Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Exporting/Deploying an Eclipse Application Plugin
Exporting/Deploying an Eclipse Application Plugin [message #1005254] Thu, 24 January 2013 18:15 Go to next message
birt user is currently offline birt userFriend
I have been working on an eclipse based application. When I right-click on my code and choose 'Run as eclipse application', my code executes successfully. However, I'm trying to figure out how to share my eclipse application with other users. I'm trying to use the following process:

1. I right-click on my project and choose 'Export'.
2. I choose to export my code as a jar file.
3. I leave the default settings (to export the src and META-INF and to include 'Export generated class files and resources')
4. The export finishes successfully with no warnings/errors.
5. I insert the output jar into the plugins folder of a fresh eclipse install.

When I startup the eclipse install with my jar in its plugin directory, my plugin does not appear.

Is there a different process that I should use for deploying an eclipse based application? Is one of my steps incorrect?

Thanks.
Re: Exporting/Deploying an Eclipse Application Plugin [message #1005298 is a reply to message #1005254] Thu, 24 January 2013 19:55 Go to previous message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
Plug-ins must be in a different format to run as part of an Eclipse runtime. When you 'Run as an Eclipse Application' PDE is doing work in the background to allow your plug-ins to run.

There are many ways of building your plug-ins (PDE Build, Tycho, etc). For your case, the UI export functions PDE provides should be sufficient.

File > Export > Plug-in Development > Deployable plug-ins and fragments

That export wizard will create and run a PDE build script and export your plug-ins in a format that can be put into the drop-ins folder.
Previous Topic:Property sheet focus issue
Next Topic:Auto refresh
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:50:58 GMT 2024