Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Showing properties of e4 view selection in 3.x Properties view
Showing properties of e4 view selection in 3.x Properties view [message #1005497] Fri, 25 January 2013 17:07 Go to next message
Rui Domingues is currently offline Rui DominguesFriend
Hi. I'm developing a RCP with some e4 views and some 3.x. Once I'm using 3.x properties view i'd like that when a select some item in my e4 views, the properties of that element show up in properties view.

How can I manage this?

Should I implement a view 4.x of my own to show propertes of all my RCP objects, including editor's objects, etc, or can I keep hybrid approach? In this case how can I do this? I started with this article: http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Properties-View/properties-view.html and I also looked at the usual extension points:
org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.tabbed.propertyContributor
org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.tabbed.propertySections

At this point I've already propagated via Eselectionservice whenever view selection changes.:
IStructuredSelection selection = (IStructuredSelection) event.getSelection();
				selectionService.setSelection(selection.size()==1? selection.getFirstElement() : selection.toArray());

Can someone advise me?

Thanks
Rui
Re: Showing properties of e4 view selection in 3.x Properties view [message #1006422 is a reply to message #1005497] Thu, 31 January 2013 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rui Domingues is currently offline Rui DominguesFriend
anyone?
Re: Showing properties of e4 view selection in 3.x Properties view [message #1065370 is a reply to message #1005497] Tue, 25 June 2013 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maarten meijer is currently offline maarten meijerFriend
Goog question but no answer. I'm looking for that as well.
Re: Showing properties of e4 view selection in 3.x Properties view [message #1066656 is a reply to message #1005497] Wed, 03 July 2013 15:15 Go to previous message
Fredrik Attebrant is currently offline Fredrik AttebrantFriend

The problem here is that the Properties view works with the 3.x based selection service, thus when you provide 4.x selection, the Properties view will not detect it.

Long term (4.4/Luna?), this should be fixed by the platform, see bug403930 and also Platform UI/Plan/4.4

I did some trials in creating a properties view which could handle both 3.x and 4.x selections.
The problem was that 4x-parts doesn't need to subclass IWorkbenchPart so I had to do some ugly tricks to fool the 3x property code into working. It is doable but the only long term solution is to get this properly supported by the platform itself. Guess focus for Juno and Kepler has been to get everything working as with 3.x, with good performance etc.
Previous Topic:FileDialog broken in Kepler ?
Next Topic:TrimBar not visible in compatbility mode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:57:00 GMT 2024