Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » P2 Update in E4 RCP Application
P2 Update in E4 RCP Application [message #1000346] Mon, 14 January 2013 15:09 Go to next message
Christoph Keimel is currently offline Christoph KeimelFriend
Hello

I am trying to implement a P2 Update in an E4 RCP application. I've been reading the documentation in http://help.eclipse.org/juno/index.jsp and this tutorial
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Adding_Self-Update_to_an_RCP_Application but I am unable to get it working.

I have succeded in initializing the repositories, but the UpdateOperation still fails with a NPE because the UpdateOperation can not create the ProvisioningJob. The problem, as it seems to me, is that there is no IProfile in the IProfileRegistry.

Also, profileRegistry.getProfile(IProfileRegistry.SELF) returns NULL.

I have been unable to find documentation on how to initialize the SELF profile.

Any help or pointer is very welcome.

Greetings
Christoph

Re: P2 Update in E4 RCP Application [message #1000749 is a reply to message #1000346] Tue, 15 January 2013 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
How are you building your app? The p2 profile is created when provisioning the application.

Brian.
Re: P2 Update in E4 RCP Application [message #1000751 is a reply to message #1000749] Tue, 15 January 2013 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Brian

I am using PDE to build the application with a product definition (Eclipse Product export wizard).

Greetings
Christoph
Re: P2 Update in E4 RCP Application [message #1000797 is a reply to message #1000751] Tue, 15 January 2013 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Have you enabled the "Generate metadata repository" option? I'm don't remember if the PDE Export Product Wizard produces an updateable product but this option ensures that it will produce a p2 repository containing the product from which you can materialize an update able product using the "p2 director".

I highly recommend that you look to setting up a headless build, such as Tycho or Buckminister.

Brian.
Re: P2 Update in E4 RCP Application [message #1000806 is a reply to message #1000797] Tue, 15 January 2013 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 01/15/2013 01:53 PM, Brian de Alwis wrote:
> Have you enabled the "Generate metadata repository" option? I'm don't
> remember if the PDE Export Product Wizard produces an updateable product
> but this option ensures that it will produce a p2 repository containing
> the product from which you can materialize an update able product using
> the "p2 director".
>
> I highly recommend that you look to setting up a headless build, such as
> Tycho or Buckminister.

With this respect, I recently published a tutorial for building RCP
Applications (with update functionalities) with Buckminster (in the IDE
and headless):

http://www.lorenzobettini.it/2013/01/building-an-eclipse-rcp-product-with-buckminster/

hope this helps
cheers
Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DI, Univ. Torino
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it

Re: P2 Update in E4 RCP Application [message #1002442 is a reply to message #1000806] Fri, 18 January 2013 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Brain, @Lorenzo: Thank you very much for the help!

I set up a build with buckminster following lorenzos blog and I now have a p2 profile in my exportet rcp application.

Now I can continue with the miore complicated features, I need to implement-
Does anyone have an idea on how to get p2 to work when debugging from the IDE?

Greetings
Christoph
Re: P2 Update in E4 RCP Application [message #1002507 is a reply to message #1002442] Fri, 18 January 2013 18:22 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Christoph -- there's a setting under the '"Configuration" tab (from memory) called "Support software installation" that will spoof up a p2 profile. But for real debugging you'll need to run your app standalone and attach using the remote debugging facilities.

Brian.
Previous Topic:create category for site?
Next Topic:Configure a p2 update repository programmatically [RESOLVED]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:26:59 GMT 2024