Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse
no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1001278] Wed, 16 January 2013 11:38 Go to next message
Angelo Citro is currently offline Angelo CitroFriend
Hello,
I have a problem: I can not connect to the CVS repository of Eclipse.
I use anonymous access from Eclipse :pserver:anonymous@dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/eclipse
but the server is not responding.
The message is: /cvsroot/eclipse: no such repository.
I read the setting for CVS from http://wiki.eclipse.org/CVS_Howto#Anonymous_CVS.

Thanks.
Angelo Citro
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1001324 is a reply to message #1001278] Wed, 16 January 2013 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Angelo,

CVS has been retired at Eclipse, in favour for Git. Please see the Git documentation at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1001363 is a reply to message #1001324] Wed, 16 January 2013 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Angelo Citro is currently offline Angelo CitroFriend
Hello Denis Roy

Thanks for the information.
I use a plugin that only works with CVS repository. Where can I find cvs repository?
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1001366 is a reply to message #1001363] Wed, 16 January 2013 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Nowhere. We use Git. Sorry.

Denis Roy
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1688388 is a reply to message #1001366] Fri, 20 March 2015 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andy Irving is currently offline Andy IrvingFriend
Do you think it would be possible to remove the tutorial from the welcome page so nobody else has to go through this scenario?
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1688394 is a reply to message #1688388] Fri, 20 March 2015 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Do you mean there's a CVS tutorial on the welcome page of Eclipse? Which version of Eclipse are you using, and can you attach a screenshot so I can ping the right people?

Denis Roy
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1688460 is a reply to message #1688394] Fri, 20 March 2015 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Denis,
I just noticed that the page at https://wiki.eclipse.org/CVS_Howto now redirects to the Git wiki page, but the URL isn't changed when this redirection happens. Is this some "feature" of the wiki or the way the auto redirect has been implemented?
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1689493 is a reply to message #1688460] Mon, 23 March 2015 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I think that's how MediaWiki does its redirects.

Denis Roy
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1694628 is a reply to message #1001324] Wed, 06 May 2015 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Montague is currently offline Paul MontagueFriend
Hi! You say "has been retired"; I presume this means Eclipse as an organization no longer formally supports CVS. However - does it mean that Indigo or Juno don't even WORK with CVS as used to be the case? I'm asking because I'm trying to restart a project we had to set aside in late 2013. It was using Eclipse and Subversion at that time, although early in 2013, we had shown we could also set up a CVS repository and have code go to/from it to Eclipse. Today, though, I'm trying to create a new CVS repository via Indigo, and am getting errors ("cannot connect" and "repository not found" kind of things). (We DO still have CVS servers set up and the path to them has not changed. So I don't have any reason to think it's a local-server issue; but am willing to be educated on that if it's indicated. Smile Cool )
Since the direction to use CVS came from management, I need to be able to explain this outcome to them.....

Thanks in advance for any further clarification on this!

Regards,
Paul

[Updated on: Wed, 06 May 2015 18:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1694731 is a reply to message #1694628] Thu, 07 May 2015 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
What Denis meant is that projects hosted and managed by eclipse.org no longer use CVS for their repositories. The CVS client that you can get in some versions of Eclipse IDE packages has not changed; if you have it in your version of Eclipse it will still function as it always has.
If you're having a specific problem using the CVS client in Eclipse, I suggest you create a new topic/thread to discuss, or enter a bug report if you feel it's a reproducible scenario that anyone could encounter.
Re: no connetct CVS repository /cvsroot/eclipse [message #1694741 is a reply to message #1694731] Thu, 07 May 2015 13:29 Go to previous message
Paul Montague is currently offline Paul MontagueFriend
Thanks! Just opened a new topic for it.

Regards,
Paul
Previous Topic:Crosswalk Plugin for Eclipse
Next Topic:Eclipse Luna & OSGi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:04:10 GMT 2024