 May 2013 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi-Tech ITO is currently offline Hi-Tech ITOFriend
Thank you for your recent response helped me to work. I have to take a break from my work with teams of subjects, but I just started in the last 1-2 weeks to see new examples of product lines.

From now on, I use the version command unstable objects ('eclipse.org / objectteams / Update / unstable "- I hope this is still the current stable version).

I will divide my text into three editions.

First of all, I am interested in basic dynamic load rating, I believe that the dynamic capabilities of the equipment items are one of the main advantages of using OT.

For example, graphics (graphics product line), I would like to use and BasicGraphs WeightedGraphs. But then it would be a "bump" of existing case WeightedGraph BasicGraph case.

public team class BasicGraph playedBy BGraph { }

public team class WeightedGraph extends BasicGraph { }

Here are my methods to create a new Graphs:
Code: [Select all] [Show/ hide]

protected BasicGraph newBasicGraph() {
return g;
}
// the above version would work, however leads to a warning and an exception at run time,
// when I lift a BasicGraph instance to a WeightedGraph instance.
// i.e., warning : Dangerous instantitation. To avoid a WrongRoleException at runtime ...

// alternative version:
return g;
}
// this is the suggested version of the tool tip, however here an BasicGraph is esentially a WeightedGraph and lifiting is besides the point.

Note that I cannot define a constructor for BGraph (possible bug?).

/* ERROR: I cannot define a constructor for BGraph
* as I have defined just that constructor.
public BasicGraph() {
base();
}
*/

The full code is posted at the end of this posting.

Would you have any tips on how I can implement 'liftable' graphs?

(I post the full code at the end of this posting.)

Stephan

Full code:

package features;

public team class Outer {

// empty classes that get refined
public class BGraph {
public BGraph() {

}
}
public class BNode { }
public class BEdge { }

public void test() {

final Features f = new Features();

/* VERSION 1 */

BasicGraph<@f> g = f.newBasicGraphWorking();

WeightedGraph<@f> g2 = f.liftWeightedGraph(g);

g.print();
g2.print();

/* However, 'Wrong' result printed: */

/* VERSION 2 (EXCEPTION) */

BasicGraph<@f> g3 = f.newBasicGraphException();
g3.print();
WeightedGraph<@f> g4 = f.liftWeightedGraph(g3);

/*
* The compiler has warned you about ambiguous role bindings.
Now lifting to class features.Outer$__OT__Features$__OT__WeightedGraph fails with the following objects
(see OT/J language definition para. 2.3.4(d)) */
}

/* new methods */

protected BasicGraph newBasicGraphException() {
/* warning :
Dangerous instantitation. To avoid a WrongRoleException at runtime role
WeightedGraph should be used instead (OTJLD 2.4.3).
*/
return g;
}

return g;
}

/* lifting methods */

/* ERROR: I cannot define a constructor for BGraph
* as I have define just that constructor.
public BasicGraph() {
base();
}
*/

public void print() {
System.out.println("I am a basic graph ...");
}

public Node newNode(String s) {
Node n = new Node(new BNode());
return n;
}

public class Node playedBy BNode { }
}

public team class WeightedGraph extends BasicGraph {

@Override
public void print() {
System.out.println("I am a weighted graph ...");
}

}
}

new Outer().test();
}

}
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1057806 is a reply to message #1057730] Wed, 08 May 2013 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Unfortunately, a full answer will have to wait a few days, but regarding latest OTDT versions I might let you know that the brand-new milestone 7 is already available from http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/ot2.2milestones

I'll get back to you later.

cheers,
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1060536 is a reply to message #1057730] Sun, 26 May 2013 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was busy getting some last fixes into the Kepler release. A fix for "your" error regarding 'The constructor Outer.BGraph() is undefined' is among those [1]. It's currently in the staging area from where Kepler RC2 will be aggregated:
http://download.eclipse.org/objectteams/updates/ot2.2-staging

With this fix you no longer need to write "new BasicGraph (new BGraph())" but this should suffice: "new BasicGraph ()".

However, I couldn't fully understand your design with respect to lifting, it seems you are using lifting as something that it is not meant to be.

To set the background for all those issues of "dangerous instantiation" and "wrong role". it is important to know that
- lifting is designed as an implicit conversion, that can be inserted by the compiler mainly in callin and callout method bindings to lift base type parameters (return for callout) to expected role types.
- lifting always picks the best applicable role type based on three pieces of information: the base type, the team instance and the minimal required role type
- once created, each role is stored in an internal cache of the team, so that lifting the same base object again can re-use the existing role instance. Role caches are shared for each hierarchy of role types.

From this you should understand the business of WrongRoleException: lifting a BGraph to anything less-or-equal BasicGraph will find the role WeightedGraph to be the most specify applicable role. If, however, explicit role creation of a BasicGraph forced an instance of this exact type, any attempt to lift the same BGraph to a WeightedGraph will fail, because a BasicGraph will already be found in the corresponding cache, which is the "wrong role" for this request.

It is not possible to add two different role instances to the same base instance if the different role types are within the same role type hierarchy and if roles are bound to the same base class.

Some options how to resolve the problem in your example:
- remove class BasicGraph, if BGraph is the undecorated graph already, I don't see why you would want to lift BGraph to BasicGraph just to add *nothing*, or
- make BasicGraph and WeightedGraph independent roles, i.e., remove the inheritance relation (they could still have a common super type *without* a playedBy binding). That way each BGraph can have both roles independently, or
- avoid role instantiation via lifting, always explicitly create roles of either type. When after instantiation lifting is used, only require BasicGraph, such that whatever role is found in the cache is good enough.

These are quite technical discussions. Which approach is suitable depends of course on the exact requirements, which I don't know. I'm wonder if perhaps you are forcing things into an inheritance hierarchy, because other PL approaches do so, where a role based approach doesn't require this inheritance at all.

To contrast your design with the simplest thing that could possibly work, consider this:
public class Node { }
public class Edge { Node start, end; }
public team class Weight {
	protected class WeightedEdge playedBy Edge {
		public int weight;
	}
	public void setWeight(Edge as WeightedEdge edge, int weight) {
		edge.weight = weight;
	}
	public int getWeight(Edge as WeightedEdge edge) {
		return edge.weight;
	}
}

This already adds the dynamic capability to add weights to any edge.
If weights should be respected in any graph operations, this could be achieved by callin bindings to the corresponding graph methods. In these callin bindings, Edge instances would be lifted to WeightedEdge and computations based on weights can be performed.

I'm perhaps oversimplifying things, but if you go for a more involved design, it's of course good to known, why exactly Smile
I hope the GPL example is sufficiently specified so you know your requirements. But perhaps those requirements can only be discovered once you implement a set of actual applications rather than a library for graphs with not specific usage scenarii - just wondering.

HTH
Stephan

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/409075 - [compiler] base constructor call fails to resolve to role of an outer enclosing team
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1062280 is a reply to message #1060536] Thu, 06 June 2013 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Today I read in the Object Teams Specification and I was thinking about lifting versus lowering.

It is written that "Lifting is the reverse translation of lowering."
However, there are small details that are different. Lifting can create new role objects, but lowering can never delete role objects.
For lifting, I can define a special purpose "lifting constructor", but for lowering there is no pendant.

Was there a special reson for this?

Also my quick look didn't reveal a method to remove role objects.

Just my thoughs of today.

Best,
Stephan A.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 June 2013 23:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1062478 is a reply to message #1062280] Fri, 07 June 2013 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Mayer wrote on Fri, 07 June 2013 01:44
Today I read in the Object Teams Specification and I was thinking about lifting versus lowering.

However, there are small details that are different.

True, both operations cannot be 100% symmetric because the underlying playedBy relation is asymmetric to begin with.

Quote:
Lifting can create new role objects, but lowering can never delete role objects.

Role creation is necessary for lifting (unless an existing role can be re-used), but deleting a role is not necessary, it actually works against re-using cached role instances (which would mean roles can't keep state between operations).

Quote:
For lifting, I can define a special purpose "lifting constructor", but for lowering there is no pendant.

This is just a consequence of the above. An operation that is invoked by the infrastructure (role creation) can be intercepted by implementing a role constructor, the absence of an operation during lowering doesn't provide a good hook Smile

Quote:
Was there a special reson for this?

Let me step back one, and speak about the underlying motivation:
When working a lot with callin bindings, the on-demand creation of role instances provides the illusion that all base instances are actually adapted by a corresponding role instance -- even if none exists at a given point in time, it will be created early enough to perform its adaptation.
Think of lifting as "materializing" a virtual object.

Quote:

Also my quick look didn't reveal a method to remove role objects.

the ITeam.unregisterRole methods[1] do most of this. The rest is garbage collection (provided you don't hold a reference to the role). In fact, neither role nor base are referenced from client code, they will be garbage collected (although internally we hold some (weak) references).

Is this clearer now?
Stephan

[1] http://www.objectteams.org/def/1.3.1/s6.html#s6.1
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1066471 is a reply to message #1062478] Tue, 02 July 2013 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thank you for your answer, it is clear now.

Today I was trying to get JML (The Java Modeling Language) [1][2][3] to work with Object Teams. JML is used in previous literature on software product lines [5]. My first idea on getting JML to work was to use it on the byte code level with OpenJIR[4]. However, the OpenJIR project is no longer actively developed since Feb. 2010 (it uses eclipse ver. 3.6).

Object Teams generates byte code directly. Would it be possible to decompile the generated byte code/class files and then use JML? A hackish workaround would be sufficient for my experiments. I know this would be hard and limited (funny class names because of lack of multiple inheritance), but I only need one method where I would like to use a contract specified in JML.

Do you have an idea if it is possible to get JML and Object Teams working together? What would be your estimate on how much work is involved?

All the best
Stephan

[1] http://www.eecs.ucf.edu/~leavens/JML//index.shtml

[2] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/jmlspecs/

[3] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/jmlspecs/wiki/OpenJmlSetup

[4] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/jmlspecs/wiki/OpenJir

[5] Thüm, Thomas, et al. "Family-based deductive verification of software product lines." Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering. ACM, 2012.
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1066894 is a reply to message #1066471] Fri, 05 July 2013 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have realized that idea to decompile the object teams byte-code is not a good approach.
Currently, I work on combining JML and object teams directly on the byte-code level. The annotations are still present in the byte code that is generated by object teams. I would need to search for the specific annotations, process them with JML and add the result back to the generated byte-code from object teams.

I would be curious if you have ever done anything with JML and object teams before?

best regards
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1067201 is a reply to message #1066894] Sun, 07 July 2013 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a new idea about integrating JML(java modeling langauge) with Object Teams(OT). One approach is to only work with the bytecode that object teams generates (i.e., my last post). Another way is to modify Object Teams and/or the JDTCore so that bytecode gets generated for the contracts.

(Contract refers to design by contract as is used by JML. I just need very basic pre- and post-conditions as well as basic invariants. I am not interested in static checking, I am only interested in runtime checks that the contracts are honored.)

Modifying Object Teams might not be so difficult. I just need a custom Java annotation for my source code that represents my contract. Then I need to modify how Object Teams generates bytecode. I just need one point where I can process a method's Java annotation (my custom Java annotation that represents the contract) and generate the needed guard expressions. The guard expression represent the runtime check of the contract. The contract is specified in the Java annotations and with the content of the annotation, a Java library is called (e.g., OpenJML) that generates the Java code (or bytecode) that implements the check of the contract.

Please let me know if I need to clarify something.
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1067214 is a reply to message #1067201] Sun, 07 July 2013 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Steve,

sorry for the delay, I just returned from ECOOP Smile

The last time I looked at JML implementations the JMLEclipse project seemed to be most advanced, and it was most closely related to OT/J implementationwise:
both have at their core a fork of org.eclipse.jdt.core. And that's the crux of the matter: we cannot easily integrate two forks of the same root.

Actually two relevant projects exist: JMLEclise and JML4c, but both seem to be out-dated. I just fetched a diff from JmlEclipse to see if merging this into the OT/J fork might be feasible. But looking at a diff file of more than 4MB this is not s.t. you do on a lazy weekend.

I think how easy it is to integrate JML into any compiler depends on how much of JML you want to support.
Just think of stuff like \old or \result that needs to be closely integrated with the Java side.
Do you need the full power of JML or would a small subset actually suffice?

I should mention that I'd consider an integration of OT/J with JML as an awesome extension, just I believe this would be a major project, actually.

best,
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1067215 is a reply to message #1067214] Sun, 07 July 2013 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stephan,

just a tiny update:

Stephan Herrmann wrote on Sun, 07 July 2013 13:56

Do you need the full power of JML or would a small subset actually suffice?

The latter, a small subset of JML would be more than enough.
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1084192 is a reply to message #1067215] Sun, 11 August 2013 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Compilation the command line fails

I want to compile a small example from the command line. When I use Eclipse, it works fine. But if I compile the same example from the command line, I get an error.

java -jar otre/ecotj-R-2.2.0-201306071800.jar -cp otre/org.eclipse.objectteams.runtime_2.2.0.201305210612.jar Example.java

The error message is:

----------
1. ERROR in /home/stephan/arbeit/paper_sac/code/Example.java (at line 7)
    public team class Colored {
                      ^^^^^^
Name clash: The method restoreRole(Class<?>, Object) of type Example.Colored has the same erasure as restoreRole(Class, Object) of type Team but does not override it
----------
1 problem (1 error)

The example works fine in eclipse! Why do I get the error?

I use the same java version in eclipse and from the command line:
java -version
java version 1.7.0_40
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.1) (ArchLinux build 7.u40_2.4.1-1-x86_64)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.0-b50, mixed mode)

thank you for any suggestions!
Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1084193 is a reply to message #1067215] Sun, 11 August 2013 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I want to compile a small example from the command line. When I use Eclipse, it works fine. But if I compile the same example from the command line, I get an error.

java -jar otre/ecotj-R-2.2.0-201306071800.jar -cp otre/org.eclipse.objectteams.runtime_2.2.0.201305210612.jar Example.java

The error message is:

----------
                      ^^^^^^
Name clash: The method restoreRole(Class<?>, Object) of type Example.Colored has the same erasure as restoreRole(Class, Object) of type Team but does not override it
----------
1 problem (1 error)

java -version
java version "1.7.0_40"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.1) (ArchLinux build 7.u40_2.4.1-1-x86_64)

Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1084194 is a reply to message #1067215] Sun, 11 August 2013 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The error message is:

^
1 problem (1 error)

java -version
java version "1.7.0_40"

Stephan
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1697725 is a reply to message #1084194] Sun, 07 June 2015 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aadhar card is currently offline aadhar cardFriend
However, there are small details that are different. Lifting can create new role objects, but lowering can never delete role objects.
Re: Lifting and Roles - Graph Product Line example [message #1697885 is a reply to message #1697725] Tue, 09 June 2015 10:59 Go to previous message
aadhar card wrote on Sun, 07 June 2015 13:26

You are right, the quoted statement generalizes the situation, disregarding details.

For the general intuition, you could even imagine that each base object has a virtual (immaterial) role (within each team instance), which is materialized upon first access. With this intuition, both lifting and lowering are only navigations from one instance to another.

Quote:

Right, as soon as a custom lifting constructor is defined, there's the possibility that lifting can cause side effects. There's no denying this fact, while OTOH one may still argue that constructors should never cause side effects outside the object being created.

Thinking about a possible inverse of a lifting constructor, we may ask two questions: (a) can base creation be triggered by lowering and (b) can object destruction cause side effects.

For (a) the obvious answer is "no", because a role cannot exist without its base.
For (b) roles behave like any object in Java: since Java has no explicit destructor calls, forgetting an instance is nothing more then deleting the last incoming reference. Roles are well integrated with the Java garbage collector (see http://www.objectteams.org/def/1.3.1/s2.html#s2.1.f ).

As another difference, lifting can fail for several reasons, whereas lowering always succeeds.

Summarizing: yes there is an inherent asymmetry between roles and bases and hence also between lifting and lowering. But looking just at the navigation, the following formula holds (disregarding exceptions):
   lower(lift(b)) = b

Do you agree?
Stephan
Previous Topic:Help Disassembler Pic 32
Next Topic:transient roles as a design option for performance?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 16:56:31 GMT 2024