Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Drag and drop from windows explorer don't create linked file but copy into workbench(Even choosen drag and drop options in prefs they don't change anything)
Drag and drop from windows explorer don't create linked file but copy into workbench [message #1007019] Mon, 04 February 2013 04:06 Go to next message
Bernard TREMBLAY is currently offline Bernard TREMBLAYFriend

Hi,

On most of my projects I use a local server with SVN working copies.
So I create many (not all) external linked resources and commit from these working copies (I don't work on a main repository but on working copies). There is probably a best way to do this job but I had no time to look at. There so many things to know and manage (one year but only one hundred hours on Eclipse).

When I use the menu option :create file there is no problem (choose advanced, link... OK)

But when I have to populate a long project tree it is very long.

The drag and drop in preferences:General:workspace:linked:resources contain options for linked resources. I choose generally "link", sometimes for others jobs "prompt".

I remember to have well functioned with indigo. With juno I never been able to activate ever link or prompt.

The drag and drop creates always only a file copy into current workspace.
I don't know what happens.

Note: I remember to have used with indigo the path replacements to access quickly to links into very profond groups of files on server.

Note2: I have added a subject in bugs : when we want to change the file link with properties it is impossible on a Lan. The first '/' in '//<server>/<filepath>' is cut off and then replaced by c:\ ... So, when a directory has been renamed for example I have to rebuild all links file by file. This while using change link into properties would allow to replace easily the path. Another much more quicker way is to change the path variable and everything seems to become OK in one click (not yet tested).

I do probably make an error somewhere but I don't know, I spent a lot of time without finding (back) the solution.

Thanks for help.

Trebly

Trebly

[Updated on: Wed, 06 February 2013 02:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Drag and drop from windows explorer don't create linked file but copy into workbench [message #1008106 is a reply to message #1007019] Sat, 09 February 2013 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,

I found things today :

- the help context is for most of editors the shortcut "Ctrl+Space"

The problem was/is that this shortcut is not documented when you search "editor shortcut", there are tables with the various groups of shortcut for editor but not "Ctrl+Space"...

It seems that the doc is crossed referenced by functions, because of the Eclipse standards and development principles there is not and there will not be a documentation about "css editor" alone. It is clear and perfectly acceptable.

Nevertheless I search documents with more detailed informations, summary and structures to access existing documentations on editors, this to access the information more easily and be able to read and learn systematically most of informations on "subjects". I do not found it till now.

May be the search motor could be more advanced because "css editor" is a concept (a semantic group), and the motor, as all of them, searches text which contains "css" and "editor"...

You get then not ten references but six hundred...

Best regards

Trebly

Trebly
Re: Drag and drop from windows explorer don't create linked file but copy into workbench [message #1037311 is a reply to message #1008106] Tue, 09 April 2013 12:04 Go to previous message

Hi,

I found a partial solution and the basic Eclipse functions problem that are behind.

The linked files have (don't seem : checked repeatedly) several functional problem :

• Don't holds the drag and drop to Eclipse project structure from Windows explorer (not checked others) for files with address on a network
  • Unable to move from one to another folder a linked file (re-organize folders if they contain files linked (but can be created anywhere)
  • Unable to change or validate an external location in properties
  • Unable to import project with linked file on a network if all the item are not accessible when import is performed. The link are simply cleared and you will discover when you will find an empty folder when you try to pen it

Solution if you share files on a network :

• Create a logical disk for each main node on network and use uniquely this mean

With this you get back :

• When imported projects : keep the link even disk is not accessible (when import is performed)
  • Drag and drop (with link dialog if enabled)
  • Change link or validate function using properties panel

But no solution for :

• Refactor::move, or drag and drop elsewhere than the project-root, from where they cannot be moved

I hope that in a new version we will get capabilities to manage the linked files.

About the need :

• I am working often on parts of great open applications for which I have SVN working copies on a server
  • The working copies are used directly for test from web as any other web application
  • Modifications can be performed by others means than Eclipse
  • All files that can be edited are not SVN managed
  • Files of same project comes from several sources : various SVN working copies, various GIT, independent files on network, Eclipse workspace(s)

Best regards

Trebly

Trebly
Previous Topic:Help with Runnable Jar
Next Topic:How to move those search results over there ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:12:55 GMT 2024