Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » copy Cygwin Toolchain (copy Cygwin Toolchain)
copy Cygwin Toolchain [message #999237] Fri, 11 January 2013 16:01 Go to next message
Taz Mainiac is currently offline Taz MainiacFriend
Hi,

I have an ancient (2.95) GCC version (cross-compiler) running under Cygwin that I would like to use from Eclipse/CDT (3.7.2/Indigo). It's installed in a different location, with it's own Cygwin DLL's and shell and other utils (vs the default C:/Cygwin).

Is there a straightforward way to simply copy the existing Cygwin toolchain definition and modify the paths to point to this other toolchain? I'm going through the Managed Build System Extensibility Document now, but I'm thinking it's way overkill... Ideally, I'd be able to just have it show up as another toolchain in existing projects, like the Cygwin, MinGW and Visual Studio toolchains do now.

Thanks,
Taz
Re: copy Cygwin Toolchain [message #1000856 is a reply to message #999237] Tue, 15 January 2013 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tamas Csabina is currently offline Tamas CsabinaFriend
Hi,

If I am not mistake, you can modify the application to be executed in the toolchain. Go to the project`s properties-> c/c++ settings.
Or at least you can do this (overwrite the executable) with the MinGW GCC toolchain.

About copying:
I am trying to create a custom toolchain for a similar thing (different compiler and linker to use) since last November. Still haven`t been able to figure out how to do it. So I would say forget about the copy, and just overwrite the Command property for every tool.

Edit:
See these topics:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/446558/
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/tree/438777/
And a cdt-dev mailing list thread:
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-dev/msg25198.html

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 15:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: copy Cygwin Toolchain [message #1000946 is a reply to message #1000856] Tue, 15 January 2013 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taz Mainiac is currently offline Taz MainiacFriend
Thanks for the response - I'd found that about 5 minutes before your post :-/.

Now my only problem is the ancient GCC (2.95) I'm using doesn't support the -MP/-MF/-MT flags CDT is using. It's sort of creating some kind of .d from those, but in the wrong directory, so I need to figure out if I can use that.

Thanks for the links.

Taz
Re: copy Cygwin Toolchain [message #1001163 is a reply to message #1000946] Wed, 16 January 2013 07:13 Go to previous message
Tamas Csabina is currently offline Tamas CsabinaFriend
Hi,

I am not quite sure what are these switches used for, but we also using some tricks:
We use MinGW toolchain, but with a different compiler and linker. This compiler and linker also not dealing with the default options and switches, so we deselected or disabled all options for the compiler (GCC C Compiler) and for the linker (MinGW Linker) and use only the Other flag and Linker flag properties to define the switches that our compiler and linker is using.

We also defined Pre-build steps and Post-build steps under Project Properties->C/C+ Build->Settings->Build Steps.
In the pre-build phase (it is a bat file actually) we `prepare` our source in a way that the compiler can use them.
In the post-build (also a bat file) we `pack` the compiled and linked project in a way that our target hardware understands.

With these we let Eclipse handle the compile and link, and all other steps (pre- and post) are done with bat files.

Hope this helps.
Previous Topic:Function can't be resolved error
Next Topic:make error with -l library flag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:26:19 GMT 2024