Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Relative time period & crostab filters
Relative time period & crostab filters [message #999486] Sat, 12 January 2013 08:18 Go to next message
Paul STOFFAES is currently offline Paul STOFFAESFriend
The purpose of my post is to propose an enhancement regarding BIRT, to ensure that this is enhancement is really necessary and if it has not already been identified for the next BIRT release.

This proposal comes from a difficulty i faced while i was building a report.
What i wanted to do in my report : display monthly the number of tickets resolved during last 12 months - Example: for 08/2012 to display the total number of demands resolved from 09/2011 to 08/2012.

To do so i used relative time period aggregation, and it worked perfectly....but...

I want to display 12 months in my crosstab, but to calculate my relative time period aggregation i need 24 months data ( example: if i want to display the period from 09/2012 to 10/2011 in my crosstab: to calculate the number of resolved demands during the last 12 months for the month of 10/2011, i will need data from 11/2011 to 10/2010)- See screen shot attached for better understanding of the obtained result.

Usually to limit the number of months in a crosstab, i use the filter property of my crosstab. As i need 24 months, i extended the filtered period to 24 months...but as a consequence, 24 months are displayed in my table...i found some ways to hide the columns (using scripts or highlights and the property display:none), but :
- display:none is not working into internet explorer
- my report needs to be exported properly in PDF and with this "workaround" the result is not good(see screen shot).

Sorry for this quite long explanation, hope this is clear enough - To partially solve my issue i obtained some workaround on Birt-Exchange (i cannot put the link because of my number of posts on this forum)

Those workarounds are quite complexe to put in place and are, from my point of view, not satisfying.

My "Enhancement" proposal: to create a "display filter" in addition to the already existing filter (filtering inputs data) of the crosstab. This "Display filter" could let the birt user have, for example, 2 years data into his crosstab, but only display 1 year data. From my point of view, this functionality became mandatory as soon as the Relative Time Period functionality was integrated into the crosstab object.

What do you think ? What is the procedure, can i create a demand into BUGZILLA ?

Thx in advance,
Re: Relative time period & crostab filters [message #1000929 is a reply to message #999486] Tue, 15 January 2013 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

I may have been the one to help you work around the issue, on BIRT Exchange. At least I seem to remember this issue. Yes, please log an enhancement request in the bugzilla. Also, post the enhancement info back in here, so others can vote for it. Post it back to the BIRT Exchange thread, as well.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Relative time period & crostab filters [message #1003698 is a reply to message #1000929] Mon, 21 January 2013 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul STOFFAES is currently offline Paul STOFFAESFriend
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your anwer, yes you helped me on Birt-Exchange...thank you once again !

i created the bugzilla demand there : https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=398560

Regards,
Re: Relative time period & crostab filters [message #1003983 is a reply to message #999486] Tue, 22 January 2013 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino doninoFriend
Hi ,

May be it would help to give a link to the discussion on birt-exchange, but i think this feature already exists, more or less. In your crosstable filter, you must uncheck 'Recalculate Totals', and this should act exactly as your requirement:
- only filtered months are displayed,
- Measures based on relative time period are calculated before the filter is applied, therefore they are correct.
Re: Relative time period & crostab filters [message #1004707 is a reply to message #1003983] Wed, 23 January 2013 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

My mistake. I keep forgetting about the addition of this option. Thanks donino donino!

Michael

Re: Relative time period & crostab filters [message #1220557 is a reply to message #999486] Thu, 12 December 2013 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sunil Antony is currently offline Sunil AntonyFriend
Hi Michael,

I am not able to see various option in time period in time period . when dragged time period from palett
Attaching scren shot.. Pls help me

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Sunil
Re: Relative time period & crostab filters [message #1220827 is a reply to message #1220557] Fri, 13 December 2013 22:07 Go to previous message

Can you attach the design? Was it made with the sample database so I have access to the data?

Michael

Previous Topic:Property Binding - Replace Variable -> Stackoverflow Error
Next Topic:setOutputStream closes the stream after processing.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:45:49 GMT 2024