Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » No menu when launching newly built e4 application(problem with e4 tutorial)
No menu when launching newly built e4 application [message #997586] Tue, 08 January 2013 13:29 Go to next message
Christoph Zwirello is currently offline Christoph ZwirelloFriend
hi,

I'm trying to follow this E4 tutorial: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2012/05/10/eclipse-4-final-sprint-part-1-the-e4-application-model/

I can generate a new E4 Application but when I launch it, a new window pops up but there is not content at all. It should contain a toolbar and two menus, but there is nothing.

I downloaded a fresh SDK-4.2.1 build and added the e4 tools from here: http://download.eclipse.org/e4/downloads/drops/R-0.12-201206131100/repository/

Does anybody have a clue what I'm missing here? Why no menus?

-chris
Re: No menu when launching newly built e4 application [message #997597 is a reply to message #997586] Tue, 08 January 2013 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joseph Carroll is currently offline Joseph CarrollFriend

Try using the live model editor ('org.eclipse.e4.tools.emf.liveeditor') to browse the running model. See if your menu/tool items are there.

- JD
Re: No menu when launching newly built e4 application [message #997694 is a reply to message #997597] Tue, 08 January 2013 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Zwirello is currently offline Christoph ZwirelloFriend
hi JD,

I must confess that I'm new to e4, so I might be missing something obvious here.
That said, I found a view called "Live Application Model". There is no distinction between views and editors afaik, and there is nothing else named "live ..." so that must be it (plugin-spy doesn't show useful information for this view for some reason)

Anyway, I see content in this view and the content roughly matches the IDE itself. I can see the main window and menu items like "navigate" and "project". When I start my product and the problematic empty window pops up, the Live Application Model view does not register anything new. Would you say it should now show another window representing my product?

-chris
Re: No menu when launching newly built e4 application [message #999664 is a reply to message #997694] Sat, 12 January 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joseph Carroll is currently offline Joseph CarrollFriend

Not sure if I follow exactly, when you launch your E4App include the org.eclipse.e4.tools.emf.liveeditor (and dependencies). Then when you application starts press ALT+SHIFT+F9 and it will display the running model. Check to see if the toolbar/menu items are listed. If not try generating a new E4 application project with the wizard.

JD
Re: No menu when launching newly built e4 application [message #1002361 is a reply to message #997586] Fri, 18 January 2013 13:10 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Did you clear the persisted state (or workspace) in the second launch when you added toolbars and menus?

If so, check the error log as there should be something if it doesn't show correctly.
Previous Topic:ViewPart's @PostConstruct createControls() not called
Next Topic:No points in EventBroker topics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:22:07 GMT 2024