Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Plugins won't update
Plugins won't update [message #1005911] Tue, 29 January 2013 09:49 Go to next message
Reinhard Nägele is currently offline Reinhard NägeleFriend
I am testing Hudson 3 before we finally upgrade. I installed the bundle war plus a number of plugins. After this, the following plugins were reported to have updates:

Static Analysis Utilities
This plug-in provides utilities for the static code analysis plug-ins.
1.48-h-1 1.47-h-1 (Installed)

Groovy Support Plugin
3.0.3 3.0.2 (Installed)

Hudson SSH Slaves plugin
Plugin allows you to manage slaves running on *nix machines over SSH.
3.0.2 3.0.0 (Installed)

Hudson Subversion Plug-in
This plugin provides support to use Subversion as an SCM in a Hudson job
2.3.6-h-1 2.3.6 (Installed)

I wonder why the latest version had not been installed initially. Also, upgrading does not work. I looks like Hudson downloads the latest versions but after a restart the same plugin updates are reported again. I can't find the latest versions on the file system either.

Re: Plugins won't update [message #1006009 is a reply to message #1005911] Tue, 29 January 2013 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Christou is currently offline Steve ChristouFriend

Doing a upgrade from hudson 2.2.1 to hudson 3 will not install the latest version of the plugin. We do not force an install of the latest plugin because some older plugins still work with with hudson 3. We leave the upgrading choice up to the user on whether to upgrade or not.

/**
 * @author Steven Christou
 * @dev    Hudson-ci
 */
Re: Plugins won't update [message #1006052 is a reply to message #1006009] Tue, 29 January 2013 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Winston Prakash is currently offline Winston PrakashFriend
Steven, Reinhard is using the Hudson 3.0.0 bundled war from java.net, not the war with out any plugin from Eclipse. The bundled war has the several plugins pre-bundled.

Reinhard, I will check the Plugin Central (http://hudson-ci.org/PluginCentral3/), and see if any of the plugins are updated.

When the plugins are bundled they take precedence over new updates, unless they are pinned as explained here http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Pinned+Plugins.

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Plugins won't update [message #1006089 is a reply to message #1005911] Tue, 29 January 2013 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It appears, between the release of Bundled war and now, these new version are released. But in order to upgrade you have to pin the plugins as explained here

http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Pinned+Plugins.

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Plugins won't update [message #1006099 is a reply to message #1006089] Tue, 29 January 2013 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Foster is currently offline Bob FosterFriend
That link doesn't work for me.
Re: Plugins won't update [message #1006138 is a reply to message #1006089] Wed, 30 January 2013 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhard Nägele is currently offline Reinhard NägeleFriend
So, do I get this right:

• Bundled plugins cannot be updated automatically because they will be overwritten by the bundled version unless I manually update and then pin the new version.
  • After manually updating and pinning a new version, automatic update won't work either because the plugin is pinned.

I find this feature somewhat questionable. Also, it looks like Hudson does update these plugins. You'll only find out later that the update failed wondering why.

I guess I'll have to switch to the standard version that does not bundle plugins then. This behavior just does not make sense to me. Is it possible to easily switch to the standard version by exchanging the war file?
Re: Plugins won't update [message #1006277 is a reply to message #1006138] Wed, 30 January 2013 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your understanding is not quite right

- Bundled plugins can not be updated via update center until you create a dummy file called plugin.hpi.pinned. Once pinned, that plugin can be updated only to new versions in the update center.

- However, when you get a new version of bundled war and it has bundled new version of the plugin, then Hudson will not automatically update to that new version, until you unpin the plugin.

Basically, you get new versions from update center by pinning the plugin or get new versions from next version of bundled war by unpinning the plugin.

Yes, you can switch to the standard version, just by switching the war. This will bring up a one time initial setup screen which helps to update any plugin that needs update.

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team

[Updated on: Wed, 30 January 2013 16:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Plugins won't update [message #1006280 is a reply to message #1005911] Wed, 30 January 2013 16:46 Go to previous message
Your understanding is not quite right

- Bundled plugins can not be updated via update center until you create a dummy file called plugin.hpi.pinned. Once pinned, that plugin can be updated only to new versions in the update center.

- However, when you get a new version of bundled war and it has bundled new version of the plugin, then Hudson will not automatically update to that new version, until you unpin the plugin.

Basically, you get new versions from update center by pinning the plugin or get new versions from next version of bundled war by unpinning the plugin.

Yes, you can switch to the standard version, just by switching the war. This will bring up a one time initial setup screen which helps to update any plugin that needs update.

Winston Prakash
Eclipse Hudson team
Previous Topic:Hudson 3.0.0 memory issue fix
Next Topic:Hudson + TestNG + Selenium/Java
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:38:34 GMT 2024