Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » How to debug a plug-in project?
How to debug a plug-in project? [message #1001177] Wed, 16 January 2013 07:48 Go to next message
Tamas Csabina is currently offline Tamas CsabinaFriend
Hello,

How can I debug a plug-in project that I am developing?
I can instantiate a new Eclipse workspace by right click on the plug-in project and select Debug As->Eclipse Application. But this is not giving me enough `debug` features.

For example I want to debug (line-by-line) when I press a button in this newly instantiated Eclipse workspace.

The plug-in I am developing is a toolChain plugin, like the MinGW toolChain. I have some problems and I want to troubleshoot. For this I want to execute/debug a button press, for example. How can I do this?
Re: How to debug a plug-in project? [message #1001356 is a reply to message #1001177] Wed, 16 January 2013 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Set a breakpoint in the code that handles the button press and step through it. All of the Java debugging features are available to you when debugging an plugin application. After all, a plugin application is simply a Java application.
Re: How to debug a plug-in project? [message #1001756 is a reply to message #1001356] Thu, 17 January 2013 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tamas Csabina is currently offline Tamas CsabinaFriend
Sorry for the dumb question, but how can I find out which source contains the code that is executed?
I am testing a toolchain plugin, so I would like to see what is happening when I press `Build All` button to build a sample project with my toolchain.

Shall I search in the eclipse source on `Build All` or `Build Project`?
Is the eclipse functions/features are grouped in packages, so I should search for the project-build-package?
Or shall I search for the Project menu, and its sub menus?

Sorry, but I have know idea how to start this.

Re: How to debug a plug-in project? [message #1001921 is a reply to message #1001756] Thu, 17 January 2013 15:01 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You probably need to study a little of plugin programming for Eclipse. That will give you the basics of how menu items get connected to actual code. You can check out some of the tutorials by Lars Vogel at http://www.vogella.com/articles/EclipsePlugIn/article.html. You can also install the Plugin Development Environment and look at the help from Eclipse.
Previous Topic:How to get Resource from Handler?
Next Topic:How to format a <tool>`s <option>`s tip text?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:52:22 GMT 2024