Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Calling PlatformUI.getWorkbench().close() throws Exception (NullPointer?)
icon5.gif  Calling PlatformUI.getWorkbench().close() throws Exception (NullPointer?) [message #997768] Tue, 08 January 2013 17:47 Go to next message
Kivanc Muslu is currently offline Kivanc MusluFriend
Hi all,

In my IApplication, I am trying to set-up an invisible workbench (e.g., just initialize the workbench and immediately close so that ui libraries that does not need to be executed by the UI thread can be used later on --- in other words, ui plug-ins are pre-loaded), with the following code:

public class SolsticeClientApplication implements IApplication
{
    @Override
    // Suppressed due to missing library annotation.
    public Object start(@SuppressWarnings("null") IApplicationContext context) throws Exception
    {
        int okStatus = IApplication.EXIT_OK;

// It turns out that we have to create the display and the workbench on the main thread of
        // the headless application. It makes sense for the display as the main thread needs to
        // become the UI thread, however for the workbench, if we create an run it in another
        // thread, it just fails without any warning at all.
        final Display display = PlatformUI.createDisplay();
        int retCode = PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(display, new HeadlessAdvisor());

// Signal that the workbench is created.

// TODO According to above comment, we are blocking the UI thread until the application
        // is over. Is that alright?
        // I guess this is fine as we are not really using the UI thread in the client
        // application. In any case we should not be invoking any code that uses the UI thread.
        // Rather, we are only using data structures and methods that are in ui packages due to the
        // way they are created, but have nothing to do with the UI thread.
        synchronized (SolsticeClient.getInstance())
        {
            SolsticeClient.getInstance().wait();
        }
        return okStatus;
    }

@Override
    public void stop()
    {}
}

where HeadlessAdvisor is implemented as:

public class HeadlessAdvisor extends WorkbenchAdvisor
{
    public HeadlessAdvisor()
    {}

@Override
    public @Nullable
    String getInitialWindowPerspectiveId()
    {
        return null;
    }

// It turns out that we have to override this method, as it normally does a lot of work in the
    // actual implementation (WorkbenchAdsivor). It would create a full-fledged workbench and then
    // return some boolean representing whether the workbench creation was successful or not.
    // However, in our case, returning 'true' just represents that for our purposes the workbench
    // creation was successful, and we don't create anything.
    @Override
    public boolean openWindows()
    {
        return true;
    }

@Override
    public void postStartup()
    {
        super.postStartup();
        // close(..) is the call that actually closes the workbench.
        try
        {
            // The following method throws an exception (NullPointer?) in the internal Eclipse code:
            // Workbench:1121 ((IpresentationEngine) engine.stop();) For all our purposes, this
            // exception seems completely harmless as long as it is caught (the workbench still gets
            // closed). I think that this is due to the fact that we are not actually using any
            // workbench elements rather just trying to load the related plug-ins (for later
            // access).
            PlatformUI.getWorkbench().close();
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
            // Log the exception.
        }
    }

@Override
    public void postShutdown()
    {
        // This method is called by close(..)
        super.postShutdown();
    }
}

When I execute this IApplication, I get the following exception (as also explained in the code as comments above):

null
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.busyClose(Workbench.java:1121)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$16(Workbench.java:1001)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$17.run(Workbench.java:1182)
	at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.close(Workbench.java:1180)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.close(Workbench.java:1153)
	at com.kivancmuslu.www.solstice.client.HeadlessAdvisor.postStartup(HeadlessAdvisor.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2548)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$7(Workbench.java:2431)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:586)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:543)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
	at com.kivancmuslu.www.solstice.client.SolsticeClientApplication.start(SolsticeClientApplication.java:85)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:32)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)

First of all, let me tell you that the code seems to work just fine: the workbench is created momentarily and closes immediately afterwards. The UI libraries are loaded and can be used later in the program. However, getting an internal exception from an Eclipse call is still not very assuring Smile

Any idea why this happens and how I can fix it? It looks like engine.stop() is one of the latest codes in busyClose(..) (which is called by close(..)). Would catching the exception and handling it (as I am doing right now) work without any problems? Any insight on the problem is highly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more information about the program, code, etc. My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post, please feel free to move the post to the related forum. Thanks in advance.

Kindest regards,

[Updated on: Tue, 08 January 2013 17:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Calling PlatformUI.getWorkbench().close() throws Exception (NullPointer?) [message #1104747 is a reply to message #997768] Sun, 08 September 2013 22:46 Go to previous message
wenxu zhang is currently offline wenxu zhangFriend
I have the same problem. May anyone help?
I tried to override the method
public void eventLoopException(Throwable exception)
in HeadLessAdvisor and call PlatformUI.getWorkbench().close(); again, the workbench is closed.
	@Override
	public void eventLoopException(Throwable exception) {
		SysOutProgressMonitor.out.println("eventLoopExcepiton: " + exception.getLocalizedMessage());
		exception.printStackTrace(SysOutProgressMonitor.out);
		super.eventLoopException(exception);
	}

However, an annoying message dialog is displayed as following:

An error has occurred. See the log file "....¥.metadata¥.log".

I have no idea on how to close the workbench cleanly.

Any advices are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Kivanc Muslu wrote on Tue, 08 January 2013 12:47
Hi all,

In my IApplication, I am trying to set-up an invisible workbench (e.g., just initialize the workbench and immediately close so that ui libraries that does not need to be executed by the UI thread can be used later on --- in other words, ui plug-ins are pre-loaded), with the following code:

public class SolsticeClientApplication implements IApplication
{
    @Override
    // Suppressed due to missing library annotation.
    public Object start(@SuppressWarnings("null") IApplicationContext context) throws Exception
    {
        int okStatus = IApplication.EXIT_OK;

// It turns out that we have to create the display and the workbench on the main thread of
        // the headless application. It makes sense for the display as the main thread needs to
        // become the UI thread, however for the workbench, if we create an run it in another
        // thread, it just fails without any warning at all.
        final Display display = PlatformUI.createDisplay();
        int retCode = PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(display, new HeadlessAdvisor());

// Signal that the workbench is created.

// TODO According to above comment, we are blocking the UI thread until the application
        // is over. Is that alright?
        // I guess this is fine as we are not really using the UI thread in the client
        // application. In any case we should not be invoking any code that uses the UI thread.
        // Rather, we are only using data structures and methods that are in ui packages due to the
        // way they are created, but have nothing to do with the UI thread.
        synchronized (SolsticeClient.getInstance())
        {
            SolsticeClient.getInstance().wait();
        }
        return okStatus;
    }

@Override
    public void stop()
    {}
}

where HeadlessAdvisor is implemented as:

public class HeadlessAdvisor extends WorkbenchAdvisor
{
    public HeadlessAdvisor()
    {}

@Override
    public @Nullable
    String getInitialWindowPerspectiveId()
    {
        return null;
    }

// It turns out that we have to override this method, as it normally does a lot of work in the
    // actual implementation (WorkbenchAdsivor). It would create a full-fledged workbench and then
    // return some boolean representing whether the workbench creation was successful or not.
    // However, in our case, returning 'true' just represents that for our purposes the workbench
    // creation was successful, and we don't create anything.
    @Override
    public boolean openWindows()
    {
        return true;
    }

@Override
    public void postStartup()
    {
        super.postStartup();
        // close(..) is the call that actually closes the workbench.
        try
        {
            // The following method throws an exception (NullPointer?) in the internal Eclipse code:
            // Workbench:1121 ((IpresentationEngine) engine.stop();) For all our purposes, this
            // exception seems completely harmless as long as it is caught (the workbench still gets
            // closed). I think that this is due to the fact that we are not actually using any
            // workbench elements rather just trying to load the related plug-ins (for later
            // access).
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
            // Log the exception.
        }
    }

@Override
    public void postShutdown()
    {
        // This method is called by close(..)
        super.postShutdown();
    }
}

When I execute this IApplication, I get the following exception (as also explained in the code as comments above):

null
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.busyClose(Workbench.java:1121)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$16(Workbench.java:1001)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$17.run(Workbench.java:1182)
	at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.close(Workbench.java:1180)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.close(Workbench.java:1153)
	at com.kivancmuslu.www.solstice.client.HeadlessAdvisor.postStartup(HeadlessAdvisor.java:44)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2548)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$7(Workbench.java:2431)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:586)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:543)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
	at com.kivancmuslu.www.solstice.client.SolsticeClientApplication.start(SolsticeClientApplication.java:85)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:32)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)

First of all, let me tell you that the code seems to work just fine: the workbench is created momentarily and closes immediately afterwards. The UI libraries are loaded and can be used later in the program. However, getting an internal exception from an Eclipse call is still not very assuring Smile

Any idea why this happens and how I can fix it? It looks like engine.stop() is one of the latest codes in busyClose(..) (which is called by close(..)). Would catching the exception and handling it (as I am doing right now) work without any problems? Any insight on the problem is highly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more information about the program, code, etc. My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post, please feel free to move the post to the related forum. Thanks in advance.

Kindest regards,

Previous Topic:wrong null analysis with enum
Next Topic:Overriding Preferences
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:27:11 GMT 2024