Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Multiple sessions in RAP(How to support multiple sessions in RAP)
Multiple sessions in RAP [message #1006180] Wed, 30 January 2013 11:26 Go to next message
John Gymer is currently offline John GymerFriend
Hi all,

I know this is a topic that has been talked about much previously, but I wondered if anything had changed in recent months that meant that multiple sessions for RAP applications can now run in different tabs of the browser?

"The server session timed out. Please click here to restart the session" is the error I'm getting in the 1st tab as soon as I open the 2nd tab and start my app there too.

Ok, expected, according to other threads that I've read, but they are all back in 2009/2010.

I have also read about disabling cookies in Jetty and Tomcat to overcome this, but it may not be Jetty or Tomcat being used - the choice of appserver will be down to our users, and could well be anything - WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss etc. and the appserver might well be used for other applications and purposes which mean that this setting cannot be applied.

Is there something more generic that can be used, perhaps programmatically in my RAP application code rather than relying on appserver configuration, and something that will work across all appservers?

Just to be clear, I do NOT want to share session information between tabs - these need to be entirely independent sessions - the same as if they were in different browsers, or on different devices.

... or am I stuck in restricting the use of tabs in my application?

Thanks, John

---
Just because you can doesn't mean you should
Re: Multiple sessions in RAP [message #1006307 is a reply to message #1006180] Wed, 30 January 2013 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Sternberg is currently offline Ralf SternbergFriend

Hi John,

There aren't any changes in the area, but multi-tab support is on our
list for RAP 2.1.

> Just to be clear, I do NOT want to share session information between
> tabs - these need to be entirely independent sessions - the same as if
> they were in different browsers, or on different devices.

You won't get different HttpSessions for different tabs unless you
disable cookies because browsers have a shared cookie store. But if you
keep login information in the UISession, it should become possible in
2.1 to let different tabs appear as separate sessions.

Regards, Ralf

--
Ralf Sternberg

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: Multiple sessions in RAP [message #1006408 is a reply to message #1006307] Thu, 31 January 2013 09:33 Go to previous message
John Gymer is currently offline John GymerFriend
Thanks Ralf, that's what I guessed, and we can live with that for the time-being. Nice to know it is on a plan though!
Thanks, John

---
Just because you can doesn't mean you should
Previous Topic:MouseEvents by Scale, Slider not fired in RAP?!
Next Topic:Event Handling in RAP 2.0 RC1 for existing Widgets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:51:32 GMT 2024