Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Inconvenient wiring diagrams in the admin console.
Inconvenient wiring diagrams in the admin console. [message #1006629] Fri, 01 February 2013 09:24 Go to next message
Anton Lem is currently offline Anton LemFriend
Hi, everybody!
I attached an example of a part of a real WAB diagram with 168 dependency bundles (wiring1.gif). As you can see, it is absolutely illegible. But, if you will move a circle with the imports quantity under a bundle rectangle it will be more readable.
However, the current rendering method of the wiring diagrams has a number of disadvantages. It's very beautiful, stylish, but absolutely uncomfortable in the real use. The workspace is used ineffectively, the horizontal scrollbar is unhandy and quantity of valuable information fitted on the visible area is not enough. All this graphical beauty contains very little sensible information and can be replaced by a two list of dependency: imported and importing bundles with arrow icons to mark (uni|bi)direction relations.
I attached an original wiring diagram of some bundle wiring2.jpg
And my visual solution of wiring rendering of same bundle wiring3.jpg
It contains identical capacity of sensitive information, but is more compact and readable and expandable vertically. Furthermore, it deliver from the popup windows of the importing description and will be rendered faster.
On the other hand, If you will improve the render and it will visualize in the browser window a whole (or almost) graph with several levels of dependencies onto the full screen and with the radial\hierarchical nodes arrangement it will be perfect and very useful! But.. it seems to me there is not a need to overload the admin application by advanced development features. This is a purpose of Virgo Tools.
  • Attachment: wiring1.gif
    (Size: 24.20KB, Downloaded 227 times)
  • Attachment: wiring2.jpg
    (Size: 173.67KB, Downloaded 214 times)
  • Attachment: wiring3.jpg
    (Size: 160.43KB, Downloaded 186 times)
Re: Inconvenient wiring diagrams in the admin console. [message #1007985 is a reply to message #1006629] Fri, 08 February 2013 14:29 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Thanks for raising this. We certainly want complex wiring diagrams to be usable. We considered adding an "escalator" feature for this (if an escalator stops moving, at least you can use it as stairs) but didn't have enough time. Please raise an enhancement request so we have this requirement captured.
Previous Topic:Investigating OSGi and Virgo
Next Topic:Using plans with Virgo tooling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:11:01 GMT 2024